Verbs review - The Protector

Thread in 'Orion' started by Verbosity, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

ok so I got the protector, and thought I'd share some of my thoughts ( and some I've heard from fellow pilots who've given it a run ).

At it's heart: the torso.
    So there is one big issue with the protector, it's torso, simply put, it's ALL CT, there is no side torsos to speak of, every single one of my many deaths was loss of the CT. This might well have one advantage, if the side torsos are not taking damage then an XL engine is more viable. Ok that might be contentious, but I think we'll see xl engines in these as standard. Additionally , this thing is big and slow, I suspect running an xl 325/250 or even a 360 might be the way to go.

AMS as standard.
    I've never seen any other mech go down as quick under LRM fire, AMS is a must have feature on every build.

Battlefield Role?

Brawler - Due to the torso 'issue' this thing can't brawl, it saddens me to say this, and while its got quite a selection of brawling loadouts, the fact every point of damage goes on the CT makes it fall far to quick. 2/5

Sniper - Sure you can slap a nice sniper loadout into it, and it can do the job well, it's got no JJ's ( so no pop-tarting ). Ok it's a viable sniper, Personally I feel other mechs can do this better. 3/5

Support - you can pull a reasonable lrm30+A in one volley or lrm40+A in 2. Plus you've got the ability to pack a few defensive weaps in there - 3/5

Hard points

It's got great hard points ( 3xE , 2xB ,2xM ). I'm not a fan of mixing weaps in the arms and torso's so you essentially have to drop weapons ( I suspect this will be common ) or have 4/5 weapons groups, which will cause issues for some pilots.

Overall
    This thing moves like an assualt, at least it feels like that. Weaponry wise it's versatile, lacking one single 'punch' factor but you can do a lot with it. Sadly the huge CT ( and it is huge! ) means this mech does not live long at all.
    Is it worth the $30 ? personally I don't feel that it is, and I'm not alone. Most of the pilots I've spoken to refer to it as a "piece of crap". Perhaps this could be justified as a purchase if adjustments were made to the Lt/CT/Rt balance, if it were also on sale.

TL:DR

CT is an issue. A versatile mech that can do a variety of functions. Will have to see what comes out as the dominant builds. Not worth the cost.

2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Im actually hearing from friends who bought it to try it out and a lot of them are pretty pissed that it is such a "crappy mech". A couple are even raging that the Hero Mechs are coming out BEFORE the production variants so that people have to "gamble" on purchasing them mech to see whether it is a good mech or not. Most aren't happy about getting the short end of the stuck considering the mech costs over 5000 MC

3. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Thanks, I was wondering what people thought of it. At 5625 MC I found myself hesitating. :p

4. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

TBH I'm one of them, I didn't really have the cash to spend on it, ended up really disappointed.
    That being said, I've heard that of other mechs ( particularly the BJ and QD ), and they have turned out ok. So I'm still hoping that it'll turn out better. The CT thing? it's a huge issue, This mech dies really really easily - they make XL-jagers look well armoured.

However I wanted to hold back from saying "this is utter shite" just for a few days. is it worth $30 ? hell no, not in a million years, and likely not ever will. that being said. I do feel its justified to insert a "is it worth the monies" bit in the end

BTW - Mason I know it was you, thanks for editing my post for style.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

Honestly Im thinking the K variant is going to be the best version of the Orion. 4xenergy hardpoints-2 in each arm, 1 ballistic in the RT and 2 missile in the LT. For this guys role of slowly lumbering by and dishing out damage while taking a bit himself, the full wallop of 4 energy weapons from nearly any range and the non reliance of ammo i believe will be when this guy shines.

Currently with 2 missiles hardpoints and 2 ballistics on the Protector i run into either weight issues or slot issues because he starts with FF and usually adds endo as well. Relying more on energy will very much help alleviate that.

6. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Reason why I will never buy a Hero before I buy the regular, unless it gets really cool comments. Then again I like to wait for discounts when I buy my hero... Ilya is kind of a special case.

7. imrichking

imrichking New Member

I'm glad to hear that others are having the CT issue. I have only ever died by getting cored. I've asked around and was told to "just twist better". I'm also finding the hard points to be a little awkward. The CT issue screams at you to drop an XL engine in it, but then you're not likely to make the most out of the ballistic hard points. It's fun to play around with something new, but I couldn't recommend it to anyone at this price.

8. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Ahhhhh elitism at its finest!!! A lot of people are used to doing the twist and shout in a Centurion, and that is where this phrase originated, but the Protector is different. It is a walking centre torso and yeah you are gonna get cored, a lot, like a LOT, until they fix it.

9. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Welcome to MechSpecs. :)

I'm hoping PGI takes a balancing pass once the mech has been out for a week to adjust the torsos, as they did with the Kintaro. We'll see. I'm interested in the Orion but little bit discouraged now.

10. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

This is easily my worst hero by a big margin until now. I remember doing 500+ damage with my Heavy Metal without any modifications right after purchasing it. But the Protector? 75t Mechs should be the best mixture of heavies and assaults, but in this thing I struggle to do more damage than with my SDR-5V when leveling Spiders.

Part of the problem is easily that BIG center torso which works like a damage magnet. This makes XL engines very usable, but which in turn costs the ability to mount double UACs or an AC20, rendering the second ballistic hardpoint useless. On top of this, the Atlas-like hardpoints require targets to be on a comparable height level. Man did I struggle on Terra Therma yesterday.

Hopefully the CT gets fixed like the Kintaro's. Otherwise this will probably become my most overpriced unused mech.

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

So after your first impressions the better builds are including XL Engine plus Gauss.Rifle plus Lasers & SRM4(s) right?

12. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

I've not found a build that I really like yet, but I'm leaning more towards 2xLL + 2xAC5 or 3xML + 2 lb10x style builds. That might just be me, I'm not liking the new gauss mechanics.

13. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Probably go for the Dual AC5, since you can use XL with that. You rarely get LT/RT cored anyways judcing from the GIGANTIC CT. Mind as well XL it up for more speed.

14. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

but you must admit, that the Protector has a good choice of Weaponhardpoints.. Look at the large numbers of suggested builds after only two days. Its insane! :rofl:

15. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

oh on that score its fantastic, I mean you can throw loads of things on , and in crazy combinations!

16. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Preview of the upcoming Orion-Variants compared to the Hero-Variant Protector:

If we really get the ON1-K, ON1-M, ON1-V and ON1-VA with the Hardpoints, which smurfy shows, i have mixed feelings.

ON1-K (1x Ballistic RT, 2x Missile LT, 2x Energy LA, 2x Energy RA) - Probably the best after the Protector! You can load strong Laserweapons for Long-Mid Range attacks, and even losing Arms, you still have your Torso.Weapons to go for the Kills! Definitely my first buy.

ON1-M (1x Ballistic RT, 1x Missile LT, 1x Missile CT (!), 1x Missile LA, 1x Energy LA, 2x Energy RA) - The only one, which theoretically can go ZOMBIE! :rofl: Besides you get a very common XL300 Engine which can be used in other Mechs. Not the best, but good!

ON1-V (2x Ballistic RT, 1x Missile LT, 2x Missile LA+RA, 2x Energy LA+RA) - the only one with two ballistic slots, but only two Energyslots? WTF! Can be loaded as strong LRM.Boat or a mixed Allrounder with dual (U)ACs! Thats decent. It will find a new home at my Mechbay.

ON1-VA (1x Ballistic RT, 4x Missile LA+RA, 2x Energy LA+RA) - wow, very strong LRM.Boat, but if you lose Arms, you lose lots of your Firepower, only left with your Ballistic Weapon. Thats pretty bad!

ON1-PT (2x Ballistic RT, 2x Missile LT, 1x Energy LT, 2x Energy LA+RA) - Kerensky*s Baby, and i know now why

So from the Weaponhardpoints, IMO the Protector is the best, because most Weapons are located at the (safe) Sidetorsos. Thats damn good!

[​IMG]

17. Verbosity

Verbosity Dispossessed

ON1-K - I'd rate this over the protector. 4 energy in the arms? Liking that , alot!
    ON1-M - meh no thanks
    ON1-V - not sure about it as a lurm boat, but I like the missiles in the arms, tempted
    ON1-VA - lrm 50 as a single volley or lurm 80 in 2 'nuff said! need to play around a bit, but this might end up my go-to lurm boat

18. Durant Carlyle

Durant Carlyle Star Lord

My impression of the Protector Orion:

One ugly mofo. So much so that even though I want a 75-ton 'Mech I likely won't be buying one. Perhaps one of the other variants will make the appearance different enough to entice me.

19. Leonhart

Leonhart Advanced Member

They are just going to be that stock green unless you change it.

20. Durant Carlyle

Durant Carlyle Star Lord

lol

Thanks for the laugh.

In case it wasn't clear, I was not complaining about the colors used for the Protector. I think the MW:O version of the Protector Orion 'Mech itself is ugly as sin, and I'm hoping that the differing default weapon loadouts of the other variants will change some of the appearance to where it'll be acceptable for me to own one.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast