Upcoming variants

Thread in 'Griffin' started by Aylek, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Originally built in 2492, the Griffin has seen classification as an assault, heavy, and finally as a medium 'Mech. Because of its popularity with the militaries of the Inner Sphere, the design has seen production long past the point that most 'Mechs would be retired from service. Because of the Griffin's weapons payload, the design excels in direct fire support and sniper roles. Additionally, the Griffin has a great deal of maneuverability, with a maximum speed of 86.4 kph. A jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters means the Griffin can keep up with most lighter 'Mechs and outmaneuver most heavier designs.

GRF-1N
    The primary weapon on the Griffin is a Fusigon PPC. The PPC allows the Griffin to work at a long-range fire sniper role. This is backed up by a Delta Dart LRM-10 launcher. The LRM launcher gives the Griffin some indirect fire support capabilities. The Achilles heel of the design is its lack of short-range weapons, for when an enemy is capable of closing ranges and engaging in close quarters combat.

GRF-1S
    The 1S attempted to rectify the 1N's lack of close range weapons by removing the PPC, in favor of a Large Laser and two Medium Lasers. The LRM 10 was replaced with an LRM 5. To help manage the heat load, the 'Mech also had four additional heat sinks added to the design.

GRF-3M
    The 3M Griffin was an upgraded version of the design that sought to enhance its long-range capabilities. The engine was exchanged for an extralight engine, and the standard heat sinks for double heat sinks. The PPC was replaced by an ER PPC, for longer reach at the expense of more heat, and the LRM launcher had been upgraded to an LRM-20 launcher, for more indirect fire support capabilities. Two different plants, Earthwerks Incorporated at Keystone and Brigadier Corporation at Oliver, manufactured the variant at once.

On April 21st, 2015 another variant will come to the Inner Spheres' battlefield:

GRF-2N
    The SLDF's Royal Griffin was introduced in 2751 and mounted an ER PPC, two SRM-6 launchers, and a Guardian ECM Suit. The heat-sinks were upgraded to double-strength models and the ammo was protected by CASE. To fit all this, the armor was changed to Ferro-Fibrous and the chassis was made of Endo-Steel.

Sources: PGI, Sarna.net

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Im wondering if there are any differences in the weaponhardpoints & -locations. :rolleyes:

3. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Simple, one has a 5-tube launcher, one has a 10-tube launcher, and one has a 20-tube launcher.

4. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

if that's the case i would probably skip this mech to go elite :rofl:

5. Sergeant Death

Sergeant Death New Member

would be a waste of potential to make 3 Griffin Variants with only different missletube numbers... :whacko:

hope they will have different numbers of Hardpoints, like one with more missles, one with more ballistics :phear:

6. Serious Table

Serious Table Well-Known Member

Considering what they did with the other Phoenix Mechs, it's safe to say that the loadouts on this Mech are going to be pretty varied as far as hardpoints go. You might, however, see that left arm remain entirely unused as part of a quirk of the Chassis (see: Centurion, Awesome), but the left Torso is likely to get some hardpoints on at least one variant.

7. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Centurion gets a bonus with the shield arm, I hope this guy get that also.

8. Ryoken

Ryoken New Member

If there is any logic involved my guess for hardpoints is:
    GRF-1S: 4x Energy in right arm (Quad-Large Laser!) and 2x Missile in right torso
    GRF-3M: 2x Energy in right arm and 4x Missile in right torso

Yet it's kinda funny as there also is an GRF-1DS which is basically the same as the GRF-3M switching ERPPC for LPL, so I guess GRF-1DS will never come or be Hero or st?

And sure the later royal Griffin with ECM would be awesome! Hope one day we will get that one! :rolleyes:

Also GRF-6S with torso mounted energy hardpoints looks nice.

9. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I will have much to discuss about these mechs!

10. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

From All of them three i like the 3M the most. Quadstreaks has been proven strong on the Shadow Hawk. Add a LLas in the Arm and a MLas in the Torso and you have a great Damagedealer. The 1N is ok, similar to a SRM.Cent but with JJs though i doubt it has equal survivability. The 1S with four energy hardpoints in the arm is good for pinpoint.damage but if you lose that arm you are left with only two missile pods in the torso.

11. Aylek

I think they are all boring as hell. Even the best of the bunch (3M) is inferior to the SHD-2D2, but of which all chassis are very viable.

This. SHD-2D2 got the energy hardpoints in it's arms PLUS another ballistic hardpoint. I simply don't see the point in using the GRF-3M.

[quote author=Blagg Zear link=topic=3976.msg30598#msg30598 date=1385960807]The 1N is ok, similar to a SRM.Cent but with JJs though i doubt it has equal survivability.[/quote]

ERLL, 2ML & 3x SSRM2 might be good here, but as with all GRF your enemies will go for it's right torso. "OK" already is the most optimistic evaluation possible without being flamed I guess

[quote author=Blagg Zear link=topic=3976.msg30598#msg30598 date=1385960807] The 1S with four energy hardpoints in the arm is good for pinpoint.damage but if you lose that arm you are left with only two missile pods in the torso.[/quote]

Energy-YLW comes to my mind, comparable to CN9-AL or KTO-20 with a massive punch coming from the right arm. And pretty much nothing else after that thing got blown off. How much weight might be left for the missile hardpoints when mounting anything bigger than 4 ML in that arm when already mounting an XL325 / 350 and carrying reasonable armor?

I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but when seeing what both SHDs and KTOs bring to the battlefield, I don't see a reason to pilot a GRF instead.

EDIT: If only there was a choice to just take the Wolverines only for half the Sabre Enforcement's prize tag...

12. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Yepp Aylek you are speaking true words. Can't disagree. I think most dudes would if ever buy the Griffin just to up their Mech.collection. Not because of interesting hardpoints

13. enileph

enileph Star Lord

MAKE A ZOMBIE HUGGER!

Griffin GRF-3M
    Engine: 275 STD
    Armor: 358 (FF)
    Internal Structure: ENDO

Weapons & Equipment:

Left Torso: MLas
    Right Torso: 4x SRM6, 6 tons of ammo.
    Right Arm:

Heat Sinks: 10 Double
    Jump Jets: 3

Mix and match between ammo, MLas, DHS, and JJ.

Jumping Kintaro IOW, pretty nice. You cannot build this with a SHD as much as I would like it, and while you can do the same thng with a KTO basically, you would lack JJ.

If you want you can go for 4x SRM6+A even, something definitely the shadowhawk2D2 cannot do.
    I see 3M as a SRM6 carrier rather than for streaks. If you want streaks SHD-2D2 is better.

14. Ryoken

Ryoken New Member

Ok so I was right about the two other Griffin variants, only predicted one energy hardpoint wrong.
    Well I hope the ability to use the whole left side of the Griffin as shield will make this mech also a choice for competitive setups.
    Is there a realease date for the smurfy implementation?

15. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Patch day most likely unless he ferrets the data sooner.

16. John McFianna

John McFianna Active Member

Sadly the Griffin screams: Kill my right torso... and make me (nearly, in 2 variants it keeps 1 energy hardpoint) weaponless. Considering that the "Missile-Drum" is a visible target.... you will need speed and a shield arm...

17. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

just like every other Medium mech? or how people like to run Highlanders with dual UAC5 and PPC?

18. Aylek

I am so excited to add the 2N to the list... This is a mech I proposed to Russ several times to balance the weight of ECM-capable mechs in CW.

GRF-2N
    The SLDF's Royal Griffin was introduced in 2751 and mounted an ER PPC, two SRM-6 launchers, and a Guardian ECM Suit. The heat-sinks were upgraded to double-strength models and the ammo was protected by CASE. To fit all this, the armor was changed to Ferro-Fibrous and the chassis was made of Endo-Steel.

Did I already say I am excited? :D

Educated guess how this might look like (the BAP being a placeholder for the ECM):

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    epikt and The Verge like this.
  19. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I mentioned it in another thread, but this one makes me happy. I bought a Sparky and a GRF-3M, but wasn't sure what I wanted for my third mech in this chassis. That question has now been answered.

20. enileph

enileph Star Lord

This one. BAP as the ECM.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast