"Two-Face" Arrow pattern and XL engine

Thread in 'Blackjack' started by epikt, Jun 3, 2014.

1. epikt

epikt Benefactor

The point was raised by Aylek while we were testing the Arrow and I think he's quite right: the pattern may draw enemies to shoot at side torsos more than on regular Blackjacks - especially on the bright side - and make XL engines more of a threat.

[​IMG]

A monochromatic paint job would prevent this.

[img width=500 height=500]http://i.imgur.com/QHklXK2.jpg[/img]

Any thought?

Personally I would never drop the left/right bicolored pattern even if it actually gave a disadvantage, but I always preferred a beautiful mech to an effective one. ;)
    (same with the YLW, I know people who paint it so it looks like a regular Centurion in order to make the AC/20 less a target, but I never gave up the sun pattern)

2. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

I would never drop camo from a Hero 'Mech purely for an in-game advantage! The very idea . . . sheesh! :whacko: :rofl: :cool:

Honestly, though, I don't usually change camo on my Hero 'Mechs, and I don't plan to for this one. IT LOOKS WAY TO AWESOME!!! You do have a good point though, epikt, that one side or the other will more likely (or more easily) be targeted with an asymmetrical camo such as this, than with a symmetrical one. And that being the case, XL engine might indeed be a bad idea on the Arrow. Still, it is a small 'Mech, with relatively small hit-boxes, so I think overall most deaths should still come from CT being destroyed. Though I may be wrong, as I haven't actually bought and run the Arrow yet. Still trying to be patient and wait for a sale . . . but it's gonna be tough!

3. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I actually color both sides purple, but that is more because I cannot find a good golden color for the side that is not purple. Right now I am going for all (light) purple with golden highlights. Looks pretty nice actually.

I usually make the Hero mech color stand out, that having said, my YLW is all black. :rofl: :rofl:

PS:
    With a basic engine of 235 I wish they would have raised the max engine to 255+, I mean, the 1x has it at 295, right?
    Hope they will change that later.
    Other than that, things are great.

4. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Which specific purple are you using?

Not sure I'd want to change the scheme though. Only mech I have done that with was the IVY-IV because that was awful.

5. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

IF I decide to pick this mech up (and that's a big 'if' these days after a disappointing $22 purchase on the IVY) I'll have to go UMAD. Hot Rod Red and Black. Only way to fly the flag! :D

6. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

Why are you disappointed with the IV? Is it because of the mech or because of the state of the game? Ivy looked pretty solid to me, even though I would never buy it.

7. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Pleione or Psikez.

8. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I was hoping for it to feel like a Jager with articulated arms and JJs. Instead, it's quite slow (engine size limit) and feels sluggish as to what I expected. (XL320 is my usual in a QKD)

The lack of armor and movement speed/maneuverability, and, weight loss combine to make the lower mounted weapons really not worth the benefit I perceived from the articulated arms. I was really looking forward to Dual AC/10s with full range of motion. It's great for lights and quick mediums to be able to track them quickly up close, however, the Jager just really has it beat with the higher mounts (giving much more protection) and larger engine capability.

However, back on topic, I am more and more interested in this new Blackjack (I just freaking love my Jacks) and I actually like the paint scheme. I agree, the 1/2 'n' 1/2 may focus the eye on one side more than the other, but, perhaps I'll just go with a black and dark maroon.

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

If you're a Jack enthusiast the only reason not to buy this mech (beside the obvious "it costs real money") is if you don't like MGs: ALL the builds you'll do on this mech will mount MGs (the same way all YLW mount AC/20 or dual UAC: if you don't use 3 or more ballistics hardpoints the BJ-1 is better).
    You're not forced to go with 6 MGs though: I'm currently running AC/20, 2 MLas and 3 MGs and it's absolutely great, it might become my favourite Blackjack, over the classic BFG BJ-1.