Theorycrafting the BJ-2

Thread in 'Blackjack' started by Cpt Chattahah, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

So, I'm not sure if anyone else is as excited for the SRM Blackjack to drop as I am, but DAAAAAAAMN SKIPPY I'M PUMPED!!!

So, to start the conversation ball a-rollin', lets talk builds. Grab any 4x missile, 2x energy mech and load up 45t with a max engine of 235 and 306 max armor. Lets see what we can do!

For discussion, I'll be using the Loopy De Derpy.

First thing I'll load up will definitely be the obvious SRM-centric build.

Frontload that alpha with SRM6+As, SPL or MLas for backup, strip the off-arm of armor, pop in the max engine and a single JJ for some rock hops. 860 damage worth of ammo. Should be good if the BJ doesn't turn out to be too fragile to brawl in that range. My experience with a short range BJ-1X leaves me questioning this.

Next up, the BJ with STDs!

If the XL is just too sore, I'll throw in an STD and SRM4s with a single MPL. Not quite as intimidating of an alpha, but still a quick and stout little brawler mid platform.

Or, sacrifice a little speed and keep the alpha up. You lose your energy backup and armor in both arms (not that they shield much anyway), but gain 1t of ammo.

Alternatively, there's the semi-light hunter;

While I hate Streaks, with TAG and an LPL, it shouldn't be too bad. Also, with the BJ-2 coming stock with SSRMs, I wouldn't be shocked to see some Streak quirks.

Finally, you can go full-on annoying and ripple off some LRM5s. (not my bag, but hell, I know some of you assholes will do it.) ;)

So, what are you guys thinking? Pumped up to finally get a Jack with some missiles? Couldn't care less? Whaddaya got?

PyckenZot and Excalibaard like this.
  2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

You already took all the viable missile weapons in the game xD

The 5th ton can be 2x JJ or a DHS because there are no Lower arm or hand actuators on the BJ-2. I think artemis is better though, might want to do 2x SL instead of 1x SPL. If it has spread reduction quirks it could be interesting to forgo artemis for other advantages, 4t of ammo is a bit low for quad sixes. Blackjacks can brawl decently in urban environment.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. Cpt Chattahah

Well, then... So long and thanks for all the fish! :D

4. Excalibaard

You just wait until I turn you into a whale and a bowl of petunias.

5. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Because it's me:

(ps. calling dibs on this build already)

The Zot

(c'mon take a wild guess here,...)

(yes really,...)

Shock and Excalibaard like this.
  6. Excalibaard

because you can doesn't mean you should ;P

scratch that, you definitely should.

@ the BJ2 you can't take all that armor, but you can put all that in a very much needed DHS.

7. Cpt Chattahah

Jacks are only 45t w/ 306 max armor, a bit smaller than the Loopy De Durpy I was using as a placeholder. (same hardpoints as the BJ-2) So, you could pull those weapons, but you'd be warm and a little slower.

PyckenZot and Excalibaard like this.
  8. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

Wasn't paying attention,... lunch break at work and being lazy :banghead: my bad.