TBT-5J Poptart (1x LRM20+A, 1x LLas, 2x MLas, AMS, XL250)

Thread in 'TBT-5J' started by c2.fox0, Feb 20, 2013.

1. c2.fox0

c2.fox0 New Member

I am new to this and noticed that there are no posts for this mech yet. I thought I would help pave the way to cookie cutter mechs in this thread. Feel free to tear it apart and share your thoughts!

The idea behind this mech was to use jump jets to get in a nice place to toast and pop up fire LRMs. it can be modified for 2 large lasers instead of 2 med and 1 large. The large laser is to support long range conflict while the medium lasers are to help when a scout finds you out. I have only battle tested this once and the test worked well. Other than that, this has little experience and I am sure needs some work. Rip it up, test it out, feel around for changes and let me know!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. Axefan

Axefan Benefactor

Not much LRM ammo. I'd drop 2 or 3 jump jets and load up on ammo instead.

3. LackofCertainty

LackofCertainty New Member

Haven't managed to grab myself a treb yet, but I just wanted to provide some feedback on the build.

Major flaws:
    1. You have an XL engine + Case.
    Case does nothing when paired with XL engines. Case prevents ammo explosions from spreading, but they still destroy the location they're in, which will kill your mech because of the XL engine.

2. You only have 1 ton of LRM Ammo with an LRM 20.
    6 shots from an LRM 20 is not enough to make an LRM20 worth it, and especially not if you load Artemis too.

Minor flaws:
    3. AMS seems out of place.
    Your mech is fairly fast, and has jumpjets and an LRM as it's primary weapon. You shouldn't be taking LRM damage often, so the AMS is unnecessary.

4. Artemis is questionable.
    Artemis only works when you maintain line of sight, so it seems a little odd on a poptart mech.

5. Bap is questionable.
    If you're popping in and out of cover, you won't be spotting, so taking a module to increase your sensor range doesn't matter. (You'll still be limited by your teammates spotting, and by the 1000m lrm max range)

Suggestions:
    1. Pull out Case. (+1 slot, +.5 tons)
    2. Pull out Bap. (+3 slots, +2 tons)
    3. Pull out AMS. (+5 slots, +3.5 tons)
    3. Pull out Artemis. (+6 slots, +4.5 tons)
    4. Add 2 tons of LRM ammo (+4 slots, 2.5 tons)
    5. Add 1 more DHS (+1 slot, +1.5 tons)
    6. Pull off .5 tons of armor (+1 slot, +2 tons)
    7. Add 2 ML's (-1 slot, +0 tons)

You said in your build you had 1 slot open, so that should perfectly fill your mech, and give you enough ammo to keep the LRM's flying, and still have plenty of firepower to keep away people who want to prey on your juicy mech. Will probably run pretty hot, but should be a definite improvement over what you have atm.

Another option, would be to drop the large laser and 2 of the ML's to give you enough room for a PPC/ERPPC. Downside is then you have to account for aiming a projectile and lasers. Upside is it would add to your long range damage, and possibly help when dealing with ECM.

4. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

Incorrect on the Case. Case does not work in MWO like it does in TT. Case will protect your XL engine in MWO.

5. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

It has been shown that Case in fact does not protect your XL engine. C.A.S.E in MWO is designed to prevent damage from spreading form a side torso into the CT. However it will not prevent any damage form within the Side Torso itself, meaning it WILL damage your XL being stored in that Side Torso. This has been discussed to great length both here and I'm sure on the MWOmercs Forums.

At this point it is irrefutable. Please do not confuse players by mixing this up unless you have very hard evidence.

6. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny MechSpecs Addict

My mistake. I've researched it again and all the written evidence now points to your choice.

7. Marukeru

Marukeru Benefactor

Simple mistake. It would be nice if it could just keep the ammo from doing ANY internal damage, but alas, it does not.

8. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

That would be CASE II, which is level 3 tech.

9. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Opinions~
    1. an LRM 20 in a 15 tube slot. bad use.
    2. too many DHS. use for ammo or more weapons.
    3. not enough armor, reduce to LRM15 for armor.
    4. good brawling with current laser setup, would add 1 more ML.

a poor build, but it could be good.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast