Stealth armor: everything you know and have verified.

Thread in 'MechWarrior Online' started by CarloArmato, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

The idea is to keep this thread up to date with the recent changes and to clarify some small (but yet very important) details, because both sides of the intel (your teams and the enemy's) matters to you as a scout.

If there is something I'm not sure of (because I read it somewhere in the internet), I'll leave a To Be Verified mark (TBV)

While in stealth mode:
    • you can't be targeted... (*)
    • you do not appear like any other mech on thermal view.
    • you have limited lock range. It will looks like every enemy has ECM on it, so you have to move closer to hold a lock or to lock any target that has been targeted by a friend (the last part needs TBV, I'm not really sure about it)
    • you will have crippled heat dissipation.
      • In hot maps you will always build heat, especially when moving.
      • In heat-neutral maps you will build heat while moving and often just by standing still. Sometimes you don't build up heat if you are not moving, but you won't cool down.
      • In cold maps, you don't heat up while moving or you can even cool down but VERY slowly (not worth it if you are blocking any Line Of Sight with the enemy).
    • (*) ... unless someone had already a lock you before you activated the stealth (TBV)
    • you are visible to seismic sensors (TBV, someone claims this)
    • if you overheat, when shutting down the stealth will automatically be turned off. I guess you can die while overriding and in stealth mode (TBV)
    • your ECM will automatically switch to "counter mode" (TBV, whenever I was closing in to an enemy, they always entered the "low signal" state... And it was unwanted. I didn't want to give any clue about my presence)
    • when stealth is turned off, a cooldown will start before you can reactivate stealth mode. It will last around 30 seconds without skills. (the actual timer needs TBV)
    • it is not affected by a BAP / cAP / cLAP (it should be true but I didn't actually tested it, so it needs TBV)
    • you can spot with UAVs, NARC and TAG as usual, even if you don't see they are actually working (TBV)
    • You can be TAGged and NARCed as usual (TBV)
    Questions:
    • When I'm stealth mode and I shut down my mech, do I blink on enemy sensors? I guess when I power up only the ECM will be onlined, so yes, I should blink if the enemy is close enough to have a lock on me.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Aramuside and The Verge like this.
  2. Gneckes31

Gneckes31 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, UAVs and NARC do not counter stealth armor, but PPC hits and TAG do.

3. Ragnahawk

Ragnahawk Well-Known Member

BAP breaks stealth armor....

4. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

Are you really sure about it? I've read somewhere (and it also makes sense) that stealth armor won't be affected by BAP/cAP, otherwise stealth armor would be utterly useless since it would be fully reliable only when used from a distance... There would be literally no point to use it over ECM-only because most mid/long range weapon will heat up your mech quickly.

From my experience, I sneaked up a couple of times in the middle of the enemy team to launch a UAV and despite half of the enemy team saw me, I never received a warning about "incoming missiles". The only time I did it was because I thought my stealth was active and it wasn't (D'OH!).
    Actually it could be that nobody on the enemy team with ATM/LRM/SSRM made it in time look at me and to hold a lock on me, but I find it unlikely.

EDIT: took from the MWO official forum
    So it looks like if you disable your stealth, you enter in ECM disrupt mode. BAP negate the effects of your ECM, so you can be targeted and locked normally even if you reactive your stealth (or if you attempt to activate it, it will fail... I don't know). This should be verified.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. Gneckes31

Gneckes31 Well-Known Member

I think there was something in the patch notes recently about BAP/cAP no longer countering Stealth Armor, but I could be wrong.

6. Ragnahawk

Ragnahawk Well-Known Member

Yeah.. Frustrating. That should be my go to button when I see my ECM canceled.

7. Aramuside

Aramuside Star Lord