So about these little guys...

Thread in 'Commando' started by FallguySoldier, Jul 18, 2014.

1. FallguySoldier

FallguySoldier New Member

... are they still useful on the battlefield?

This past week I must have seen only a couple of Commandos. Most of the lights I've seen were either Clan-tech or Ravens (unsurprising) and Spiders (even more unsurprising). Hell, I've seen more Locusts on the battlefield than Commandos..

So what happened exactly? Are Commandos just no longer useful? Or do they seem more catered towards premades as opposed to pugs? Or are they just simply way too squishy now that there are so many mechs available?

The reason why I'm asking all this is because: a) for quite some time I've been eyeing on the Commando since they're so cheap; b) because there's a need for light mechs in every match now apparently; and c) the simple fact that I've been personally neglecting light mechs in general (I only have Sarah's Jenner and the three Locusts from the Phoenix package). But now I'm starting to wonder if Commandos may be more of a liability now. I'm thinking maybe I'm better off going with the Firestarter. They kind of look like the "big brother" of Commandos in appearance and loadout... But then so why would I choose the Commando over the Firestarter, you know?

2. Business

Business Advanced Member

I've seen daring pilots taking a few variants of the Commando more often than before. The NARC boost places it into a very useful role for any team, especially the 2D equipped with the TAG/ECM/NARC death combo. Additionally, the profile of the Commando is such that it is more likely to be accidentally stepped on than shot at.

I mean, seriously, do you know just how fucking tiny it is? It makes a Firestarter look like an Atlas. It's so adorable!

3. FallguySoldier

I guess... I was literally on a match JUST now prior to posting this and I saw a Commando get taken down pretty quickly early on. :( I'll just give the benefit of the doubt that the player wasn't skilled with the mech..

Hmm, I guess the job of recon would be something a Commando would excel at, but considering I only pug I'm not sure if my role will be very effective. I don't know if it's an elo thing or I'm just paired with bad teams but no one ever listens or follows orders, let alone issue orders, so I feel like as a Commando I would be more of a liability than if I were just simply a pure damage-dealing mech.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

They're not that cheap, since they require an XL engine costing from 3.2M (XL195) to 3.9M (XL240). Plus the DHS and other upgrades it might cost you something like 7 millions.
    The worst part being their engine range is pretty uncommon so you won't be able to use it on other mechs, except for some awkward build (contrary to Spiders, Ravens or Jenner would usually mount very versatile XL255/280/300).

That being said, I find the Commandos very fun to pilot. It's fast, the arms are very mobile. But to be honest I don't drop a lot with them, way less than with my Jenners, and it's not the mech I'd recommend for a first light mech.

5. FallguySoldier

I see. I figured I would need an XL engine for it but I didn't know the available range is uncommon. :( Would you recommend I go with a Firestarter instead? Or would that open up another can of worms, so to speak?

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I recommend Jenner myself. They have a great range of engines, and can carry some great weapons for a IS light mech.

7. FallguySoldier

Hmm, well I already have Sarah's Jenner, which I love. :) I was curious about trying other light mechs. I would like to avoid Spiders and Ravens only because they seem overused though...

8. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Firestarter is good also 100-295 s ok. Sure you cannot have the XL300 on them, but XL280 is useful also.
    Until you get the XL295, whuch is useful on a number of stuff.

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Jenner and Firestarter are both pretty strong.
    The Firestarter can pack a huge firepower, either with 8 lasers (if you can handle the heat) or MGs. It also have a variant with double AMS if you like this kind of stuff. The best variant is obviously the Ember, but it's only available from real money.
    I will recommend the Jenner though, mostly because of where the lasers are located, high on the arms allowing picking without the need to be exposed too much. I also like how all variants are useful and provide different playstyles: the -F is an impressive laser-boat; the -D can mount 2 SRM4s for a brawly setup or 2 streaks for anti-light purpose; as for the -K it has been put down for long but now that the NARC is viable it makes a very good support/spotter mech (NARC + 4 modules slots). And of course the Oxide kicks serious ass if you like SRMs.

All this might look a little biased so I suggest you make few runs with the trial mechs. They're not the best builds imho but you'll get some idea of how the mechs feel.

10. FallguySoldier

Thanks guys, you all brought up some good points. I'll take a look at my options then.. :)

11. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

I'm actually going to buy three mando's today. I only have the following list left to get anyways which goes to show you I play this game too much. :)

• Commandos (which I like cause they are tiny, have 1 with ECM, can do NARCing real sweet, will be a real challenge to pilot).
    • Firestarters (which I probably will go for next as they are the light mechs with the most firepower but they are energy only, apart from the Ember, and less interesting for that reason).
    • Kintaros (which are cool given the SRM changes but also a bit of a one trick pony as they are all about missiles)
    • Dragons (which are cool for iconic reasons as a Battlemech out of history but not a mech that impresses me much unfortunately)
    • Highlanders (which again are cool for iconic reasons and something I look forwards to playing eventually but it's been so overused by the metagamers that I have delayed getting them).

12. FallguySoldier

Pretty cool, man. I hope you'll enjoy the Commandos. :)

Yeah I noticed that the Firestarters seem to be energy-based, but I guess I'm okay with that so-long as heat management doesn't become an issue over time. (But with my luck though, I get Terra Therma almost all the time... I swear, that and Alpine Peaks are the only maps that exist in this game.)

Once PGI properly implements 3/3/3/3 (if they are gonna) then I might get into the Kintaros because they could potentially be effective light hunters since the variants are missile-heavy. (I'm thinking of packing on SSRMs. :phear:)

I would like to love the Dragons for the same reason that they are iconic but the tonnage and loadout combos of the variants always make me feel like they are hit-or-miss, possibly more "miss" since I only pug...

13. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

I've had a lot of funs running the mando's tonight with my lance. Surprisingly long life span which I attribute to them being the little guys they are and both missed and dismissed for larger threats. Pff...fear me - I have 2 MLAS and 2 SRM4's zooming around at 155 kph until I get speedtweak, then 171. Totally viable still but they do take a lot of work, one bad mistake and you're dead. :)

105 mechs total now - still finding new gameplay with the Commando's.

14. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I feel like strapping an ER PPC to a Commando and calling it Don Quixote.

15. enileph

enileph Star Lord

DO NOT BUY THE K TYPE JENNER. DO NOT DO IT.

***The module system is going to change soon***, so before that, we are not sure if the modules are going to be better. If they are getting worse (like having 3 weapon module as default) then you get a sub-par piece of shit. However, if after the changes the module on the K is oooking good then, it may be a viable option.

I know epikt like the K type, but it is better to wait and see when it comes to mech with extra module slots as functions.

16. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You speak wisely.
    That being said, I DON'T CARE AND I ALREADY BOUGHT THE JR7-K TWICE! :rofl:

17. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Well unless he buys an Oxide, he's going to need to basic a 3rd Jenner to get Elites.

18. enileph

enileph Star Lord

Oxide is fun. :D

Then again you are not a newbie, and your jenners are like totally leveled.
    I have a type K too, maybe one day it would be better, after the modules? There is a chance they give it all combi-slots, unlikely but still.

19. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

The problem with the Jenner K's most viable striker/dogfighter build - 4MPLas - is that you don't actually run cooler when you consider the 2 DHS you lose compared to an F with 6 MLas. Great lasing, but worse damage.

20. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Not to mention you're losing on range.

On my MPLas JR7-K I chose to downgrade the engine in order to mount more DHS, the cooling is similar to the 6 MLas varriant.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast