SDR-5D Balls of Steel (2x PPC, 1x JJ, ECM, XL225)

Thread in 'SDR-5D' started by epikt, May 13, 2013.

1. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Edit of 3rd December 2013: The first build posted here was some kind of a joke build I saw in game and tried to reverse-engineer. But with 2 ERPPCs, it was definitely too hot.
    The second one was the build I used for the "top of the flop" challenge, meaning it did not have any armor. Fun to play, but enjoy being one-shot!

But 2 PPCs on a spider actually works. So here is how I finally tweaked it, which is imho the most optimized loadout. You can find the old post and build at he end of this message.

Role:
    It's a support for the pack. On the defensive side it provides ECM cover. On the offensive side it's a good harasser, flanker and ECM disabler (for the last point you might want to fire only one PPC at a time). It works great with a mobile lance of mediums.
    It's definitely not a scout or a capper, as it's an easy prey to all light or anti-light around.

Few words about the build:
    - XL225 is kind of the best engine you can have. Lower and you can't upgrade to ferro-fibrous anymore (it gains you 7 armor points; it might seam not that high, but out of 53 it's more than 13%!) because of the crits taken by the second external DHS. One more internal DHS is also better for cooling. Higher engines will cost you a lot of armor (or, worse, the jet) for only minor speed bonus.
    - JJ is in my opinion mandatory. It allows some poke-shots, but it also allows to steady your aim when you're flying, for much better accuracy than if you were running at 130km/h on an uneven terrain. I wish I could mount more jets, 1 is kind of little on a spider, but I'm really short on tonnage and I preferred a little more survivability.

We might compare this build with the jenner equivalent. The spider is:
    - of similar speed (slightly higher)
    - of similar cooling efficiency (slightly lower)
    - much less armored (53 compared to 215, it divided by 4!)
    - equipped with ECM
    In a word, by choosing the spider over the jenner you trade armor for stealth.
    (you also lose the ability to mount the PPCs on two different locations)

Pros:
    - so fun to play
    - stealthy
    - high pin-point alpha

Cons:
    - extremely weakly armored
    - kinda hot, you can't fight sustained engagements
    - 90m minimum range of the PPCs

First post archived (May 13, 2013)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Moderator, please fix that awful typo on the title. Shame on me.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I thought it was actually quite clever. As in kill stealing LOL

Regardless, I changed it at your request.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Yes, it worked too, but it felt weird :D
    Thanks for the edit.

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Looking at this design?!?!?! WTF LOL you could explode and die just by being around people using harsh language.

0 Armor? Really? LOL I've NEVER seen this before.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Once a friend of mine mounted a gauss on his spider, no armor as well as far as I remember.

We all agree, it's a joke build. But actually he (the 2*ERPPC guy) did a pretty good job on the match I saw him. He played sneaky hit and run tactic, dealing ~350dmg and 2 kills. But I guess most of the time he doesn't last long.

7. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

To use the vulgar argot, "That build is whack!"

8. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I just thought this was an attempt to one-up Soy's build ;)

9. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I tested it for the top of the flop challenge.
    ERPPCs are way too hot, but standard PPCs do the job pretty nicely! Pleasant surprise, the build actually is not useless, most of the time I deal a significant amount of damage before I die.
    XL200 was too slow, on running speed but also on torso twisting speed, so I upgraded for an XL235. Less heat efficient, but at least manoeuvrable.

10. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I saw this build get a team kill and 2 legit kills by shadow ninja. It is quite sneaky! but an average build at best. I will attempt to optimize.

11. PilotSerenity

PilotSerenity Well-Known Member

I was thinking of the same build in my mind (because I'm using a Spider-5D single ER PPC build) and now I realize that it will result to a smaller engine so bad. Although I should try this too and put some armors in exchange of the ECM since this is an ultimate sniper build and i don't need to support my team with the ECM btw, this is for me only

And sir Michael is right, I see a lot of noobs shooting random mechs in their team, one shot in the torso then that guy is History, LOL I saw a different mech with 0 armor at all, after targeting and getting closer to him, I can see him moving backwards I think he is sniper class too...and of course I am merciful I just ignored him

LOL you observed him very well...
    xD one shot on the right arm, OMG where are my weapons

12. The Verge

perfected and recorded pain. The best.

13. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Damn, 2 ERPPCs on Thera therma, enjoy your overheat!

14. The Verge

I did, and the enemy paid dearly for my oversight :)

15. Marcti

Marcti New Member

Started playing this game for 15 days now and i dont think i am good enough yet to play this build lol

16. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

It's not how good, it's how brave! :D

17. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

A heavy dose of crazy might help, too.

18. The Verge

Have you ever been in a Jazz band? or Concert? or Marching?

PS-all crazy, all the time. Just; evenly spread; like butter.

19. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

Because, as the Dwarf Fortress players say, "losing is fun." Or at least, dying when someone looks at you funny.

For the record, this was used for the "All PPCs" 12-man drop in Mechspecs Mayhem 2013-11-15. It exploded.

20. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Oh wow, you actually managed to keep the ECM on?

Such ppc, very alpha. Wow.

Amount of stars = amount of PPCs ratings are legit amirite?

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast