[Request] Locust gameplay video

Thread in 'Locust' started by epikt, Nov 12, 2014.

1. PyckenZot

PyckenZot Benefactor

I may have some recordings. I'll check tomorrow.

2. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Well, I singled out the one good match into a separate video and it completed uploading, the other one is over an hour long and will be uploading for A WHILE.

In the meantime, here is the really good match I had:

It will be a while, but the rest will be in this video:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    DaniBot and Excalibaard like this.
  3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Thank you very much!
    Very impressive game on Forzen, it deserves it's entry on the "saved the day" thread.
    Few things I noticed:
    - you're standing still much more than I though. I suppose it's a matter of where and when standing still without taking a hit, but that's actually a relief since I have problems aiming with MLas at full speed;
    - seismic is really useful;
    - you're taking very long detours - my main issue probably, in Jenner I can be aggressive, be frontal somehow and risk to take a hit, but in Locust meeeeh...

I'll watch the long video later, thank you.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

First drop on a 5 SPLas build: 6 kills! I'm so godlike!

[​IMG]

I watch the whole video, that was helpful.
    Good tips on the little back/forward moves (can't do that on a Jenner, but the Locust's acceleration is impressive)(edit: do you use throttle decay?) and baiting. There's still something I can't do, it's moving far away from the pack, I'm more used to work as a flanker (and quickly retreat to the team as soon as I'm chased) than as a backstabber lonewolf.
    Also, even when I get the kills, my damage output is far from yours (I don't think I ever passed 500).
    But I'm improving over the last days! :smug:

What about 6 SLas on the -1E? does the +60% range perk make it viable?

I looked at the quirks and unfortunately none of the laser boat variant has MLas quirks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  5. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

From my experience recently, it kind of works and kind of doesn't. It doesn't have the pitiful normal range that small lasers usually do. You can shoot at targets a decent ways away and know you're doing some damage. But the range and damage do not compare to medium lasers. It doesn't have the dps of spl's, especially compared to the 3M. The only big advantage is how little heat they produce and that you can run it with a std190;).

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I'll stick with the -3M then, and change the loadouts when I want.

Anyway, I collected my games from last two days (except two I had recording problem, too bad because it was games where I was under pressure, it could have been interesting) in a video. It's pretty long (~50min) so you don't have to watch it all, but I'd appreciate some feedback about the mistakes I make, that kind of things.

I'm happy enough with my performance on the first game (Therra Therma). Though I feel really helpless against other light mechs, like this Commando I couldn't even out run.
    Second game (Forzen City) was awful, I had no idea what to do. The team was absolutely terrible, it sure didn't help.
    Third game was awful also, with an even worst team if possible. But my game froze in the middle, I had to alt-tab to fix it, so ShadowPlay wasn't able to record it.
    Fourth game, yet another terrible team... :( but good performance of mine, at least by my standards. Unfortunately no recording again.
    Fifth game (Alpine), finally a good team! And one of my best Locust performances (I think it's the first time I get 4 kills).

Second session, after viewing your videos and with your 5 SPLas build.

First game was one of my best. Loosy start, but then efficient kill stealing.
    Second game was on a bad team again, Turretwarrior online... too bad because I think I achieved some good baiting. We'd have won if only they'd push when half the team was chasing me.
    Third game, not exactly sure why we lost this one, went too fast. I think I did ok, especially with the Direwolf, but went a point when we began to lose hard where I really felt useless and without any room to manoeuvre.
    Fourth game was weird. The first minute I had the impression the whole team was following my tracks, taking the same large detours as me in a stupid counterclokwise round, instead of fixing the enemy (that would allow me to strike). End was better (but I was lucky to kill that dragon without taking any damage).
    Nothing particular on the last game, but I was happy about how I sneaked out under the platform, against the Warhawk.

My general impressions are I'm heavily dependant on my team's performance (much more than on a Jenner). If they're doing well then I can move like I want, deal damage and finish weak targets. But if they don't put some pressure on the enemy there is nothing I can do.

DaniBot likes this.
  7. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I switched from FRAPs to Action! now thx to your tip. It's a really nice tool and not so performance hungry like FRAPs. In Win 8.1 i have 50-80fps usually (not recording), but with FRAPS activated only ~20fps. This is worse than in Win7. Action! is very good in this respect.
    Well, the Filesize produced is very little compared to FRAPS - recorded video quality is ok but not excellent. That may be the reason for a less fps drop. Setting Options are very limited, you can only chose between low-normal-high. Recording in 60fps makes Sound stutter, 30fps is no problem. Do you have the same issue?

8. SirBurntChicken

SirBurntChicken Well-Known Member

Yep, stick with the 3M. After playing the 1E for the past week I think the cooldown quirks are more important than the heat quirks. This is especially true since spl's are now a good dps weapon and the 3M quirks give it +60% range. It seems like I'm able to get in twice the backstabbin I use to:).

I haven't watched the video... yet, but I'd stick with the spl's unless you find the range is limiting you. And I completely agree that a Locust is dependent on its team. If the enemy holds together and your team refuses to move there's not much you can do but wait for the inevitable.

9. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Sometimes, I haven't been able to track when/why it does it, it's rather sporadic.

10. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

Yesterday we had to fight against one of those incredible pilots. He was using the 5MPlas locust and in the end he got I think 4 kills or so and basically carried the game for the enemy and we lost. He trolled us, harassed us, and finished us off. That was impressive

11. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

PS you might wanna stick to 30fps and 30mbit/s. 60fps is a PITA when you try to watch it on youtube if you have slower connection or a bad PC and don't get me started on the disk space usage.

I use shadow play and I don't ever notice frame rate drops, that piece of software is marvellous

I use Windows Movie maker to edit, and when you export / render your final thing keep the original resolution, bitrate (30k) and FPS as it was in the original video. Upload to youtube, have fun

PPS

In windows go to advanced system settings and set priority to "Background Processes", not "programs"

Trust me on this one

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. SAI Peregrinus

SAI Peregrinus Advanced Member

Instead of changing global process priority, just set your recording software's priority to 10 or 13 instead of 8. (Use Process Explorer). Also, dedicate it a CPU core by setting the affinity for it and your game to separate cores. Lastly, try to use GPU-accelerated recording software (Shadowplay, Raptr, OBS, etc, etc).

13. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I use this software now as well. My 780 Ti doesn't even notice shit is happening in the background and chugs on up the mountain. I use Sony Vegas however and Vegas has an issue turning Shadowplay output in to WMV (At least under Windows 8.1) so now I use MP4 as my output format. I may do a Locust analysis for the "PUG Life" series of videos; depends on what the Benefactors want to have me run in next.

14. DaniBot

DaniBot Junior Member

This; my dear Sir; is exactly what i was ever searching for! Simple plain only to the core of the things cut-down videos with 100% MechPor... action without stupid commentary or Notepad and btw awseome piloting.

PEOPLE OF MECHWARRIOR, DEMAND MORE OF THIS KIND !

Is therer a source for more of this stuff in the interwebz because most videos in the net are:
    1. Attempts to be funny
    2. Clips with ads about unit x y
    3. Made by (sorry) noobs

15. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I can't claim that I'm not occasionally a noob from time to time, but I do tend to put videos out of my better games ;) Though I don't own any Locusts (yet)

Fherot likes this.
  16. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

I just bought Ravens, you should try Locusts.

17. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Maybe some day ;) But I'm about to buy my second TBR, and I also want to master some Stalkers to have an IS assault that I enjoy playing (hopefully). My CBills are tied up for a while.

18. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Fherot is trying to learn the ways of the Super Chicken. He has seen the PUG Life videos in the Benefactors section and has been working on his skillz so that he can attempt to counter me when we face my Raven against his Locust.

19. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You forgot "with the webcam incrustation of the player doing weird faces when sniping and looking stupid with their headset on" (that's something I never understood).

You can try my YT channel: I usually don't post videos as raw as this one, mostly selected games, but I keep myself to few written commentaries (some say it's because my spoken English is broken) so you don't even have to read them (and there are less and less of them in the most recent videos).
    Also, if you haven't already, watch the Locust gameplay Solahma posted on this thread, great piloting, watching him made me better. :thumbsup:

20. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

That is indeed my justification for playing the 3L. Know thy enemy, live in his shoes.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast