Protector “The Heavy of Heavies” (HGR, HPPC, 2ML, STD300)

Thread in 'Protector' started by ShiverMeRivets, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:56 AM.

1. ShiverMeRivets

ShiverMeRivets Active Member

What happens when you take the heaviest heavy-mech and install it with the heaviest ballistic and the heaviest energy weapons?
    Well, it puts a big smile on your face, that’s what happens :)

Orion Protector’s defining features are the left shoulder energy hard point (a good one for an Orion!) and the -20% commulative cooldown reduction for Gauss weapons (incl. the -10% for all ballistics). The -10% heat and -10% energy cooldown are shared with other ON1s.

These quirks shave a full second(!) from the HGR cooldown. With the energy cooldown, both weapon sync very nicely with only 0.25 sec difference to their cycle time (incl. gauss charge up). Heat is not an issue thanks to the -10% quirk (will probably lose the one DHS in favor of something else).

Due to the HGR kick, you have to fire the HPPC while the HGR is charging up, then discharge the HGR. It is 40 damage one-two punch, with significant crit damage to any opened components. The huge “thud-blam!” feels very satisfying. Arm lasers are bonus damage, or anti lights / UAV / anything under 90 meters.

Don’t expect huge damage numbers from these weapons, but you can get plenty of kills and components destroyed even with the low damage numbers. This is called efficiency - and it is so much fun.
    “Thud blam!”

2. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Already tried that shortly after the Civil War update and ended up with this:

A tad bit slower, but more ammo and armor and increased range on the arm lasers.

3. ShiverMeRivets

ShiverMeRivets Active Member

@Aylek
    That works too.

I don’t get to shoot the lasers very often - timing the ppc shot during the charge up duration of the gauss is busy enough, and I want to twist asap after they fired. Sometimes when I get to shoot someone who is not staring back at me I will add the lasers and then ERMLs are great.

The real use of the lasers is when something under runs my HPPC and then I want DPS, or when I am riding the heat scale (rare) and then I want damage/heat efficiency. In both cases regular MLs are better.

If I am to downgrade the engine, the tonnage will go into putting MPLs in the arms instead of MLs. A braver player than me may even put a LPPC for even more insta-damage.