Politics, Opinons, The Universe and Everything

Thread in 'Betty's Playground' started by Michael, Apr 9, 2014.

1. firebeyer

firebeyer Star Lord

THAT JUST HAPPENED........ :phear:

2. TheDevilsIncarnate

TheDevilsIncarnate Advanced Member

Dude what kind of job do you have that you can afford 500 bucks for a gold plated mech in a freakin video game just to make a point!?!?

3. enileph

enileph Star Lord

NGNG staff... casue it would be free most likely.

4. TheDevilsIncarnate

TheDevilsIncarnate Advanced Member

Now that's a perks package I wouldn't mind lol.

5. Bobs Your Uncle

Bobs Your Uncle Active Member

Boy did you ever show us. Good luck and enjoy your purchase!

6. Jacob Ling

Jacob Ling Benefactor

Wow, that is the silliest thing I have seen someone do in a while! Seriously. You just spent $500 (assuming you don't try and get a refund on it) for a piece of digital content that you never technically own. I am sure Russ will enjoy a Seahawks game or two while you sit at home playing the same game you were playing a year ago but now with a Golden Mech. Who knows, that $500 much actually help the current lawsuit against Russ and Bryan in NYC and they owe it all to you!

7. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

The way I see it is entertainment value. I'll use BF3 as an example of a game that I dumped way too much money into and rode it from beginning until end (unless I instal it again...).

I put ~200 into that game (Deluxe+Premium+2nd basic account+individual DLC) (2nd account was for a WilliamTell Crossbow only account 4demlulz...). Regardless of how disappointed I was with that game, I still played it and had a blast with my clan and my friends. I enjoyed BF3 for over 2 years as my primary multiplayer game. Over 2 years of solid entertainment, $100 a year, less than $9 a month. That's skipping a pack of beer or passing on dinning out just once a month. For pure entertainment value per dollar, BF3 was a fantastic investment. It's difficult to find a game nowadays that can give you as much entertainment value per dollar.

For me, MWO fits the same category as BF3 did. I've invested more into MWO then I did in BF3 as well... I don't even want to add up the Founder+Phoenix+MC that i've purchased over the years since closed-beta. It's probably around the price of one of those shiny gold mechs. But the way I see it, ~$500 over the past 2 years has been: $250 a year, $20 bucks a month. I've stopped putting money into the game because there hasn't been something worth spending money on in the past couple months, so that value per $ is only going to get better with every month I continue playing the game. $20 is still passing on a quality restaurant once a month, not going to see a movie in theaters, or skipping the club night.

It's all about experiences. I've enjoyed a lot of my experiences with MWO. As with many other people, I wish we could be a factor in the improvement of the game and make everyone happy. Let's be honest though, we only feel that way because
    A) It's F2P but we gave them money anyway
    B) It's a smaller scale game and company so maybe our voices will have an effect on the game
    C) Those of us from closed-beta get a little touchy about being "founders" and not liking the direction of the game.

Going back to BF3 as an example. There were SO MANY things wrong with that game, but you felt powerless because your opinion didn't matter in the huge scale game that was Battlefield 3. DICE wasn't going to listen to you, EA wasn't going to listen to you, you didn't have a voice. MWO and PGI FEELS different, but why should we expect it to be different than a AAA game. After jumping into BF4 and Titanfall, I'm always EXCITED to get back into MWO because of how much better the game functions. There is so much GOOD in this game that is hard to recognize and remember at times. I'm willing to keep playing it because I enjoy it. I will always have hope that things will improve, because I have nothing to lose. I am OKAY with the game dying in a month, 2-months, 3-months, 1-year, etc because I'm already HAPPY with the entertainment value i've gotten from the game compared to the money I've invested in it.

Remarius, congrats on the purchase and supporting PGI regardless of what happens. Hopefully you'll get your entertainment per $ like I already have. ;)

millipede likes this.
  8. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

There are people spending far more than that on virtual content in games that aren't even released yet *coughstarcitizencough* think of it what you will, but I'm certain everyone has their reason to do so. and as Solahma said. The actual entertainment value per hour of play in the end might be worth it.

9. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

The only gripe I have with a $500 mech is that it didn't ADD anything to your gameplay experience. I could never understand doing that, but hey ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not many people appreciate my WilliamTell crossbow account for BF3 LOL

10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Depends on how long you play in your gold mech and then divide $260 by that ^^ that's how much you get from the golden mech purchase, rest is all just masakari collection.

11. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

But is your enjoyment enhanced by the fact that you are in a gold mech compared to a standard of the same mech? If it is then fine, but I have a hard time thinking it would. I guess you can say that putting another $260 into the game is worth it over time because you helped pay for the work that needed to be done...

12. Jacob Ling

Jacob Ling Benefactor

Therein lies the heart of the problem Solahma.

People HAVE paid the money and the work WASN'T done. At this point it is like throwing good money after bad.

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

To be honest.. in my LOL Account i have every single damn Champion in my Collection. Every single goddamn Champion out of 118, i think very few do this craziness. For every single one i have at least 2 epic skins. Now lets say each Champion costs you 5$ and the skins in average the same, you can imagine how much money i have thrown at Riot Games. If i would ever sell my LOL Account, it would be worth 500$ at least,... at the very least, because there are some limited stuff also in the Collection, which no Player now can ever buy again. And there are people who would die to be owning my Acc.

Compared to that, i think the little Money for some Hero-Mechs every 2 months is nothing. If this game would have much more content, you can count me to the buddies, who would collect every single damn Hero-Mech they release, even if i find them crappy.

Do you think i am silly? Maybe, but from YOUR Point of View. You gotta know, it's MY Money and i better spend the money on something that makes me fun, than wasting them on drugs, sex and alcohol like other ppl do. (Not that i dont like those stuff.. ok not drugs maybe. lol).
    If you earn enough money every day, let's say 1000 Bucks, what are 500$ for a game once, which you like very much? If you are a poor guy, ok, save your money for something more worth for your life. But don't judge people easily, only because they could+would spend more money on things, that you could not afford. Some of my friends are Millionaires in Asia. When we talk about 500$, they talk about 5000$ to spend on every day just for Games and Fun, every goddamn day. So are they silly, or are you? (because you still don`t have your Millions)? I am not a Millionaire, i work every day hard for my Bucks. I wouldnt spend 500$ for a Mech in a PC Game, but i would never say, that 500$ for a Limited Edition Mech is too much for a game that you like very much and you are calling yourself a die-hard Fan.

And honestly, i myself would be very pissed, if other ppl would judge me badly on how i live my hobbies and passion. This is really no showing any respects to other fans.

Just...
    [​IMG]

14. Jacob Ling

Jacob Ling Benefactor

Wow Blagg, you have an LOL Addiciton!!! I thought I was bad with about $100 in on that game. You've spent all that money for another game and yet you are here like all the time and haven't spent a dime helping MechSpecs. What gives? Ad Free VIP up!

As for the rest, ok ok ok, I understand what you are saying. If you are a millionaire and $500 is nothing to you then fine, have at it. Guys like that can wipe their butts with $100 bills and not sweat it but we working men, we blue collar guys, we don't get to do those kind of things so from our perspective investing money in a game that is dead (doesn't know it yet) is considered "silly". I suppose demographics come in to play where this game is moving more towards the "I have money I can burn if I want" people moreso than the "I work hard for my money and want a good return on investment".

15. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

People have said that since November and even before then... Here we are... several months later... still having fun :rolleyes:

16. Jacob Ling

Jacob Ling Benefactor

Sure, the game is great to log on and do 5-10 matches every couple of days but in terms of immersion? What have you seen that is new that is engaging and that makes you think "Damn, I can't WAIT to log on with my Corps buddies and invade deathmatch that planet other random group".

The point I am trying to make here is that there has been very little forward progress for a long time.

UI 2.0 isn't really forward progress. It is where things should have been a long time ago. This also took up far too much time of their development cycles that it really shows how small and less skilled the team is. I say less skilled because they have been able to program things here and there but overall the work is shoddy and patched together (something is always breaking every patch).

Skirmish Game Mode isn't really forward progress since it is Assault without Base Caps. They essentially cloned Assault and removed the Base Cap flags from the game mode. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiny

Balance? So Paul sits there with his XML file and tweaks a couple of numbers, pushes it to their testers, who all jump up and down about how it is the latest greatest thing and then 2 weeks later, TWO WEEKS LATER, it gets pushed to the servers that we play on? Usually it is a HUGE nerf / boost and then they dial it back. Take Lurmageddon for example. ZOMGWTF missile hell!!! I faced Grimm a couple of times in that stupid stalker of his and he cackled at me as he laid a Missile Hose on my head. Balanced? I think not. What competent test squad would EVER let that go onto a live server?

Don't even get me started on Hit Registration. Dude, its a SHOOTER, fix that shit!

So if you take the game for what it is, a team deathmatch Call of Duty with cool mechs and some team play, you can ride the game for a bit but then eventually burn out sets in. A lot of us Goons have moved on to other games because this one simply offers no challenge after the initial poptart/missile meta.

17. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Yeah Jacob, i really should throw my money on Mechspecs instead doing so much sick mechbuilding and chainspam action here. Actually i should be the one asking for money throwing at me, for making all the Builds here for all you good fellas. They were always for you to have more fun with MWO. I did this all because i loved this game and wanted to convince more and more players that this no-beginners-friendly game can actually make much fun, if you try some stupid builds. For some of here, you only think that i do this only for my Ego. I'm really hurt, if you say this. :p

Well, if the dudes here would be more nicer to me, i would throw some money to Michael. Really. Although i have soo much games, where i spend my money, that i always forget to donate here and need a Paypal Account. I really feel ashamed. Forgive me brothers. :blush:

But considering, the Site needs some bucks now for Maintenance, i will give some of my millions to our Bank. Paypal Account will be opened the next days. Just need to put this in my weak memory.

The true reason why i still not in the Benefactor Club since the very beginning... well so many Kuritas and Steiners here, i feel more sympathy for the weak Minority and really feel like an outlander haha.

BTT: Honestly i am angry about PGI too! But i keep it calm, because why should i waste bad energy now after having wasted so much money already until now? I better have fun in my life as long as i live. I play MWO, have my fun, even if it is boring to hell compared to the very beginning when i made first experience with the game. But you know what? I still play the Game, because I meet YOU guys there and it`s for me great fun to have contact with ya, even if the Game is crap. Btw, had great fun with Trounce, Sub & Co. recently. Well played.

Do you know the game Hellgate London? I had a big group of friends there ages ago. That game was really sh*t like Hell, but we played that game every single goddamn day, we had after Uni, only because we had fun. Did we make a war against the Devs, just because they were not able to make the right stuff? No we didnt care. Fukk man, if the Group is no interested in the game, i can leave, stop wasting time and money. Start something else, have a new Group of Mates, Dudes, Fellas, Pals, Buddies whatever, until a new Chapter, Story, Era, Dynasty begins. Ready for the next Sh*t, which is worth the money. We live only once, so make the best out of it. That means, make the most fun out of any crappy Sh*t, what your Group enjoys for the here and now. This is all what we need for life - FUN TOGETHER.

(sorry for the rude language, that`s how i usually speak with my friends, i already turned my mode back to normal.)...

................Fukk man, i have the strong feeling, that i should throw some money for Grinding Gear Games.. and Gaijin Entertainment. Having sick fun with their Games atm. :rofl:

18. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

If I'm enjoying the current immersion of a game, why does it need new things to keep me engaged? Also, future content and changes will keep it interesting enough and "new" to me so...

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]The point I am trying to make here is that there has been very little forward progress for a long time.[/quote]
    true, and it's been a non-stop *facepalm* ride all the way, but the core game remains the same, which I have been enjoying. So again, they have set dates for releases and they have been meeting them. UI 2.0 addressed next.

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]UI 2.0 isn't really forward progress. It is where things should have been a long time ago. This also took up far too much time of their development cycles that it really shows how small and less skilled the team is. I say less skilled because they have been able to program things here and there but overall the work is shoddy and patched together (something is always breaking every patch).[/quote]
    They are steadily improving it, all I can ask for at this point while making progress on other tasks. Believe me, I was hugely disappointed with UI 2.0. However, It didn't effect the game-play so I'm able to still enjoy the game. You're correct though, there are a lot of improvements we can list and say would be easy to implement, but we aren't the developers and don't really know what these improvements would actually take from them (resources, time, difficulty). Calling them easy doesn't mean the really are. Up until recently I never thought that they would be optimizing the UI for a low resolution (lower than 720p), but they are, and it explains a lot...

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]Skirmish Game Mode isn't really forward progress since it is Assault without Base Caps. They essentially cloned Assault and removed the Base Cap flags from the game mode. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiny[/quote]
    Not true IMO. Assault is completely different that Skirmish now that turrets have been added. Turrets have a huge roll in the tactics of an assault game.

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]Balance? So Paul sits there with his XML file and tweaks a couple of numbers, pushes it to their testers, who all jump up and down about how it is the latest greatest thing and then 2 weeks later, TWO WEEKS LATER, it gets pushed to the servers that we play on? Usually it is a HUGE nerf / boost and then they dial it back. Take Lurmageddon for example. ZOMGWTF missile hell!!! I faced Grimm a couple of times in that stupid stalker of his and he cackled at me as he laid a Missile Hose on my head. Balanced? I think not. What competent test squad would EVER let that go onto a live server?[/quote]
    Meh, I honestly wish they didn't tune down the LRM speed until after Launch Module. Even though it was only a 15 m/s decrease, I do not fear incoming missile nearly as much. It's better than before, don't get me wrong, but it's now not very viable again. 165 m/s seems like the logical choice now IMO. Boosting something and then fine-tweaking it is part of any game. They do it in all multiplayer games. This shouldn't be surprising to you.

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]Don't even get me started on Hit Registration. Dude, its a SHOOTER, fix that shit![/quote]
    Have you played Battlefield 4? Have you played TitanFall? The hit registration in those games make MWO look like near perfection. Especially with the complexity of multiple component destruction. Sure there is some issues with PPC registration and shooting at fast moving lights. SRMs are getting some attention and we'll see where that goes. But overall, MWO has excellent registration. TitanFall makes me laugh almost every time I shoot at another player. The only redeeming value of TitanFall's abysmal registration is how fast-paced the game is; you get back in the fight almost instantaneously.

[quote author=Jacob Ling link=topic=6248.msg40904#msg40904 date=1397171478]So if you take the game for what it is, a team deathmatch Call of Duty with cool mechs and some team play, you can ride the game for a bit but then eventually burn out sets in. A lot of us Goons have moved on to other games because this one simply offers no challenge after the initial poptart/missile meta.
    [/quote]
    Call of Duty? :mellow: Is that the default go-to when you want to bash a game? And the poptart meta and missile make this game "no challenge"??? I find it to be MORE of a challenge because I avoid the meta and have to fight against it. The challenge level of MWO is entirely what YOU make it. If you are calling the game easy-mode and using poptart 2ac5+2PPC meta cheese then that is YOUR fault for making it too easy, not PGI's.

Hell, in BF3 we had statistically over-powered weapons and DICE didn't do ANYTHING about it... EVER.... 90% of the time you would be killed by the same 2 weapons. However, that didn't render my weapons useless and other weapons were still superior in certain situations. In general firefights though, those 2 weapons were dominant. Hell, on my WilliamTell account I would play TDM for hours just running around with my crossbow which is statistically a HORRIBLE weapon. 1 shot, extreme re-load time, severe trajectory drop, etc. But I still pulled off 2 KDR, top 5 in kills, and constantly called a hacker for being too good with it...

I did it all to challenge myself and develop skills that I didn't have before.

19. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

The people involved with this product at the two companies IGP and PGI are not gamers.

They are not attempting to provide an enjoyable battletech/mechwarrior game for people to enjoy.

They are unprofessional inexperienced idiots with no clue on what actual game design is.

They consistently miss their own deadlines, fleece their customers mercilessly, and repeatedly ignore or downplay any community-driven attempt to even highlight or fix the issues (which those companies alone have created and bare responsibility for).

In addition, they've shown their contempt for the actual competitive community at large by subsidizing awful players like the NGNG crew and asking for their opinions ad naseum, when in reality most of those guys couldn't pilot their way out of a fucking barn. True schills at work, and you pick the key word there - either schill or work. If I was RPing at the moment, I would say NGNG is the biggest collection of tools I've seen outside of a Solaris arena mech bay.

I have zero respect as a gamer towards anyone associated with IGP, PGI, or NGNG - whether individually or holistically.

If I met one of them walking on the sidewalk, an ambulance would probably be needed. Not because I would assault them, but because I would have passed out from lack of oxygen after laughing in their face for a half hour.

20. firebeyer

firebeyer Star Lord

Well they may be "unprofessional inexperienced idiots with no clue on what actual game design is." as you say, but at least we have a game for you all to bitch about instead of nothing. Also I have hung out and played with 2 of the devs and I can say they do care and are great people to game with. They really just lack the man power to do what we all want.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast