Casual ON1-K "Orion's Belch" (AC10 3xLPL LE300)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'ON1-K' started by ShiverMeRivets, Jul 14, 2018.

1. ShiverMeRivets

ShiverMeRivets Well-Known Member

I was really enthusiastic when I got my Orion K and thoroughly disappointed with its performance with several of builds that I tried. This one however made my Orion come into its own.

The idea is to maximize its pinpoint damage while minimizing face-time, so I can twist that HUGE CT away ASAP, and make use of the -10% heat quirk. 3 LPLs wreak s@&t and since they are arm mounted they point to the target very fast. The AC10 follows with the torso and adds more damage to the point with minimal heat to offset the heat of the LPLs. I wish I could squeeze in another laser in that 4th hardpoint, but this means a smaller engine and more DHSs. I dont think it is worth it.

The build is hot, but with the excellent -10% heat quirk, and all heat management nodes in the skill trees, it is manageable. Take the magazine capacity nodes for the AC10.

Shield with the left side and paint that huge left shoulder with something that attracts attention. Decals work too. You want people to aim there instead of your CT.

I did not bother with distributing armor front/back for the torsos in smurfy - use your own judgement.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Excalibaard likes this.
  2. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I saw the three slots leftover and the low leg armor, and thought this might be a nice adaptation with the same cooling, only 5 rating less, and better armor on your components.
    Don't forget that the left shoulder is still important, if you lose it, you lose a lot of your heat dissipation! Heat quirk is counteracted by the fact that your LPLs fire 10% faster too, so the overall HPS of them is the same!

Overall, I think it's a great build! You could consider changing the AC10 to an LBX10 which is even cooler, and uses 1 slot/1 ton less. With this you can add a TC1 for LPL range or an extra (half) ton of ammo (and maybe some armor too), using the LBX mostly as a crit seeker to wreck any components that are opened up. Also, if you're able to add a little more ammo in the real build, you can use the skill points meant to build towards magazine capacity for something else in operations or coolshot or something.

3. ShiverMeRivets

Interesting adaptation. I went with LFE300 because I had one.

The leg armor is not low at all. The Orion has a huge +16 armor quirk for the legs, plus the skills armor, is just too much - especially when everyone aim for your CT. I dont recall ever losing a leg and not immediately getting destroyed by CT.

AC10 was chosen for picking specific components from a longer range. LB10 will certainly work as well, and allow another DHS with the 300 engine.

4. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

ah yea, smurfy not taking into account leg armor quirks is a bit annoying. I like the pinpoint adaptation, and UAC10 is too heavy and too hot I imagine, so there are not really any other improvements I could think of.

5. ShiverMeRivets

Correct about the UAC10. I actually started with the UAC thinking I need the most powerful ballistics, but it worked poorly. The extra ton and ammo requirement will not allow 3 LPLs, so I tried 2LPL+2ML. It was disappointing. The UAC jammed at the worst moment, it was definitely hotter than the regular AC or LB. Both the MLs and the UAC require longer face time than Just LPLs. The worst part is that you tend to treat your UAC10 as your main weapon.

The build I suggest above changes the way you think - the lasers are your main weapon and the ballistic is the cooler backup. Get the lasers to the point and twist! If you can hit with the AC10 too,that is bonus.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast