My thoughts on the Locust so far

Thread in 'Locust' started by enileph, Oct 16, 2013.

1. enileph

enileph Star Lord

My thoughts on the Locust so far:

In general, I LOVE IT!
    I have tried 2 out of 3 variants, and so far it seems to be nice and nimble. Sure, other lights get faster also, but this one is really sneaky and quick.

LCT-1V
    I did not try this yet. The Ballistics seems to be made for MG only, and if I want single beam I can do it on the 3M. Guess I will test it when I finish on more important mechs.

LCT-3M
    Jenner on SPEED! Fine, it is a bit crunchier, hotter, not jumpy and one less MLas, but this feels great!
    Kinda unimpressed with the dual AMS, But who cares!

LCT-3S
    You KNOW this is build for streaks, and it IS built for streaks. ALL IS GOOD.
    Now, if only we can figure out jamming BAP with the 4x streaks.

2. the draconian

the draconian Junior Member

I haven't gotten to try the Locust at its full potential because I bought a new mech half a week before the phoenix pack came out and don't have money for a XL190 (or a spare lying around) Definitely excited to try the 3M though. It looks well suited to a bunch of SPL for light dueling and circles of death

And since you wanted to squeeze 4 streaks on the 3S, I gave theory-crafting a shot.
    You CAN squeeze 4 SSRM2s, BAP, and an XL190, and even some ammo, but that is it. Barely any remaining weight for the armor (only 1.5 tons)

I think I would have to use a pry bar to re-fit this mech

I'll probably get back to you once I get a XL190 for my Locusts. Till then, I'm glad someone is loving it; it makes me more excited to truly try it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  3. Tsume Eiranis

Tsume Eiranis Well-Known Member

Loving all three Locusts.

LCT-1V
    4 x MG and 1 x MLas. It gets very lovely when you attack open areas, obviously. Similiar to the Spider but still, love it.

LCT-3M
    5 x SLas, either alphaing or chain fire for laser daka. Very nasty in fights with other lights, just aim for the legs instead of the main body and you will find a lot of fun. Also good to soften up the back armour of any bigger mechs.

LCT-3S
    While Streaks might be fun, I went with 4 x SRM2s and 2 tons of ammo and 1 x SLas. Chain fire SRM2s are very evil and it makes for a nice jousting/harassing Mech.

Are they killy? Hell no, definitely not. And like most lights, a wolfpack works in any fashion. But they are a lot of fun :)

4. SabbatH

SabbatH Junior Member

What I found really depressing in that mech is that if someone makes two lucky strikes on you (for ex. 1 x AC 20, or 2 x PPC) you are dead :whacko:

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Dude, if they LOOK at you hard you fall over. An AC20 simply rocks you into last week and 2 PPCs leaves a pink mist where you used to be standing.

6. SabbatH

SabbatH Junior Member

Also RIP to all Locust pilots when they have a shutdown during battle :( :rofl:

7. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

When it comes down to it, a 20 ton 'mech is a coffin with legs.

8. enileph

enileph Star Lord

And I think it is more like a bodybag than a coffin. A coffin may stop a hit or two if you are lucky even.

9. Tsume Eiranis

Tsume Eiranis Well-Known Member

I still adore my Locusts. Would have preferred they were the only ones with the speed cap breaking but all in all, the perfect choice to start my Light collection. I have a Raven 3L and the Sarah's Mech but I have no real experience with Lights and thus find this a very harsh but good teacher :cool:

10. SabbatH

SabbatH Junior Member

I also like this mech :) But I notice also that you must avoid all bigger mechs with streak srm2, because they are deadly ! ;)

11. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I also find it's a very good light school. At least for the "how to pilot safely" part. But it's tough learning, I won't advise a new player to ride one to try how lights mechs are.

12. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

So... it's been a while and all people interested should have had sufficient time to test this mech. How's the final verdict on these?

I already sold the 3S because of the bad hardpoints. Missiles just don't cut it in my eyes when there's that little weight to spend on weapons.

The Phoenix version can't be sold anyway, but nevertheless I barely managed to get my basic skills doubled on this thing until yesterday.

Finally, the 3M seems to be keepable as well because I think double AMS and 4 MLas are pretty interesting for group play. On the other hand one can also just bring a better light mech then. Even a COM will make a huge difference for being that much more sturdier already.

This. The Locusts aren't even true light mechs, they are more like extra lights in that they shouldn't go and try to cap a point in conquest all alone. They are that fragile. Best tactic so far seems to either go with a light pack of 4+ lights or to stay with the heavy and assault mechs and to engage when the big guys start to brawl.

13. epikt

epikt Benefactor

What Aylek said.

I sold the 3S variant. I had some fun mounting LRMs on it, but next time we do a light LRM party I'll just take my Oxide.
    I keep the phoenix variant as a troll mech, with either flamer + machine-guns or AC/2. As for the 3M, the double AMS is (for now) an unique capability for a light mech.
    But overall it's just too fragile, and the lack of jump jets does not make it easier.

14. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

I have had my best luck with the 3M and 3S. The 1V isn't really my thing for a light mech. I have never been a fan of machine guns. On this mech, machine guns just add to the "oh look at that cute little pesky bug. SQUASH" effect IMO. It makes you a lot more annoying and noticeable to the enemy.

I've had my best luck with 4 SPLas, 2 AMS, and the XL190 on the 3M. Also loading both improved airstrike and improved artillery strike. The mech is more stealthy when attacking with the SPLas and doesn't require focused fire to be maintained like the machine guns. I can run around a corner, alpha someone then make a quick judgment to pop smoke before bugging out.

The AMS is very helpful in a good portion of drops. I'm constantly taking down LRMs until my ammo is depleted. Or shooting down SSRMs and keeping myself alive. Need to avoid as much damage as possible in this thing... every SSRM shot down is another step I can take.

15. Giantsaint

Giantsaint New Member

Ive played through all three for the better part of two months:

The 1V I like a lot but I feel like I'm twiddling thumbs till mid or late match when mechs are hurt and damaged...in world of tanks it would be like of driving around in a jeep with a single m60 or equivalent world war II heavy assault weapon...not much damage to a leopard tank unless that tanks got a rip or opening into its cavity..I keep playing it cuz its a blast..while I wont post damage highs for the locust page...still haven't figured out how to maximize the mg damage to accumulate 600 plus damage ..I do tend to come away with 2 or 3 kills a match

The best to play seems to be the 3M. Its as balanced a solo/group locust as you get.. speed, dual AMS, and 5 lasers ports...its lack of armor though a hindrance can be played through with constant moving....best matches I easily hit 500+damage, with multiple kills.. I still prefer a jenner JR7-F over a locust 3M for the use of jump jets plus speed factor...

the 3s...headaches literally...I'm still trying to master this one..I so want to run this with 4 streak srm 2s and a small laser..just cant..logically without removing armor or slowing down with an engine degrade...sadly..Ive survived the most battles with this model..I get legged a lot I just chicken crawl behind a friendly mech most the time

16. Giantsaint

Giantsaint New Member

LAstly I think some of us who have posted a lot to the locust pages can understand or not, the truth that a pilot who regularly gets high totals in kills, damage, and survives at the controls of a locust could qualify as a damn good pilot. That being said the reason for me personally, why I keep playing this extra-light mech is the feeling I get finishing matches at or close to the top for damage and/or kills while piloting this tin-metal chicken...must be the challenge hehe..

PS. I am a noob to such things as pic/image capturing end scores as I have seen posted on these pages. How are you all accomplishing this?

17. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

anytime you hit the Prinscreen button, it saves a screenshot in the USER folder. Just search for it, and it will be under the Screenshots folder.

18. Magnificent Bastard

Magnificent Bastard Dispossessed

The Locust is a joke. I've never had any trouble killing them and I have yet to see one on my team do anything of note. All of my friends have complained about them and/or sold them.

However, my LPLas Phoenix Locust is hilarious. I used to play a TRO-specced Jenner in MW4 Mercs pre-MWO Closed Beta... so I know what piloting a 'mech that can be one-shot is like. As such I've been playing the Locust very conservatively (sticking close to the blob, picking off harasser lights that stray too close, etc). And using my large pulse in situations where the enemy is focused on someone else has been a boon. I'm often ignored entirely... free to take 4 or 5 LPLas shots into the back of big mechs before they realize I've stripped their back armor.

Even with the C-bill boost I'd be tempted to sell the 1V like I did all the others. But the LPLas build makes it a little enjoyable at least.

19. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

meh, I contribute pin-point air strike and artillery strikes, spot and scout, issue tactical advice from good positions, and often deal out 400+ damage.

Not sure how that is not contributing.

Although, there are those matches where you get one-shot from the git go. I can assure you my only contribution at that point was being a cheer leader. :rofl:

20. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

I would sell the 1V if I could, but since I can't I make the best of it, and it can be fun in the right situations.

The 3M is actually a lot of fun and is by far the best of the three. I really wish this was the Phoenix variant, but alas. The biggest problem is that with dual AMS, if you stay near your team, you burn through your ammo incredibly quickly.

I sold my 3S immediately after finishing the Basics, and that was in itself a total slog. I basically hated it so much I only played it until I got my 2X bonus, then ignored it again for a week. I played every variation of missile build and hated all of them, and finished off leveling it up running a single ERLLas.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast