MAD-IIC "The Experiment" (9xcERSL) - SHS vs DHS Variants

Thread in 'MAD-IIC' started by Falconium, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Disclaimer - This is merely an experiment in Math and 'Mech-theory. DO NOT RUN THIS BUILD!

A while back, @Solahma demonstrated with his Wubanshee build that using Standard Heat Sinks on IS 'Mechs can at times provide a significant benefit over DHS in terms of heat efficiency, albeit at a loss of speed, armor, and/or survivability as a result of switching from a STD Engine to an XL.

I recently acquired a Marauder-IIC, and it occurred to me that perhaps the same bizarre result could be produced with this variant, which obviously has a heavy Energy focus, as well as a high engine capacity. So I decided to give it a try, and these are my results.

SHS:

DHS:

I assumed going in that, for Clan Tech, this experiment would be less successful than with IS Tech, due to the lower Slot requirement for Clan DHS. As it turns out, the difference in heat efficiency between these two builds, with Skill Masteries included, is at face-value a mere 6%. However, that 6% amounts to the difference between 0:45 to overheat, and 1:08 to overheat. And 23 seconds is quite a considerable difference when we consider that these are cERSLasers, with a cooldown of 2.25 seconds. That means, with the SHS version, you can essentially Alpha 10 more times before overheating than with the DHS version (assuming 2 weapon-groups, such that Heat Penalties don't apply).

Anyway, I wanted to set up these builds and compare them, if only for the sake of seeing how this experiment would go. But I figured I may as well share the results. I hope whoever reads this has enjoyed. ;) :thumbsup:

NOTE:
    I used ERSLs for this comparison because, for the SHS version, you obviously need as much weight as you possibly can to fit all the heat sinks, and the engine is already a mere XL320.

It's worth noting as an aside that, for the DHS variant, even fitting it with Endo-Steel Structure is pointless without loading heavier weapons, as the engine is already at its highest capacity.

Joe Bopper and Solahma like this.
  2. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Yeah, it's almost never worth considering SHS for clan mechs considering their DHS only take up 2 slots. You've demonstrated it CAN be done, but that speed difference is a bit silly.

I'll have to give it a go.... FOR SCIENCE!

Falconium and Joe Bopper like this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast