JR7-K Space Jammer (1x ER PPC, 1x NARC, 1x TAG, XL300)

Thread in 'JR7-K' started by DeeHawk, Jun 24, 2014.

1. DeeHawk

DeeHawk New Member

The idea behind this build is versatile scouting and supporting your heavier friends effectively.

------------------Loadout------------------
    The ER PPC may seem out of place, but it is REALLY easy to use safely with the agility and speed of the Jenner. It's not very hot either. The main point isn't the pin point damage though, it's the psychological harrasment of getting sniped, coupled with the ability to disable ECM.

TAG counters ECM up to 750m, but often puts you in a dangerous spot.

NARC for those nosey skirmishers/flankers and other situations where you get close to the enemy. ECM Spider behind your team? NARC him and hit him with your PPC every 4 sec, and he is constantly lit up.

------------------Modules------------------
    Without BAP, you'll need [Adv. Sensor Range] as one of your 4 modules. (3 until mastered)
    [Adv. Zoom Module] for scouting and precision shooting.
    [Radar Deprivation] is pretty much a must nowadays, specifically when not carrying AMS

-------------------Notes-------------------
    You don't need Jump Jets for this build. It's not a poptart, and it's not a Close Quarter Fighter.
    You mostly stay 500-800m from the enemy, behind your brawler group or back and forth alongside the flanks, distracting their firepower and messing with their positioning.

With only 12 ammo you have got to be a little conservative with your NARC. But you only have 12 enemies, so basically it's all you need. :p

While this little bugger only packs a single weapon, I've topped @ 700+ dmg and 4 kills in a match, tho 250-300dmg is more common. You'll get plenty rewards from TAG/NARC, Spotting Assists and Killing Assists.

Tactical Advice: Scout from heights, and wait for the first friendly missile barrage to hit your target, before you hit him with your PPC. Resist the itch!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You always need Jump-Jets! If only for basic mobility!

Lose 2kph and don't be trapped in a canyon.

3. DeeHawk

DeeHawk New Member

Thanks for your input epikt.

I really don't agree, but if you have a tendency to get stuck in canyons, then by all means.. :)
    The thing is: You don't NEED them. It's comfort.

I feel like the Jets are a double edged sword for lights. Many dangerous situations ensues if you use it at the wrong time: You legs flies directly into the crosshair of your enemies, and you can't change course the while, which makes you a very easy target. Playing without jets also gives you a better feel of the map and the climbability of your 'Mech.

TL;DR
    Using jets on this mech might get you killed more often than if you lacked them.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Indeed.
    I admit I tend to overuse the jets when piloting light mechs and sometimes it cost me my life (in front of a patient sniper for example :blush: ). But I think it saved it more often, allowing me to escape desperate situations by jumping over a ramp (in Canyon of course, but also on Forest Colony and other maps). Also, on uneven terrain it allows you some daring moves you wouldn't make without jets (because they provide you an emergency exit). And I can't count how many times I was on a Commando/Raven/Oxide/etc and wish I had jumpjets to get me out of this death trap! It's more that just comfort!

That's why I always mount at least one Jet if the chassis allows it.
    Now I just need to learn not to use it when I should not, but it's not a reason to remove it from my mech.

5. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

You can put both in the same arm and have more armor overall on your mech (or get .5 tons extra if you leave it as is and just reduce the empty arm to nothing). Especially full armor legs is pretty important on a light in my experience.

Also, I think having 1 JJ is absolutely a better choice.
    You don't use it for poptarting, you have too few for that. However, in the occasion that you do need one, even if it is to get over an annoying jag in the terrain, or out of a canyon, what is the harm in sacrificing 1,5% of your top speed? 2kph is barely noticeable, but the difference between 0 and 1 JJ is infinite. Just be mindful of the drawbacks of sustained usage in a brawl (like flying too high, not being able to move), or simply use it for terrain movement and leave them out during the brawl.
    Being able to get out of the water in crimson strait, out of the canyon on network, take shortcuts on manifold, get near the comms tower faster in alpine/forest colony, darting from unexpected angles in frozen city, there is no reason not to take at least 1 jumpjet if there is a possibility.

6. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I'm not feeling the XL295, but I do like the idea of putting both energy weapons into the same arm.

7. DeeHawk

DeeHawk New Member

I do have to agree on all of your points. And I really don't mind losing the 2kph at all. I just don't ever feel like I need the jet (in the play of this mech!) and don't want to invest in an XL295 to try it :) I guess it comes down to personal preference and jump jet skills. (Which I obviously lack).
    I still very much like playing with that "glued to the ground"-feeling, and taking the long way around stuff to stay out of sight. But I've also played it a lot.

I do like SubjectSeven's idea of isolating the weapons. I've encountered this possibility on a few builds, for which I had the same concern:
    The fragile and well hidden side torso will very quickly be exposed in the empty side. Isn't that a major drawback?

I think I'll compromise, and maybe do the energy isolation trick for a JJ. See how it goes.

Real happy about all of your feedback. ^_^

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I don't recall playing an asymmetrically armored Jenner, but I don't think it should be that of a problem. Of course your arm will quickly fall of if you're hit by missiles. The problem I see is you may appear as a "wounded target" and considered as primary or just take some extra shots by all those would want to cut that arm off.
    I suggest you experiment and tweak the armor value by trial and error - at first only 1 armor point looks low to me (but raising it means removing armor on critical components)

It won't be lost money if you plan to buy Firestarters (they can't mount a 300). It's also an engine you'll use on Raven-3L and Blackjack-1X. But I understand you may not want to spend millions on a small engine tweak.
    You can try with an XL280 if you have one, it will free you another ton (1/2t of ammo and 1/2t of armor maybe). I use it on two of my Jenners, the speed is ok as long as you have speed tweak unlocked.

9. DeeHawk

DeeHawk New Member

[quote author=epikt]The problem I see is you may appear as a "wounded target" and considered as primary or just take some extra shots by all those would want to cut that arm off.[/quote]
    Yes, this was a major part of my concern. Not that I will die easy, but that my opponent knows I'll die easy. (+ they see me sporting a PPC)

[quote author=epikt]It won't be lost money if you plan to buy Firestarters (they can't mount a 300). It's also an engine you'll use on Raven-3L and Blackjack-1X. But I understand you may not want to spend millions on a small engine tweak.
    You can try with an XL280 if you have one, it will free you another ton (1/2t of ammo and 1/2t of armor maybe). I use it on two of my Jenners, the speed is ok as long as you have speed tweak unlocked.[/quote]
    The Raven will probably be the next light I buy and master, so I'll return to this build as soon as I get an opportunity for either XL295 or XL280. I really liked the idea of 280, since the current build seems to compromise too much between armor, ammo and JJ's.

For now I will try the empty arm and XL300, and test just how much arm armor it takes to not get focused after 1 missile barrage. :rofl:

10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

XL295 is a great engine, as long as you don't need the 2 heatsink slots of the XL300. .5 tons for a negligible loss in speed. Quite similar to how a STD270 is sometimes better than a STD275. I originally got it for a dual SRM4 JR7-D and it hasn't let me down since.
    And as epikt mentioned, it's the max for firestarters and the RVN-3L (other ravens have a max of XL275 but that engine is suboptimal and those RVN variants are suboptimal as well). It can also be used on several mediums and heavies.

XL280 is another nice and versatile engine, but I don't like it anymore on jenners. You get 1 ton extra for a 10 kph difference, but opposing (and assuming max speed) 35-tonners will catch up to you 5 times faster than if you had only a 2 kph difference, and this is not a brawling mech.

11. DeeHawk

DeeHawk New Member

[quote author=SubjectSeven].. will catch up to you 5 times faster than if you had only a 2 kph difference...[/quote]

This one cracked me up :rofl:
    Thanks for the engine clarification and comparison, I didn't check it out myself yet. I understand why you wouldn't pick the XL280, but I really feel I could use that extra ton, and it's the only place to get it, while maintaining weaponry. I definately would miss the last 10kph on my JR7-F, but this loadout is not for "Hit & Run" tactics , so I would still consider XL280 viable.

Big chance I'll go for the XL295 tho, since I've been looking with hungry eyes at the 3L recently.
    I just need to buy the Radar Deprivation, Info Gathering and an Assault model (3x variants) first...
    And I just spend a fortune on love for the Jester (XL355). At least it's fun to grind :phear:

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast