JR7-F Buzzsaw Variant (6x MPLas, XL280)

Thread in 'JR7-F' started by Cthulu Jr., Jun 8, 2013.

1. Cthulu Jr.

Cthulu Jr. Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. isidor3

isidor3 New Member

Edit: I didn't know there was another build so similar to mine, my build focuses more on damage than armor, and I think the extra heatsinks allow you to be more effective, overall, than the extra armor does. Without them, actually firing becomes a rare occurrence.

My original topic below:

I've been running a variant of this with the XL300 and even less armor, so strategies and such may differ when you have twice as much armor. I've been frequently getting 400+ damage per match in my modified build, and I expect even more is likely with the additional armor the XL275 allows.

This build is essentially a glass cannon, and best used when your target is targeting someone else! The 36pt alpha strike can headshot any mech, provided you can keep the lasers trained on the cockpit for the duration of the shot, but the low armor means you can't just run out in front of lance and expect to survive. I've played it as a sort of support mech, sticking near the big guys and dealing damage to weak points when I can. Hiding behind terrain on open maps allows you to pop out, fire, and retreat before most other mechs bother to shoot at you, so long as they're already distracted. On more congested maps, you can move around a bit more, but always be sure to keep close to other, more distracting mechs. If anyone starts specifically targeting you, your best bet is to run back to your heavier friends.

You can also do a decent job of hunting down other light mechs, provided they're alone. If you put all six MPLas in cycle fire, you can keep the pain on them for a pretty good amount of time, and you cool off fast enough to fire one laser every few seconds if you need to keep firing for an extended amount of time.

My grouping is
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]All lasers in cycle fire
    [*]All lasers burst
    [/list]
    Although you could separate them into left/right sides if you prefer. Though I like to keep the alpha strike easily accessible for when I know I don't have much time to do my damage and leave.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Merged these two topics since they are the same build with a minor engine tweak.

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

And I thought 4xMPL were too hot...

5. Shaftronics

Shaftronics Active Member

Too much trouble for too little benefit.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast