JM6-S "Burn and Turn" (4x LLas, 4x MG, XL300)

Thread in 'JM6-S' started by Lan, May 14, 2013.

1. aGeNTo

aGeNTo Junior Member

The only problems i have with this excellent setup are double gauss / ac 20 setups, you just cant concentrate your laser long enough on one part of them and not get your torso slammed in

2. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Which is a reason to to for a STD engine on this build. Everyone aims at the Jager's side torsos because they're so easy to hit. Best to be able to survive that noise.

3. Reubot

Reubot New Member

Fun build! Here's my variation:

600ish damage per round and a kill or two is very common. Not very effective at range, and there's an annoying bug where firing the machine guns prevents rapid laser chain fire so you gotta work around that, but other than that playing this build is very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  4. fyrebryan

fyrebryan New Member

As an IS pilot, I'm looking for ways to be successful going up against clan mechs. One way is LRM indirect fire...and LOTS of it... Clans cant use their superior firepower if they cant see you. Next way that i've found is to strip arms and torso's off very quickly to reduce that firepower. Once armor's gone, MGs do a GREAT job at stripping components, and jags have lots of slots for MGs.

Now I know the DD has 2 more MGs than the S, however the S can mount more LL, and thus have more firepower to strip that armor quickly... and at greater range..

Now I had been under the illusion that you shouldn't run anything but an XL in a Jag, but I think after running this a few times that I might be wrong.. Even if you loose 1/2 your firepower, you've still got some, and thats better than being dead..

can have your LL setup to fire 2 in each torso, and a 3rd for MGs, or even simpler to have 2 groups, all 4 LL in chain fire, then your MGs all fire.

use the range of the LL to strip armor as much as you can, and stick with the assaults and support them...you want to be ignored.. if you can get the opposing team to focus on your assaults, then you'll strip those mechs extremely fast. Again, you should be focused on torsos, legs and arms, especially on clan mechs.

5. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Hey there :)

I don't really like turning jagers into laserboats, due to the very low energy hardpoints and the wasted high ballistic hardpoints. However, if you do decide to run it, using a STD260 probably makes you a bit too sluggish. You're going to be brawling, it is what you get yourself into with low hardpoints and a build with machineguns. For brawling you want to be able to twist your torso really fast after firing to spread the damage.
    The XL300, though your side torsos are huge and thus XL could theoretically blow soon, should give you enough turn and movementspeed to avoid damage better. Since this build is also possible with a Standard engine people should be trying to hit your CT or legs for certainty.
    Burntime and range of the ISLL are suboptimal, especially since clanweapons. I'd suggest running 2x LPL, 2x MPL with a STD280 instead, for shorter burntime. The shorter burntime helps especially since you can turn your torso away quicker, and the damage is more centered.

6. RAMJB

RAMJB Active Member

I disagree with the assessment about IS LLasers. After the heat/range nerf of the clan lasers and the increase of burn time for the IS ERLL, the IS LL is in a pretty competitive spot for a laser weapon. If you unlock the range module, it's 500m of standard range. And even without it 450m is far from inadequate, as most fights happen around those ranges anyway.

The LLas a pretty good hard hitter, and it's got a decent damage/heat efficiency. One month ago the IS LLas was really in a bad spot when compared with other lasers, both IS and clan, but after the weapon changes right now is very competitive. I know I've found myself using it in a lot more builds myself, at least, when one month ago I rarely used them (the ERLL was almost always a more solid choice unless in quite hot builds)

I agree however that the engine is too small. I'm far from thinking a STD260 is not good enough for a Jagermech (My firebrand runs with one), and the survability really counts for a mech with such vulnerable STs as the Jagers'. But in a build with four MGs you need a bit of extra speed to cut the range when you need to. In my particular case I cut off on MG ammo (one ton should be enough if you know to hold the MG trigger until a component is open) and heatsinks to run a STD275 instead. You lose a bit of cooling efficiency and MG ammo, but the speed/maneouverability/torso twisting increase is well worth it in the end.

7. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Well, you're replying to a comment that I made before those changes were even implemented, range module statistics were revealed or IS LL was found as an alternative solution. That said, I meant that the range is often too long to make use of, because of the low hardpoints. And if you could use the range on really open maps, the ERLL would (before patch) often be superior.

8. BAHS

BAHS New Member

I agree with the low laser points being a serious problem in terms of firing from a distance and staying in at least partial cover. Also agreed that the 260 is sluggish. In light of the new trend towards "full out rush the enemy"; I suggest something like what is posted below. It is heat efficient, fast and with the low laser points it is only really effective when brawling similar to the DD with LPL and 6 MG. MPL cool down is a must have as well. There isn't enough MG ammo to run them when they are hardly doing damage, so as stated before close in and keep firing.

9. Auriga

Auriga MechSpecs Addict

How many times do u engage under 200meters?

10. BAHS

BAHS New Member

In organized games 10+ man teams I have experienced a lot of complete brawls initiated by the other team and it has proven to be a successful tactic. In these cases the fight occurs at sub 200 meters almost every time.

In this case and only this case I am suggesting the mech I posted. Clan weapons out range IS weapons so planning to be superior at fighting at range will most likely prove difficult at best. Clans mechs will typically have a higher alpha, a higher sustained DPS, and a faster mech that is as safe as piloting an IS mech with a standard engine. 1v1 you lose if you are in similar weight classes.

Low energy hard points are more difficult to use effectively. Can it be done, certainly, but at range you are exposing a lot of torso for every dual gauss boat out there, and every PPC boat out there. A standard 260 is a bit slow popping out of cover and back into cover because of the amount of torso that has to be exposed to fire. This will likely result in more of those slow PPC shots hitting even with a torso twist the damage can only be spread so much. That being said if the enemy team ignores you at all you will probably put up significant damage given your load out. I would not change your load out if you are putting up consistent good damage numbers. I was just offering a suggestion on use of a close in jäger build I have found gives mad cats problems at short range. A fast firing 4MPL at short range quickly puts out some damage and the MG keep the crit risk on.

11. Auriga

Auriga MechSpecs Addict

I dont own any Jagg, and im also a big fan of multiple MGs. Looking at ur points, my build was there trying to solve them, and the question was sincere. If u engage often under 200m, i would honestly switch 2x LLas for some ballistic that shake the enemy cockpit.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast