Jagermech impressions

Thread in 'Jagermech' started by UntamedZer0, Mar 20, 2013.

1. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

I haven't picked up any of the Jagers yet. Am curious what peoples impressions are of them so far?

The thing that immediately turned me off to them in the mechlab was the low armor. I understand this is meant to be more of a medium to long range fire support mech but a heavy carrying less armor than a medium mech makes me a little leery.

I have seen some good builds here already addressing these issues, so what is everyone opinion?

2. Burnburger

Burnburger Junior Member

This makes a great peek-n-shoot type of mech. But in competitive play and high ELO matches, that is asking for a head shot, and with the angle change to LRMs, peek-a-boo is not that effective anymore. Also, in competitive play and high ELO pugs, your arms will be gone in no time as the accuracy, skill, and patience of the players are much better.

It is better to let the battle engage to lessen to focus fire, then take your shots of opportunity.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Agreed! This mech is a support unit only and shouldn't be utilized in the vanguard if at all possible; you are just asking to be neutered or destroyed outright otherwise.

4. Thibideau Osis

Thibideau Osis Star Lord

Hola,

I did not purchase this Mech yet, wanted to see the impressions. Although everyone seemed to have alot of fun with this lastnight, I am not sure if we will see it in tourney play because of the low Armour / Speed. It was fun killing them though, when they ran out of ammo.

But we shall see...

5. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

IT is however tempting to toss 2 ac20s and an XL315 in one and go see how much pain you can cause ....faster....with arm ptich to shoot up and down hills though!

6. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I doubt there would be much armor on that kind of build, Tuku. Definately needs smaller engine.

I bought all three when the patch completed, I am starting to think that it was nearly as wastefull as buying the Death's Knell. I am going to wait to condemn the 'Mech until after the LRM fix though. I think every time I went down today it was to one or two volleys of LRM fire. F&%@$N ridiculous trying to avoid all of that LRM spam.

Myth.

7. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

I never said it would have much more than stock armor. :D

Not much more than stock indeed but 2 ac20s, plenty of ammo, speed comparable to a hunchie (a bit slower) and you end up with a very mobile AC20 Platform that could contend with a AC20 K2 any day and in some ways out perform it.

To compare the AC20 cat I run

Identical armor with 20 kph less speed. Maybe a bit less ammo but that cat cant point its ac20s down or up a hill on alpine or desert

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  8. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I've never used the Gaussapult or the AC/20-apult, it didn't feel right to me somehow. The K2 was always intended as an energy platform and because it is my favourite 'mech from the tabletop I've always been somewhat of a purist where it is concerned.
    The Jagermech on the otherhand just might be my first shot at the dreaded 2x AC/20 Platform. You've convinced me to give it a shot at the very least. This is going to be a busy week trying out these different builds.

I'll get back to you with the one I like the best.

Myth.

9. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I could see some of the Jagers being upgraded to dual AMS. That would increase their utility as a long-range support 'mech.

10. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

After a couple of days encountering them now and watching people struggle to make them competitive, I can now say that I am at least happy I did not buy any of them. Is sad but thats just the nature of the beast. Too light with too many hard points for weapons that only come in heavy (anything AC) or near useless (MGs).

Seems impossible to get the total package out of one.

11. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I can understand complaining about low armor when looking at a custom build that only runs 272/422, but the Jagermech should have the same potential armor as the Catapult. Don't look at what's on it when you buy it, look at what will be on it when you purchase it. (This is why I hate the pros/cons lists that list stock loadout...because honestly, how many people play stock loadout?)

I think the Jaeger is giving a lot of ballistic options that weren't available before, even on an Atlas. Nothing else has the Ballistic potential of this mech. Granted, it would be better on an Assault, IMO, because of how heavy ballistics are...but it's still a great option for ballistic lovers. I'll probably do Jaegers before either of the cats.

12. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

When it comes down to it, the extra 10 tons in the Cataphract go a long way to making more viable ballistic builds. Especially when you consider that they only weapon that the Jager can mount in its arms that the 'fract can't is the AC20.

13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Very good point, Archwright. However, the Jager's arms are much higher, which can make fighting over ridges/hills a lot easier.

14. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I first tried a dual gauss build, but the sniper thing is not for me.
    Then I switched for a dual AC/20 and XL engine. I don't know (and I don't care) if it's "competitive" or not, but it does the job and is really fun to play. Last night I hit 2 head-shots back-to-back, two enemies down in 5 seconds, damn it felt good!
    I also love the position of the guns, no more bullet hitting the ground like on cataphract/dragon/atlas/...
    Imho, it's superior to the K2 for a balistic setup (and it's good, K2 is meant to be energy based anyway).
    But Archwright is right, for some heavy loadouts the Cataphract (5t heavier, not 10) will be better, despite it's poor gun position - I'll keep my 4*AC/5 on a phract for example.

I haven't tried it yet, but the 4*SRM6+something build might be fun too.

On the opposite, as a light pilot (and other class too) I killed a lot of Jags. Don't know if it's because people kept the default armor or if it has hitbox weakness, but it feels fragile for a heavy. The large side torsos + XL won't help, for sure.

15. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

I know what you mean, epik. I have a Gauss on my Fang, but decided to put an AC/20 on my Flame. Had to sacrifice what makes it a Dragon (heavy mech with speed) to fit it on there, but its currently my favorite Dragon build.

16. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Agreed. I smoke Jagers left right and center if I get them one on one. They seem to be glass cannons for the most part.

17. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

If they have an XL engine, you only need smoke them left, right, or center!

Don't worry, I'm keeping my day job...

18. Aedon Blaire

Aedon Blaire Active Member

I tried this mech pretty early - the Alpha, as I like its balance of missile, ballistic, and energy hardpoints. My initial thought was that such an even spread could provide for a myriad of different loadouts.

What I've discovered is that these mechs makes decent snipers, due to their ballistic-heavy leanings, but my goodness, I never want to have one in a brawl. They feel alike a walking billboard, in that someone is -always- able to get to cherry pick what torso they want to core, and I found it near impossible to use arms/side torso to damage buffer incoming fire.

I've seen them used effectively at range, but I always get giddy for the free kill when one is up close.

19. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Are you kidding me? If I am rolling in my JR7-D(F) and I see one of these start getting engaged by the bigger guys on my team I will roll across the map to get a crack at it. I love popping them cause most people armor the legs or back armor very lightly.

POP!

20. Aedon Blaire

Aedon Blaire Active Member

This sounds like a disagreement, but I think we're saying the same thing! I see 'em as free kills. XD
    They -looked- good to me at first, but then didn't pan out. Too easy to take out.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast