Is there any reason to keep anything but the 3M?

Thread in 'Cicada' started by Bashiba, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Bashiba

Bashiba Well-Known Member

So I just started leveling Cicada's. The 3M is a blast being able to sneak around and core people from the rear or helping hide your lance, and makes a great sneaky sniper. The other models though seem pretty alwful. The 2A and 2B just seems like a bigger, slower, no jumpy version of my Jenner F. And the the 3C seems extra awful, once again its like a bad version of the Spider 5K. The extra armor doesn't seem to make up for the fact that its a smidge slower and a bigger target. I feel I will be dumping both the very second they are Elited.

Am I missing something, does anyone play anything but the 3m once they are mastered?

2. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

Talk to Garth, he is the Cicada Lover....

3. enileph

enileph Star Lord

3M, the rest are oversized locust.

4. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

Most of the Cicada's I have are snipers. They just don't do well in a brawl.

5. Bashiba

I agree, nice snipers which means the ecm version is much superior to other versions.

So you are all reinforcing my belief that the others are awful. Mine are especially bad because I refuse to spend the money for Double Heats, Endo and FF for something that will be sold as soon as its mastered. Which means some bad mech driving for a bit.

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

it's DHS or go home. your choice I suppose.

7. Bashiba

I would normally agree, but it seems like such a waste if there is no possibility of keeping either. I figure I will just play them when they have double XP and suffer my way through it. I found that at least with the 2A I can run 4 mediums chain fired with a couple small lasers with single heat sinks and it doesn't run to hot. I can just play it like a bad jenner f and put up respectable numbers, 200-300 damage most games, not great but I can live with that.

8. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

I ran my other Cadas with 1x LLas + 4x MLas. Simply aim at Weakpoints and then Alphastrike, and get the hell out of there. The only problem is, that they don't have JJs. Else it would make the Cada a good Mech.

9. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I will say that I have had some fair success with a CDA outfitted with an XL330 and 4 MLas; especially with the speed boost unlocked, that little guy can tear up a battlefield on the right map, even without JJs. My 3M alternates between sniping (and a smaller engine) and a similar MLas build, since it can really do well with either thanks to that ECM. Also, using a Mlas build, I've had great success zipping past, getting a shot off, and leaving a UAV behind to convince the people behind me that maybe they don't want to focus on me after all. ;)

That said, I keep the X5 around for CB farming when I need it...it does almost as well as a sniper, even without the ECM, and keeps me well supplied in the long run.

10. enileph

enileph Star Lord

I am keeping the 3M and X5. X5 plays like a fatter Jenner w/o JJ though.
    For those who want 4xMLas and a big engine, that is exactly the same firepower of a jenner at best, at worst a slower meaty TDK.
    I would say AC2/AC5 with a ERPPC, or 2x PPC with the rest of them. That way you make use of the reasonable speed, and the extra tonnage from the lights. IOW, yeah, mostly as a sniper.

11. Michael

I have both the 3M and the X5... why would you EVER sell a hero mech you paid money for? and the 3M is the only one with ECM so might as well keep it too.

12. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

I quite like the CDA-2A. It's like the cool speedy offspring of a HBK-4P and a JR7-F. I picked it up because it's occasionally called for in 12man league drops, and it grew on me. I wrote a review on the standard 6x MLas build (http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=341.msg36480#msg36480), and it remains one of the mechs I'd likely go to for a Daily Double XP win if I feel like farming GXP, perhaps moreso than the 3M (carrion bird = snore to me). Archived stats are at above 5 KDR and 500 damage per round over 88 matches, with a large (perhaps majority) portion being solo drops.

13. Michael

I don't think I've ever seen you do less than 500 TFun, no matter what mech you are in :p

14. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

Dang I took a shower after that post and forgot to edit in a turn of phrase that came to me: I pilot that 2A like a mule with a history of being rented out for beatings.