Ilya Muromets "Mixup" (3x AC5, 1x ERLLas, 2x MLas, AMS, XL280)

Thread in 'Ilya Muromets' started by schnaetz, Oct 13, 2013.

1. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

I basically mixed up the classic 3x AC5 + 3x ML "Unnamed" build, which I wanted to have a bit more longe range fire power with the other popular 3x AC5 + 2LLas "The Ranger", that felt a bit too slow.

I'll make some screenshots next week, if I find some time

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Matheos

Matheos Active Member

After messing around with the arm laser hardpoint and realizing it's mounted pretty high with respect to the cockpit, I ended up making a build almost identical to this one. Runs much cooler than the dual LL + triple AC/5 "Ranger" and an intermediate build I was using with an AC/2 in place of one of the AC/5s. On both of those, I didn't use a laser in the arm in order to keep the engine size at stock. In retrospect, that was a mistake.

All the power of the non-jamming chainsaw with a fully actuated arm mounted large laser? Full stars.

3. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

Thanks! I'm playing Phoenix mechs these days and did not manage to drop with my Ilya....but my inner need for some dakka will change that soon :D

4. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

A lot of people don't like asymmetric builds or even an unusual allocation of hardpoints. I don't know why...

Let's see...
    - shoulder-mounted AC5 & PPC for sniping from behind cover (PPC & AC5 could both be mounted in the right shoulder as well)
    - triple AC5 and PPC for great DPS midrange
    - amazing cooling efficiency when just firing AC5s and PPC (53% including elite perks / doubled basic skills)
    - arm-mounted ML for added infight capabilities
    - lots of ammunition
    - Ilya's stock engine

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. Matheos

Matheos Active Member

I did a video on an Alpine map for this build. It's essentially the same as the highly rated "Unnamed" (http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=396.0) but with the engine dropped back to stock to fit in the ERLL. As I say in the video, it's hard to go wrong with any AC/5 chainsaw build and this one has the loadout to perform well at all ranges.

The only thing I would probably change on the setup I filmed would be dropping a HS for an extra 30 shots of ammo. Luckily, the damage output from the dual MLas and LLas is pretty good on its own.

6. Matheos

Matheos Active Member

For me, symmetry makes it easier to manage weapon groups during a fight. Depends on the player. Also, at least for me, if there's only one arm energy hardpoint in a mech, it pretty much screams for a large laser so you can apply adequate damage while tracking an enemy.

I think the PPC + AC/5 torso combo is best used on the 3D since you can jump up and group fire the autocannon with the PPC and you get dual medium lasers in the arms at the same time. For the Muromets chassis, going the route of the Ranger (http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=3282.0) or something similar to the video below is a better call if the hero mech bonus isn't a consideration.

7. schnaetz

schnaetz Benefactor

After seeing your video and testing a bit, I also mounted the ERLL into the arm. It helps tracking a target for your ac5 and Hunting lights, which is better than shooting over ridges with only one ERLL. Changed that in the original build.
    When going for a PPC (I'm currently testing 3xAC5+ERPPC) the shoulder hardpoint is the better choice, I think.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast