Huginn "Finisher" (2x SRM2+A, 4x MG, 2x JJ, XL295)

Thread in 'Huginn' started by Tyrogandio, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Tyrogandio

Tyrogandio New Member

I'm not a Hero mech buyer, but I do pilot a lot of light mechs. I've mastered 3 sets of lights. Easy to buy, hard to level :(
    I have been wishing for a ballistic/missile combo light mech for a long time. I like ammo mechs becouse I rarelly run out of ammo (except maybe in my LCT-3S) and I usully run hot in most energy equiped lights (trigger happy).
    I've seen a few builds posted here with SRM/MG combos. Like I said, I played a few sets of lights and have found that both SSRMs and SRMs both miss the focussed fire needed to take out components, and MGs only work well with open armor.
    It's with that in mind that I sujest the following build:

Oh boy do I feel this falls just short of the mark, but it's what you can get out of a light mech tonnage. I found it a dillema to ballance out my "wants" and I sacrificed the AMS and the larger missile tubes for the Artemis focus fire. This allowed me to no longer "need" the BAP, though IMO, with the amount of ECMs running around this was also a "want" that I decided to drop. I ranked speed, ammo cappacity and focus fire as my top priorities here.
    I will never try this build out - since I only spend MCs on mechbays - but I hope someone tries this one out and see how it runs.
    And remember, if aiming in this game is what people consider skill *cough* *poptarters and snipers* *cough* then doing it at 150+ kph and between your enemies legs with a paper armor should be considered like unto a Deity of MWO skill :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  2. Tyrogandio

Tyrogandio New Member

Due to popular demand (mainly from myself) I sujest the following alternative:

Raven arms are not that small (not like a Locusts') and you'll loose at least one of them per match, but at least you'll counter those pesky ECMs and provide optimal targets for your LRMers, or simply swap the BAP for the AMS+1T and provide aditional missile coverage.
    But no, gimpy arms and all that loose, unprotected, ammo would not be my first choice in this build.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  3. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

SRM2 gets minimal benefit from artemis, why not simply run 2xSRM4 (without artemis)?

CASE also has no effect when you run an XL engine. It prevent explosion damage from reaching further components when the part it's equipped in is destroyed. However, when your side torso explodes you're dead anyway because of the XL engine.

You ought to reconsider your armor and ammo allocation as well. Ammo is best stored in the head or arms, and for ravens probably the center torso (CT is hit less often than side torso and legs in my experience). Armor in the head against a 1 in a million headshot is not as important as protecting a major part of your DPS, so it's unwise to reduce armor on arms to only 8. instead, take some away from the head (6 armor should be fine), remove a jumpjets and protect those MGs!

BAP is only really necessary if you want to run streaks yourself. If the only purpose is countering ECM within 120m, it's going to be dead weight in a lot of cases where you can't stick that close, and 1.5 tons of useless weight is not acceptable on a light.

4. Tyrogandio

Tyrogandio New Member

Thanks for the input Subject Seven.

I haven't actually used SRM2+A in my mechs as I tend to prefer the Streaks. If your experience tells you that Artemis does not benefit the SRM2 that much, I'll have to take your word for it.

If I spread the ammo around I should be able to drop the C.A.S.E. as I've done on the BAP build (which doesn't include a CASE).

Though I still think that the JJs are very usefull for mobility on a light mech and would not give up on them. Also, I have found that few players carry BAPs these days and a lot of drops include ECM using mechs (ECM Spiders show up in 75%+ of my matches). Though I don't carry Streaks and have no personal use for the BAP, one must consider the team. And since my weapons are 270m - in the case of the SRMs - and 120-240m - in the case of the MGs - I do believe I'll be in the 120m ECM negation range a lot.

In the end, this is but a suggestion and players should take ideas from my post and come up with variations they feel confortable with.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast