HGN-733C Brawler (1x AC20, 3x SRM6, 2x MLAS, 3x JJ, STD310)

Thread in 'HGN-733C' started by Kiryn, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Kiryn

Kiryn New Member

Following in the footsteps of my favorite Atlas D-DC build, I came up with this, Has good speed, 3 JJ's for manuverability and a STD Engine for durability. Heat is manageable, Good Alpha, good sustained damage.

Will be running this tonight and tweaking as needed.

After running several matches I was feeling the need for Artemis, so this is what I did.

But if you want to give up just a little speed and armor you can go this route. (Thanks TetsuBo for the Tip)

All in all I had great Runs in these builds last night, Top damage was 977, and I had 5 or 6 over 900 dmg, I don't think I had a run under 400 damage all night in this mech, I didn't fare nearly as well in my 932 however.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. Lycar

Lycar New Member

Played a few matches with this build, I really like it so far.

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

This is a mech I can wrap my head around!

My Centurion 9A runs the same build but with an AC/2 and no jump jets so this guy is his bigger, badder, tougher brother.

I like it! That AC/20 packs a wallop when in close and I love using MLas.

Overall this thing is pure win in the city. At

4. TetsuBo

TetsuBo New Member

Looks nice.
    I think I'd drop the engine down to a 300, shave off half a ton of the leg armor and get artemis.
    You'd lose ~2 kph, but I think artemis is worth it.

5. Kiryn

Kiryn New Member

Thanks for the Tip, I might try that tonight, I did something different however, dropped a top of ammo and went to SRM4's in the Torso to pick up Artemis, I only ran out of Ammo in a couple fights, however I like your idea and will try it tonight after I get speed tweak, (god I hate being slow), I think the highlander can get away with being a little slower than an atlas because the jump jets help so much with maneuverability.

6. TruePoindexter

TruePoindexter Active Member

Very nice! I run something very similar:

I like having the larger AC20 ammo store as I often take long shots at 500m while I'm closing range. The SRM4's give you a healthy close range punch in combination with the MLs though I find that it's best to fire one or the other and not both. Either working the AC20 + 3 SRM4s or the AC20 + 2 ML as constant alpha striking drives the heat up quickly. Shot some good footage of this build last night with a video coming soon.

7. Kiryn

Kiryn New Member

I Like yours as well Poindexter, I might try it tonight just because I am interested in trying a build utilizing all the jump jets. Coming from the heavy metal with 5 jump jets (your build btw), it was quite a shock having only 3, but I felt like it didn't need more than that really as a brawler.

Using SRM 4's exclusively might get around needing Artemis as much, and they fire faster so what they lose on alpha they can somewhat make up in DPS. But I kinda like having an SRM6 on the Arm, I have a seperate weapon group for that so I can fire them at people above and below me.

So this,

Silly mech keeps costing me money lol.

8. biggieboy

biggieboy New Member

I've been experimenting with the Highlanders as brawlers, and I must say I'm very pleased with them.

here are the strongpoints of this build:

57 firepower
    decent cooling efficiency
    max speed possible for a highlander
    max armor except for the legs

downsides:
    no JJ's
    ammo might be a bit of a problem, and I'm not too sure about the location of the ammo, i hear conflicting opinions ("put it in torso", "no, put it in arms",...)

I've been doing great with this build, 700-800 dam isn't rare.

An alternative with JJ's might be this:

switched srm6 to srm4, and dropped 1 ton of srm ammo (should be enough) to make room for JJ's, allowing greater mobility and mid-air turning.

Hope you like the builds!

9. Tesseract

Tesseract New Member

Just threw this together. This is actually my first build but unless there is something I am overlooking I think it would work. I'm not too sure about the ammo/JJ placement so I just tried to spread them out as best I could. Let me know what you guys think.

10. biggieboy

biggieboy New Member

Brawler with XL? Dangerous

11. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

You certainly have a decent amount of firepower but wow one machine gun crit hit round in either your right or left torso (rear especially) and its over for you

12. Tesseract

Tesseract New Member

I'm not too familiar with how crits work, but is there any modifications you would suggest to lessen that possibility?

13. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Brawling with an XL can be more dangerous, but the extra speed and firepower can be worth the tradeoff.

When I'm placing ammo, I start legs, then go head (it's the first place ammo gets used) and then Center torso. Basically I figure if I'm taking crits there, I'm probably dead anyway.

14. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

I run a 733 and brawl with that exact XL engine, here is my experience so far. The chest peices are very compact on the Highlander also so long as you keep moving and never stop jumping here and there twisting and turning your torso to spread damage an XL can work but for the love of god dont stand in one place or advance up the field in an strait line during a fire fight or you will lose a side torso fiarly quickly. An XL engine in this mech means that you have to keep moving to survive. You stop with enemies in range you die.

I will suggest one thing though. IF you are going to put Ammo in a torso put it in CT and move that JJ in CT to the SRM ammo's place. This will increase your survivability with an XL further still because the way you have it now that ton of SRM ammo can take out your side torso ware as if it where in CT it would take them longer to chew through it.

15. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

Also, If you wanted to bring the leg armors up to 69 (No one legs anything bla bla bla...Ok I say that isn't true but even if it is true and I am wrong) You are running a Jumpjet mech....Between fall damage and people shooting at your chest but hitting your legs because you jumpjetted as they where firing your legs will take damage. AC20 ammo is lots of damage when it goes.

Bring up the legs to 69...Remove a JJ (All the other variants run 3 and it is more than enough. Add Artemis to your SRMs.... I say this because with one launcher being on the arms and all of the missiles firing in one single volly because of the number of tubes that are present Artemis will be a boon, especially when you are jumping and point that SRM arm down to hit something from the sky.

16. skribs

skribs Min-Max Maniac

Upping leg armor and dropping a Jump Jet shouldn't give you the tonnage to upgrade 3 tubes to Artemis.

17. Tuku

Tuku Well-Known Member

You are correct! I forget to say drop the AMS too....:p

Artemis is not Required to make this build good (It is already an AC20 atlas with a bit less armor and Jump Jets) but if you prefer the protection of AMS over the more precises missiles with Artemis then dont remove the AMS but do buff the leg armor back up. That just scares me lol. For this mech at least.

18. Dwergi

Dwergi Well-Known Member

Anyone who says to put ammo in the torso doesn't know what they're talking about. 1 in head because it gets used first, 4 in legs, rest in arms. If you have to put it in the torso (and you have a standard engine), you need CASE so that side torso destruction doesn't kill your center torso as well.

19. Ubercado

Ubercado New Member

I've been using this build with good effect. I like the speed of it and the greater torso twist of the higher engine.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=72&l=37883a1eb4d7e96cb9a5bf7e7a3b9089d692fc20

20. ScatterBrain888

ScatterBrain888 Active Member

My own modification:

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast