HBK-4P Techwalrus' Sting Build (8x MPLas, STD275)
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'HBK-4P' started by TechWalrus, Nov 2, 2014.

1. TechWalrus

TechWalrus New Member

I have not seen anyone other than me try this build. I've used the search engine on this site and discovered it was not there either. I have never tested this in a tournament but I have run with groups. I've run a couple matches and reached an average of 500 in-game, each 100 devoted to melting through an enemy CT or leg.

Strategic Info: The left torso and arm serves as a shield and a target for the enemy (The left arm usually goes first.). The 8 MPLas are good for two alpha on a cold map, with a half-second delay on mid temperature maps and about three seconds on a hot map. I highly recommend you equip coolshot for your first few kills in-game. This mech is not built for the charge and should remain in cover or within the group. Well placed shots will surprise enemies and possibly kill them if they have weak armor. Use chain firing when dealing with light mechs unless you can land the perfect hit. You will waste heat if you miss. It should be noted that an elite hunchback-4p can equip three mech modules. That's Radar Dep., Adv. Seismic Sensor and Target Info Gathering if it suits you.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Madgoose

Madgoose Well-Known Member

This build runs hotter than my Knifeback and has less armor.:cautious:
    I doubt that this build is more efficient than the standard 9ML build - due to the longer cooling breaks you have to take (23% vs 35% Cool.Eff.).
    I'm usually firing my 9MLs in 2 pairs of 4 and 5 to avoid ghosheat (alpha only when point blank) -> firing just 1 or 2 lasers on this build when you still have all 9 is just frustrating.:wideyed:
    Upcoming changes:
    The Knifeback will gain more benefits from the new quirks and with the upcoming changes to laserweapons: the beamduration will be 0,56 (Pulse) vs 0,76 (ML) - IF my math is correct (on the other hand the heat for Pulse will go down to 4.00).
    Maybe this build will have to be revised on Nov 4th. till then I'll stick to my Knifeback (and prolly will in the future).:thumbsup:

Edit: Welcome to Mechspecs - didn't see that it was your 1st post.:)

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Welcome on Mechspecs.

I'm with Madgoose here, as much as I love the wubwub this build is way over-weaponned for it's cooling efficiency.
    It can't sustain any prolonged engagement, thus can't brawl and must rely on close/mid-range harassment. At this game I think the 9 MLas build is largely superior, thanks to better range and heat management, and it will be even more in a few days with the MLas specific quirks.

4. TechWalrus

TechWalrus New Member

I just prefer quick and accurate firepower over the medium laser build. If I'm going to use medium lasers I usually stick with the jenner.

5. Madgoose

After the quirks the time gap will be 0.2secs - so might want to try then the "normal" MLs. :)

Regina Redshift likes this.
  6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I don't understand the logic here.
    The Hunchback is a (relatively) slow mech, aiming at big and slow targets. Even is the standard laser is "long" (though you'll have a -15% duration quirk) it's still pretty easy to track the target and aim at a specific component.
    On the other hand the Jenner is a fast moving mech, thus would benefit a lot from the short duration of the pulse lasers, for jousting manoeuvres as well as for light vs light dog-fights.
    (that being said, you don't mount 6 MPLas on a Jenner, 4 is already hot enough)(+ specific quirks incoming for the -K variant)

Madgoose likes this.
  7. Madgoose

Was about to edit my post but epikt was faster^^
    You can brawl with a HBK equipped with a STD engine - but not if ur running that hot. And even with your 275er the HBk is too slow to run away in most situations.
    My 2 cents.

8. TechWalrus

TechWalrus New Member

It is also mention that mpl might increase in tonnage and firepower. It may be worth investing in.

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Even with 20 Heatsinks this build is hard to handle. On Hot Maps it's even harder to avoid overheating. Have you even fieldtested this setup? I doubt it can do as good as the 9MLas Build. Maybe you can prove us wrong with some scoreboards.

Other problems with your build:
    Lose the Hunch and so lose almost all the Firepower.
    So low Armor at Legs and Rears. Lights will enjoy to assassin you.

Try a Mix of MLas and MPlas (MLas in the Hunch to shoot over ridges). E.g. This here:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I was so astonished by the weapon loadout I hadn't notice you had 19 free slots.
    => if you want to keep this build at least upgrade the armor to ferrofibrous, you'll gain 0.75t. Use it to add armor on the legs.

I have 20 DHS on my Jester, for 6 med pulses, and I think it's the right balance for a wub-wub boat.

I built the OP hunchback and brought it on training grounds (River City day) for some comparison with the Jester.
    The hunch overheats at its second alpha after only 4 seconds. It also need 11 seconds to cool off 50% heat (which is still less than what it generates in one alpha).
    The Jester overheats at its 5th alpha after 14s and needs 9 seconds to cool-off 50% heat.
    Needless to say, if I sometimes need to pay special attention to heat management on the Jester, I would feel VERY uncomfortable on a mech building 50+% heat per shot and needing more than ten seconds to cool off before the next.

Well, it's the case of all Hunchbacks, not really his fault.
    And having all the weapons on the right side allows him to save some tonnage from left side armor.

Agree about the legs, 24 points is amazingly low, even a single MLas shot will flag them as weak targets.
    Disagree about the RT rear, the hunch hitbox is made in such a way you must place most of the armor on front. If I remember correctly I have something like 46/2 on mines.

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

That's why I check Rears of Hunchbacks first. ;)

12. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I know what you mean. When I'm on my Jenner and get in the back of a Hunchback, I alpha the RT rear and... it's gone!
    But as a Hunchy pilot I still lose the hunch a lot more often from frontal fire than backstab.

13. TechWalrus

TechWalrus New Member

I've only been legged like twice in the past few days I've been using it. Nobody ever checks there. Yes I have field tested it. I got my first ace of spades with it as unbelievable as it sounds.

http://i.imgur.com/2g9evxw.jpg link to the 8 kill

Blagg Zear likes this.
  14. epikt

epikt Benefactor

That's because you didn't ran into me or any of my disciples! Any half decent light pilot checks the legs, especially when in swarm.
    => http://www.mechspecs.com/threads/guide-the-leg-your-favorite-target.1771/
    Also, with only 24 armor points it isn't even required to check the legs to see they're weak: splash from missiles or any laser scratching the paint will reveal a major weakness to anyone knows how to press "R".

15. TechWalrus

TechWalrus New Member

First you'd have to find me before I find you (Seismic), then you'd have to be sure its me and then you'd have to dodge that 48 I'm sending directly towards whatever cripples you. For missile splash I already have radar dep. and as an added bonus I have Target Info Gathering, MPL Range 5 and MPL Cooldown 5. You also have to consider that while I may have posted the above build, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm running with that same armor.

16. Ragnar RedHawk

Ragnar RedHawk Well-Known Member

Quirks
    Additional Armor (RT) +18
    Additional Structure (RT) +12
    Torso Turn Rate (Pitch) +10%
    Torso Turn Rate (Yaw) +37.5%
    Energy Cooldown +7.5%
    Energy Heat Generation -10%
    Laser Duration -7.5%
    Medium Laser Cooldown +7.5%
    Medium Laser Duration -7.5%

No other mech will cover such distance, peek corners so smoothly, or alpha more violently than most direwolves. This is not a one to be ignored.

17. Ragnar RedHawk

Ragnar RedHawk Well-Known Member

5/5,
    Heat efficient, quick and precise.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast