HBK-4H "Refried Beans" (1x Gauss, 4x MLas, XL255)

Thread in 'HBK-4H' started by scromboid, Jun 5, 2013.

1. scromboid

scromboid Well-Known Member

Refried Beans - 1 Gauss(40), 4 ML, XL255, 53% cooling

After reading *all the posts in this thread*, this is the build I came up with and have been running for several days now. I have to say, because of the hunch, I never thought of putting a Gauss Rifle in it, much less a Gauss Rifle + and XL engine, but this build is fun AND brutal. Thanks to *Monky* for the original idea.

Now, a few quick thoughts that went into the build before I get any deeper.

First - Yes, it's dangerous to run an XL in a Hunchback - especially with a Gauss. Without going too far, I'll say this - if you can't handle it, don't play it. If you can, it's WORTH it. Quickest engine this build can take without an XL is a 205, so you are going from 90.7kph to 73.1kph AND dropping from 53% cooling efficiency to 44%. This is the difference between getting pounded on while trying to cycle weapons and heat AND trying to get to cover vs. deftly weaving through enemies placing solid shots without the worry of heat buildup OR being able to put a critical Alpha in the back of an exposed boat.

Second - Yes, you can use an AC/20 with ~almost~ the same build.

You lose your XL and are forced down to a STD215. You drop 19% heat efficiency and to 76.6kph. Also, you have to worry more about minimum ranges and gravity at range. Furthermore, you do not have a weapon to fire now at 95% heat...

Lastly - No, this build is not for everyone. For me, and my playstyle, I can make is really SHINE, though, and it's the first time I've been having fun in my hunchie 4H in a LONG time.

Stats -

I can't take screenshots on my PC (dont ask), so I can't show proof just yet, but this build SHINES for me. Last night, first game was a doozy for me. 5 kills, 3 assists and 810 damage. This is a little high for me as a player and a little high for this build usually. It really was just a great game overall. After this game, I settled into a more normal pacing of 3 kills, 5 assists and 560ish damage.

Playstyle -

The beauty of this build is really using the ~design~ of the Hunchback in your favor. You have a huge target on your right shoulder, yes, BUT you also have an elevated weapon and a low profile head as well. For me, a right handed shooter IRL, this lines up perfectly when I am sneaking a bit around cover and popping off shots. You present a very small target in the right cover and can move quickly in and out. The key here is to spot your enemy and fire off a single Gauss round before ducking back into cover. If you do this right, you can get off 2-3 shots from the same position without being spotted, thus not being force to move. Also, because of this, you can spot for your team and give them logistics while you are dodging in and out of cover. Remember - a mastered hunchback with a 255XL is a VERY quick little robot! You just have "rock" as you are ducking in and out of cover. Hit 0 to get to full throttle... as soon as your throttle hits halfway, hit X, then hold S. If positioned correctly, you show your face/hunch for a split second, pop off a Gauss and are gone. While moving back, turn your left shoulder to the enemy so, if they do see you, and manage to get off a shot, your RT is protected.

Why Gauss? Personally, I am much better with a Gauss than an AC/20. I am a K2 pilot with Dual Gauss and I just like the feel of the gun better. Also, you don't have to worry about ballistic drop off at range AND you get a better range for punch. 5 damage? You will lose that on an AC/20 at 800m whereas a Gauss, I can aim straight at an enemy (not up for dropoff) and get the same or better damage. Plus, I'll have 12 more shots with the same 4 tons of ammo. Doesn't seem like much, but overall, it's 600 damage with the gauss and 560 with the AC/20 if you hit all your shots. You won't, at range, with an AC/20 and you won't do as much damage. Remember, optimum range on an AC/20 is 270@900 speed vs. Gauss is 660@1200 speed.

The real kicker with the Gauss is the lack of HEAT. Now, this build runs at 53% cooling without taking into effect the proficiencies. With them, I can alpha a good 10-12 times without fear of overheating, which means total overall damage output goes up. Do I want to do that in a fight? Not necessarily, since you do not want to expose that Hunch, but more on that in a second. What it does mean is that if you have a target of opportunity, you can unload into them when you need to and not worry about the heat. Even on Tourmaline and Caustic, I have very little trouble with heat, considering you have a 15 point damage weapon you can deliver effectively at 0m and 1000m with ZERO heat. You never have to overheat if you do not want to and you can consistently deliver damage even while running over 90% which you are rarely forced to do.

The meat of this build, however, lies in your ability to pilot a medium.

This is not a complicated build, but it is an advanced one. I have mastered all my hunchbacks, so have the 2x cooling tweaks, speed tweak and the like. My piloting skills aren't all that great (i don't think) but after 1200 drops, I've begun to learn to manage myself in cover and utilize other mechs to my advantage. The real key to this build is delivering your damage without getting damage in return. Really, that's the Hunchback way, but it's even more important here with the Gauss and XL. You have the tools to get in and out of enemy fire - you just have to do it. Pop out of cover at full speed, fire at that Cataphract, then dive back into cover and circle around. At this speed, you will be able to bob and weave in true Inner Sphere style and never present yourself as a target for more than a few seconds if you plan it properly. All the while, you can fire every single time your weapons reset (especially in a snow map) and deliver 35 damage where ever you look.

Also, remember to use your teammates as cover. If they are standing out in the middle of nowhere in between you and the enemy, use them as a damage shield. They are going to get shot anyways. No reason for you to stand there and get shot, too. That Atlas is in between your building and another building. Run out, pop off a volley, slow behind the Atlas. When they lead you assuming you will just run behind him, or just hit him because he is just chilling there, wait a moment, then run again, fire another volley and dive back into cover. Now, you can circle around that cover behind the same dude that was just shooting at you because he is all engaged with an Assault mech. He thinks he can afford to ignore your 50 ton robot because you are obviously scared of his superior firepower, right? Not so much... circle behind, shove a few Alphas into his back and wink a "You're Welcome" at your smoking Atlas buddy cuz you just saved his hide!

It is a versatile build. You can engage from 1000m, you can engage from 10m. Personally, I don't like to dance all that much at range with the sniper boats, but being able to fire a few shots into their line while they are positioning without them even seeing my silhouette is pretty fun. Nothing busts up a firing line like a few Gauss shots from an odd direction when you cannot even see the shooter!

Cons -

The major con is no different than any other Hunchback. It is the hunch.

That said, I am also a Catapult pilot, so I know all about "dangerous chassis". The cockpit on a Catapult is roughly twice the size of an Atlas and is automatically hit by any weapon that uses a trigger to fire. At 18 points of armor (I swear if they'd let me, I would take all the armor out of my CT (because it never gets hit, the cockpit is in the way) and put it in the cockpit. Furthermore, I run a Gauss K2, so I cannot hide behind hills and pop my ears up to take shots (though I do it sometimes just to get them blown off to give me a lower profile). Cat pilots, you know what I am talking about.

There is no difference with the Hunchback. You have GOT to protect that Right Torso. For a Hunchback pilot, that is nothing new. When that torso is gone, so is most of your weaponry. My thought? I would rather be dead than run around as a stick with one laser. If you are getting chewed up that bad to lose 38 armor, you really need to rethink whether the Hunchback is the right mech for you. Remember - Give damage and receive none. That should be the Hunchback motto. Just because we can take it does not mean we should. We still have paper thin armor compared to an Assault and, I know, we all think we are Assaults.

Key? Keep moving, stay in cover and present a small target.

Okay, I am done typing. :) I will gladly take feedback and questions.

*** I did asterisks on the links because, for some reason in this theme, they do not show up well. I wanted to give credit to the thread and author who got me to put a Gauss into my "Explodo-shoulder".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. scromboid

I have actually modified this build to the following and like it quite a bit more. Less dangerous and a bit more fun.

3. scromboid

Just a quick note here... I posted this forever ago.

Still rocking this little guy and totally loving it. Still the best HBK I run, and my most favorite :)

4. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

pst, run it without the XL in the OP. use a STD engine.

5. Vaeden

Vaeden Active Member

This build is amazing...I made some slight tweaks (realized I didn't need all the DHS and 30 gauss is enough I'm stingy with ammo and added a bit of speed)but its still the same awesomeness 5stars for sure

6. Jagger225

Jagger225 New Member

I ran the same build as Vaeden to elite this chassis. Absolutely wrecked with adv zoom and target info gathering pre-clan.

Anyone still running hunchies definitely should try this even post-clan...just keep your distance, stay out of sight, and poke away...be sure to use the torso twist ALWAYS as well. Don't just stare and wait for the gauss to reload.

5/5 for awesomeness and it's kind of sweet to see the gauss from the cockpit. :cool:

Sincerely,

Jagger225

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast