Career Griffin 1N --- 2ML+LRMs Spotter

Thread in 'Griffin' started by Toastygawa, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

This build is best used with a Rangefinder acquired in Campaign or Career, paired with ++ weaponry, but is shown here in one configuration with standard gear. I found the Griffin to be very versatile, from the moment I got it through to late game, especially if you utilize lightweight weaponry. This build relies on its speed to get it into view range of your targets, and letting it harass, but not fully engage until the rest of the heavies and assaults in your lance catch up. Evasion keeps it alive. The 3 ML are to help finish once the entire lance is committed.
    [​IMG]

Adjustments: Rangefinder is essential, and use what missile combinations you like. I've also had success with a glassy 2xLRM10/LL build in this role.

Pros: 55Ton mechs are fast and can spot the OpFor well ahead of your assaults, more survivable than stock, LA and LT are expendable shields.
    Cons: Only 135 dmg in alpha, and not much purpose for it if the rest of your lance doesn't have LRMs or other long range.

2. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

A far more effective variation from Career, this build uses 2ML and an SRM6 to contribute to damage, with the pair of LRM5s serving as the keep-away harass. Note the upgraded Rangefinder; a 25m is not as useful, but a 50m allows you to hang back and give your lance a target without them seeing you at all, if you space it properly. I wish psychological warfare played a little role in this game, because suffering long range bombardment without being able to retaliate would be a great blow to enemy unit morale.

[​IMG]

I used a brawler to translate this build, and you can see the previous gear in the dismount spot. 2SRM6, 2ML, Cockpit Reinforcement, and a high-stab arm mod and SL for the occasional fisticuffs.

3. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

Another example, because I got a real kick out of using this one for a while. This one relies heavily on Lostech, but it can be done with a great Rangefinder and a LL++ or +++ with any Griffin, granted without the same Heat Efficiency.

[​IMG]

Pros: Looks amazing, and when spotting for a lance of LRM boats, you can destroy the OpFor without them ever seeing you.
    Cons: Low damage on its own (it's a spotter, not a striker), best used with Lostech and ++ or better gear, kinda requires a good rangefinder, the keep-away tactic can be countered by Sensor Lock.

4. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

And now, only available with the 2N and it's 4x Missile hardpoints, here's the same thing with 4LRM5s instead of 2LRM10s, which saves you 2 tons and costs you 4 heat... a real bargain. I used the tonnage to bring it up to the maximum 5 JJ, and added 1ML for finishing (without that ML, the Heat Efficiency is significantly higher.) My LRM5+++ collection is spread out among other mechs, but their increased stability damage makes for another tick higher in the Firepower category, too.

[​IMG]

Alright, I'll stop sharing this build, now. I used it for quite a while, but have since changed the 2N's function to a Brawler. I might revert, since it remains fairly safe as a spotter instead, and it's fairly high in value to me.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast