Grid Iron "90" (1x Gauss, 3x MPL, XL245)
3.5/5,

4 ratings

Thread in 'Grid Iron' started by JimEvolved, Dec 7, 2014.

1. JimEvolved

JimEvolved New Member

So per Russ/PGI, HBK-GI quirk is changing from UAC5 to Gauss. There aren't many GI Gauss builds on this forum, and none so far that I can see that combine Gauss+MPL to maximize quirks.

If you want to use both Gauss + 3 MPLs (sort of the standard HBK main weapon +3 builds), you're stuck with either a microscopic STD engine, or a passable XL engine. Here from stock I've loaded 40 Gauss rounds, kept the stock armor levels, added an MPL to the head, stripped both DHS from the arms, moved the Gauss rounds to the legs, obviously stripped out all the missile junk, and given it an XL245.

Alternatives? Change the head laser back to something smaller and strip some armor off to get a standard engine in there that doesn't make you a sitting duck? Strip out one of the lasers entirely and try to keep as much armor as possible? I'm open to any suggestions.

For the record, I still think this is a bad quirk combination. The Gauss is not a great close-range weapon compared to common alternatives like the AC/20, but the MPL isn't a long range weapon. An XL on a HBK is really only good for distance fighting but if you stay at range then you're wasting all the firepower of your MPLs. I almost like this GI build better for range fighting, like an HBK PPC Cicada.

I'd *much rather* see the GI with an AC/20 quirk (before everyone raises the most-frequent objection that the G has the AC/20 quirk I'll remind you that 2 different Centurion chassis have AC/20 quirks) or, in lieu of that, an AC/10 quirk that might pair better with MPLs than AC/20 (fewer compromises on armor/engine).

So, in advance of HBK-GI quirks switching from UAC5s to Gauss I thought I'd get this discussion rolling.

Solahma likes this.
  2. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

I'd be amazed if you would last through 40 gauss rounds. Can b33f the engine up a little in it's place (and use the ammo to help crit pad your weapon). I know I won't be running this build, quirk or not, it's just dumb to run an XL with a weapon that crits easily in a side torso.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    JimEvolved likes this.
  3. JimEvolved

JimEvolved New Member

You're not going to get an argument from me there.

4. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Well, with 50% gauss cooldown it's probably not going to be THAT difficult :p

5. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

yeah, who would have guessed a 50% cooldown?! 4 tons is probably more accurate now and the OP build is correct (although you still need to move the ammo to RT/CT)

JimEvolved and Solahma like this.
  6. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

Yeah, no kidding.

Concering the ammo placement, LT Satisfactory is correct. Gauss ammo doesn't explode so you should use them as "Crit Padding" of critical equipment like your Gauss rifle and Engine. The build has plenty of slots open, so turn each 1 ton ammo into 1/2 ton ammo to take up more slots like so:

JimEvolved likes this.
  7. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

One small word of caution, in the first quirk pass we saw some really high-powered quirks like the 5SS. That's changed in the second pass. So don't go buying the Grid Iron based on the 50% Gauss cooldown alone cause thay may very well change.

That said, man alive this is gonna be high on the priority list to kill. Grid Iron, .50 cal sniper - live tonight! ;)

8. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Bad admission... my Grid iron has always had an XL in it. ;)

9. JimEvolved

JimEvolved New Member

I will also be giving it a try.

10. Abigail Acerose

Abigail Acerose Active Member

I really want to find a way to lose a ton/slot, squeeze Ferro-Fibrous on there, and load a larger engine while retaining 40 shots and 3xMPL...

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

75kph is the fastest std version i can get this build to without dropping too much Armor/Ammo.

Since the Gauss Rifle is so fragile, i doubt it would perform well with an XL Engine. Plenty of critpadding Ammo or not. Maybe you can prove me wrong. (I always shoot at the Hunch, when i see one of these mechs. And they always explode faster than they can shoot often enough back to kill me first - ok, if i get them into my weapons range..)

or go for maximum Speed to reposition fast!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  12. JimEvolved

JimEvolved New Member

If I put that build together I'd probably experiment with dumping one of the MPL for another full Gauss load given the aggressive cooldown. Will be interesting to see whether 30 or 40 rounds works better.

13. Thiak

Thiak Well-Known Member

14. Renegademaster

Renegademaster Well-Known Member

5/5,
    Maximise Crit Padding by using 1/2 ton units of Ammo. Shave the legs since everyone will be aiming for your torsos anyway!

15. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

5/5,
    Tested. One of the best Builds for the current quirks. Love it

Here is my Mod with the commonly used XL255 for a good speed of 90+, more than enough Ammo for most battles and Ammo Placement to get nice crit-padding - 1ton Ammo Bins in the GR-Shoulder to keep those critslots filled as long as possible, and 0.5tons in the left ST to get as much critslots filled as possible.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  16. Jaxx the Elder

Jaxx the Elder Star Lord

2/5,
    Sadly this is outdated now after the nerf to the GI's quirks

17. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

2/5,
    Outdated. Only a shadow of it's own self after the cooldown for the GR was adjusted.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast