Ember 'Little Cheese' (4x MLas, 4x MG, 2x JJ, XL295)
5/5,

5 ratings

Thread in 'Ember' started by Michael, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Johnny05

Johnny05 New Member

I love jump jets for getting into and out of trouble. This isn't a mech to 'hide and poke', more of a 'hide and jump'. Use seismic to see what's on the other side walls; if someone is alone jump over and back stab. If you get spotted or bite off more than you can chew the extra jets give you enough fuel to jump back fast.

With four Medium lasers by the time you start getting hot you would have already stripped the armor off the section you're working on and the Machine Guns will take care of the rest.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

I think 4xML 4xMG is the staple build for Ember. I'm running it with AMS and 11xDHS right now, think i'm gonna switch to 12xDHS though. (i hate seeing free tonnage >

3. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I'm running same as Johnny. 2t of MG Ammo and 5x JJ. Very enjoyable little mech.

4. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

Already took part in games where an Ember with this loadout shred bigger mechs apart like nothing. In two of the matches the Ember dealt more than 500 damage respectively and each one killed 5 other mechs.

5. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

This thing rips damaged and low-armored mech parts to shreds. Its a jenner on steroids. Ive seen 800 FS9-E damage ratings today, sadly not mine, and did 7 kills in a single game myself. I think it is at least slightly OP.

6. robertmw1988

robertmw1988 Junior Member

I used to really like my max speed Commando-DK. I could easily get 600+ damage with it. Now this comes along, gives you 85% of the speed, the 4xML, an EXTRA 4xMG and JJ! I don't think the Deaths Knell has a point anymore.

7. greenbeard

greenbeard Active Member

The only thing I don't like about this mech is the paint job.

8. Business

Business Advanced Member

Ugh the paint is awful

9. ProtoformX

ProtoformX Active Member

Oh my f-ing God, this 'Mech and load-out is amazing. I'm not even a good light pilot(been practicing Jenners though), and this thing lets me PUG like I mean it. I'd give it a 6/5 if I could. ^_^

[​IMG]

[img width=700 height=437]http://s30.postimg.org/5kyhhhn75/Screen_Shot0009.jpg[/img]

10. epikt

epikt Benefactor

More than once I wished I had more than my 4000.

11. Business

Business Advanced Member

Yesterday on Caustic I had a lancemate in an Atlas get singled out by a ER Large Laser Cicada/Spider lance. Went in to rescue him (announced my arrival with an arty strike---it was sweet) and I'm pretty sure I used up all 2 tons of MG ammo in the minimum time required to do so. I just wanted more ammo so I could keep firing for effect, lol

The funny thing is that since this mech was released I haven't played any other mechs. The only other time that has happened was with the Ilya. Can't wait to get this mech mastered!

12. Tek

Tek New Member

What modules do you guys run?

13. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I run seismic and cap accelerator or seismic and amp. artillery.

14. CX 1237

CX 1237 Active Member

*sigh* I guess it's just me then. I can't make a good game in the Ember even if my life depended on it.
    Dunno if it's the fact that the mgs are mounted in the torso and the lazors are in the arms or the fact that I get overzealous and try to hose down -everything- in sight...

I mean, Jenners, Ravens, Commandos, Spiders and Locust; all elited/mastered, but this thing. ugh.
    Perhaps I should try and do something really counter-intuitive and run -with- armlock.

/BB - very perplexed.

15. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Target Info Gathering. Always.
    Plus capture accelerator, seismic or arty.

[quote author=Blitzbop link=topic=5527.msg36543#msg36543 date=1391946247]
    *sigh* I guess it's just me then. I can't make a good game in the Ember even if my life depended on it.[/quote]
    Give it some time.
    My first games on it were terrible too. Dying instantly, dealing so little damage. But as soon as I get the trick, this little machine became deadly.

16. e92

e92 Benefactor

Great advice.

I am a new light pilot and I only have experience playing mechs with major firepower. I'm starting to get it now and a few good games have come in. This thing is starting to be fun.

[​IMG]

Next up is learning how not to die. I've died in 20 of 26 matches I've played in this thing :unsure:

I feel like I am not doing well against good pilots. Anyone that can aim worth a damn shreds me to pieces. How do I not get hit? Or are these mechs built to attack unsuspecting players only?

17. ProtoformX

ProtoformX Active Member

You have to use cover just like a big 'Mech. Either wait until they're shooting at someone else, or sneak up behind them. Nice damage there.

18. e92

e92 Benefactor

Will do, thanks! We had a fun game together against those jenners on HPG :) Nearly out of ammo, I legged Surly and then dropped an art on him for the kill to save the ammo for the next mech, hah! Totally not something I'd do in a heavy mech. Its fun in the little guys being creative on the field.

My 10 game damage averages over the first 40 games:
    1-10: 222.8
    11-20: 301.3
    21-30: 510.1
    31-40: 532.7

Stick with this mech, its a killer!

19. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You also need to constantly think about escape routes.
    Ideally a good situation awareness (the most important thing when playing light really) will prevent you to do something stupid but, well, sometimes it just happens, you run into a superior bunch of enemies. Or you're taking a big alpha strike from nowhere. There are a lot of situations in a light when the fight totally turns against your favor, then you must escape as fast as you can (guess why I love jump-jets).
    In a word: "it does not look dangerous for me to move here, but if suddenly it is I already know how to run away".

About light vs light combat, I'm sorry to say that except against a pretty poor player you will take significant damage. Even if you eventually win at the end, a 1v1 is never a good thing.
    Then the strategy is (aside from aiming at the legs) to lure your opponent into your own pack (of course, don't chase to much because he will do the same thing).

That being said, there's something with the Firestarter that bothered me at once. I actually can't tell what it is, but it took me a dozen of very poor games to get used to it (and I'm not a fresh light pilot, I have more than 1000 launches in Jenner, more than 500 in Spider).

20. e92

e92 Benefactor

Ah. That might be a bingo moment right there. I rarely ever run from a fully-engaged fight. Not in my blood because that just doesn't work in a big mech. Speed in my other mechs has always been about getting me to the fight, never about getting me out of trouble.

[quote author=epikt link=topic=5527.msg36607#msg36607 date=1392035943]
    About light vs light combat, I'm sorry to say that except against a pretty poor player you will take significant damage. Even if you eventually win at the end, a 1v1 is never a good thing.[/quote]

I think I've been holding my own vs other lights. It helps that there arn't very many streak lights left though. I've only seen a couple of oxides and no one runs their 3L with streaks anymore.

Forget 1v1's, I've been doing 1v2's or worse, hah! I have written under my own scoresheet for the Ember to "DO NOT SWIM IN A SEA OF RED".

[quote author=epikt link=topic=5527.msg36607#msg36607 date=1392035943]
    Then the strategy is (aside from aiming at the legs) to lure your opponent into your own pack (of course, don't chase to much because he will do the same thing).

That being said, there's something with the Firestarter that bothered me at once. I actually can't tell what it is, but it took me a dozen of very poor games to get used to it (and I'm not a fresh light pilot, I have more than 1000 launches in Jenner, more than 500 in Spider).
    [/quote]

I read and watched your leg guide a while back and have been using it selectively ever since, even in my big mechs. Great guide!

The torso MGs are bothering me because they don't have very much pitch to them. This has been making life difficult for me in toe-to-toe combat. Big mechs have all kinds of trouble hitting me when I am right on their back, but because of the torso pitch issue, often I have to be 'outside of his hoola hoop' to be able to hit the part that I want.

I have a total of 42 drops in a light. 2 in the trial spider, 40 in the ember. Its a learning process for sure. I've got the damage thing down. Eluding death is a work in progress. 32/42 matches in a light I've died :unsure: