DRG-5N "D-P-S" (3x RAC2, LE250)

Thread in 'DRG-5N' started by Falconium, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Falconium

Falconium Administrator Staff Member

Obviously you can't lose the right arm, but that aside, this thing puts out some pretty nasty numbers.

RAC2s put out alot of DPS, at the cost of alot of heat. It's worth noting that they not only have a higher DPS than UAC2s, but they also have a higher DPS-to-HPS ratio than UAC2s, ergo an overall higher damage-to-heat ratio, ergo more efficient damage. To put it simply, not only will your base DPS be higher with RAC2s, but you'll also put out more damage before overheating with 3xRAC2s than you will with 3xUAC2s.

All that being said, it's still worth noting that UAC2s are a ton lighter each than RAC2s, for comparable (but slightly inferior) damage and heat numbers. As such, the "Lucky Dragon" setup may be preferable, as it provides more DHS, which could offset the heat advantage of the RAC2s (but that's more complicated math than I'm willing to get into after 2:00 AM).
    But wait, there's more! The UAC2s, being lighter, allow for an extra half-ton of ammo --- potentially an extra full ton if you're willing to reduce the armor more, but I'm comparing the builds as they are, with essentially equal armor). BUT that being said: RAC2 ammo comes in at 240 damage per ton, whereas UAC2 ammo has only 150 damage per ton. This is a pretty huge difference, and taking the two builds as they are, comes out to a total potential damage of 1920 for the RAC2s, and a total potential damage of 1275 for the UAC2s (including the extra half-ton of ammo in the build as posted). That's a pretty significant difference.
    BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! The UAC2s have a greater optimal and maximum range than the RAC2s, at 700/1400 for the UAC2s, and 540/1080 for the RAC2s. This is another fairly large difference, which could significantly affect damage numbers when comparing the performance of the two builds at various distances.

Of course, in the end, the decision of which weapon-type you prefer may come down to simple quality of life. The UAC2s jam randomly and unexpectedly, which could be a big deal for some pilots, who need to be able to rely on their weapons to be there when they expect them to cooperate. But at the same time, the RAC2s have that annoying spin-up time, which affects one's ability to react quickly in a tight spot, and they have their own jam bar to worry about as well.

I'm not trying to tell you which build you should run. I'm just here to give you the numbers. ;) :thumbsup:

Gun Tuv likes this.
  2. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv Well-Known Member

This is a good build, slots into my naughty defensive RAC-deck nicely.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast