DRG-1N "Shenron" (1x ERLLas, 2x AC5, XL300)
5/5,

6 ratings

Thread in 'DRG-1N' started by Solahma, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I caved and bought one of these, and broke 900 damage in its first match with no basics. Struggling with it a bit in CW (just not used to it), but it still tears it up. Started taking it as my second or third drop, since it's such a good cleanup hitter.

2. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

5/5,
    Finally bought my 1N back that was originally my first dragon and mastered back in 2013. Looking at my old stats turns out it was my most played Dragon then. After quirks this new beast fits my playstyle beautifully.

Took it out for a quick first game at 5am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome back, old friend.

3. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I'm not so good at this, so can anyone make a comparison, dakka only, of the the DPS of this vs 3x UAC5 Jager DD, both with weapon modules.

4. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I couldn't tell you the exact DPS (good on both, but this one can't jam), but the JM does have the advantage of higher hardpoints. The only downside with the Dragon is that the ACs fire from a lower point of the body.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Cooldown reduction for AC/5 on the DRG-1N is -67% (-50% from quirk, -12% from modules, -5% from fast fire)(all stack additively, I tested it), for 2 canons that makes a DPS of 18.3 dmg/s.
    If you add the ERLLas (-20% cooldown, assuming you don't use the module)(you'll probably use both AC modules) it makes a DPS of 21.7 dmg/s.

Cooldown reduction for UAC/5 on the JM6-DD is -32% (15 for quirk, 12 from module, 5 from fast fire), for 3 canons that makes a DPS of 13.3 dmg/s.
    With a double rate of fire, it makes 26.6 dmg/s.
    If you add 2 MLas (again, with no module) it makes 16.8 dmg/s in "safe mode" and 30.1 dmg/s in ultra mode.
    But it does not includes the possibility of jam. Each cycle there has a 15% chance the canon will be jammed for 5s. With quirks, modules and fast fire, it makes the average DPS of an UAC only 1.11 times the "safe" DPS (*).
    Which makes 14.8 dmg/s for 3 cannons, 18.3 dmg/s with 2 MLas.

The results are rather intuitive: the UAC Jager is much better at burst dps, as long as it does not jam; on the other hand, the Dragon is much more reliable and has a better DPS on the long run.

(*) if you're interested in the UAC dps maths, I can do it. It's less obvious than it looks.

Motörhead likes this.
  6. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

I am, I was just doing the math in my comparison spreadsheet, but we have different ideas on calculating the 15% chance. I assumed 85% at full double-tap DPS, then 15% at a non-double tap DPS w/ +5 seconds to the cooldown. What formula did you use?

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Close enough.

With:
    n = jam rate percentage
    c = cooldown
    d = damage
    j = jam time

The damage dealt by an "average shot" is (2-n)d.
    (please confirm the UAC only jams on the ultra shot after having shot the regular shot)(if not that's a real mess)

The "average cooldown" time is c + nj.

=>
    dps = (2-n)d / (c + nj)
    = (2-0.15)*5 / (1.13 + 5*0.15)
    = 4.92 dmg/s

(1.13 is the cooldown with quirk, module and fast fire)

edit:
    damage dealt by an average shot is:
    "85% at full double-tap DPS" => 2d(1-n)
    plus "15% at a non-double tap DPS" => nd

dmg = 2d(1-n) + nd = 2d - 2nd + nd = 2d - nd = (2-n)d

average cooldown is:
    "85% at full double-tap DPS", at standard cooldown => (1-n)c
    plus "15% at a non-double tap DPS w/ +5 seconds" => n(c+j)

cooldown = (1-n)c + n(c+j) = c - nc + nc + nj = c + nj

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

I consistently do higher damage a match on my dragon than on my chainsaw DD.

This could be because of jams but I believe a good deal of it has to do with mobility and positioning.

The ERL helps a lot at ranged as well though I run the range module as I don't see a reason to ever spam it with the AC5's. That could change at a later time though.

9. Solahma

Solahma Star Lord

yeah, there are many factors in play here. One reason that wasn't mentioned: Better XL hitboxes than a Jager. The combination of the speed+hitboxes makes the Dragon a great skirmisher and it's easier to shield for damage with the left arm. The Jager is at the mercy of the enemy's aim because those side torsos are so damned easy to hit!

10. Fherot

Fherot Benefactor

As a die hard Dragon pilot since waaaay before hotbox fixes and quirks I feel the the dragon has always been the king of IS skirmishing.

It's an excellent platform for bringing long-mid range fire power when needed asap and staying on target.

This new 1N is the dragon I've always wanted and I don't know why I waited so long to get it.

While the Jager might have more raw firepower on target (as any Jager should) it has to hang back and be weary all the time playing the role of fire support.

The dragon can be where ever you need it with that fire power ready to peel armor.

11. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I use the DD in CW because I lack the dragon, usually it's great, I just broke the last gen with UAC5 that never Jammed. For defending since you can frontload all armor it actually can tank a lot, and being able too peek is a big bonus.

But from those numbers seems the dragon is much more constant (and saves 5T) and I see it much better for an offensive push, where you can't rely on Jams and can't go find a cover as easily. The DD might be better at def, because you can peek and unleash 27dps @ 690 meters.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  12. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

I would agree with that...when I push in my 1N, I can easily do 1,000 damage in an incredibly short time. The thing is an absolute beast at putting out some hate. I tend to do worse when I defend with it, partially because I can't peek-a-boo fire over hills like I could with a JM or Raven

Motörhead likes this.
  13. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Easily? In a DRG-1N if you got 1,000 easily you should be killing most of their team its damage is so focused. I get 1,000+'s but not easily as theres a slight ammo issue. ;)

I'll give the JM6-DD a try and compare them but I've had terrible jamming luck in the past. Are you running the 2 ML support @fx8230 or w/o?

14. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

I used to run them, but I removed them and just went for 300 bullets, as I'm almost always running out of bullets in CW.

Do bring them in normal games, the DPS adds up there. (even tho for 1200+ games you're better off with dakka only here, too, doing more then 300 damage with 2 ML isn't easy on a Jager).

And yes, you do need luck with them, or some mates with the same build :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  15. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Well, I do run the 270 ammo version :p So if I hit with every one of those shots, it could run up to 2700 damage! ;) That said, my aim will NEVER be that good :p

16. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

make it 1350 :D

17. Durandal

Durandal Min-Max Maniac

Derp...yeah. I'm tired and at work heh

18. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Sort of my point - you only need to fire a bit at outside optimal or miss a bit and you're relying on the ERLL to get 1,000. ;)

Admittedly, my usual problem is all the enemies dying in non CW matches....

19. Remarius

Remarius Star Lord

Something like this?

20. Motörhead

Motörhead Benefactor

Yeah, I do run 2 back armor on CW. and put only 1 T of ammo in the 1 UAC arm, because when I'm gonna shield from LRMs or back off, that can be blown off, even if I try to tank with CT if possible, 82 armor is quite decent.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast