CTF-3D The Nasty Cat (2x LBX10, 4x MLas, XL320) + V2
5/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'CTF-3D' started by UntamedZer0, Mar 10, 2013.

1. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

First up, the Nasty Cat - Room Sweeper

Second, it's direct fire version

This build is built around being a quick heavy brawler and hard hitting hit and run 'mech.

Something about this build that needs mentioning is a proper weapon grouping for these builds. The hard points allow for the same weapon load outs to be mounted in the torso as the arms. Thus you group your 2 arm lasers together and your arm cannon alone. Repeat this grouping for the torso. This allows you greater versatility in lining up your shots and targets. It becomes quick and easy to fire at 2 targets rapidly with the same payload or to rapidly alternate fire and groups on a single target to manage heat. I find alternating between the cannons and arm/torso laser groups helps manage heat while keeping dps up. This lets you aim everything with your arms in an orbit and then spin your torso into line for the torso weapons and alternate. This arm/torso alternation movement also acts as a built in damage roll if piloted properly.

The Room Sweeper version was the first and my favorite. It is very effective against lights and most everything else. Meant to lead with it's lasers first and cannons later in rapid secession while on the move it's high crit makes it an excellent member of any quick heavy lance. The spread of the LB10Xs take some of the careful aim time out of your shots allowing you to be a bit more rapid with your torso movements in combat.

The direct fire version sacrifices heat efficiency for direct fire AC10s and that is the only change.

The jump jets in this build are meant more for terrain navigation and rapid turns and maneuvering during brawls. 70 tons moving in fast over otherwise impassible terrain, landings a rapid barrage of alphas and leaping away not to be followed by it's prey is a force against most non-light/fast mechs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

This is a fantastic build Zero. Having run the identical loadout along side you proved just how deadly this 'Mech can be. My CTF-3D was another casualty of my six year old's sale rampage awhile ago but it is definately on my list for re-procurement. I would recommend this build to anyone who enjoys being a force of destruction in the brawl. Thanks for posting.

Myth.:cool:

3. Kiryn

Kiryn New Member

I run a similar build, but use a 300xl and more heat sinks. Tourmaline has forced me to be more heat efficient.

4. UntamedZer0

UntamedZer0 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums! Glad to see someone else running a 3D build that isn't a pop tart. I prefer the dual LB10X build but I like getting close and personal.

5. TheStrider

TheStrider New Member

I've been trying this of late:

CTF-3D

The pop-tart build I started with just isn't my style, and I wasn't overly good with it. So I built this for getting through Elite skills. I've been seeing some decent success with this one. Two weapon groups, one for the two arm LL, one for the torso mounted ones.

6. ScatterBrain888

ScatterBrain888 Active Member

Here is my current variant:

CTF-3D

7. SabbatH

SabbatH Junior Member

I checked UntamedZer0 "Nasty Cats". The first version I did not like. Maybe because I am not a fan of LB 10-X. The second one with 2 x AC/10 is really awsome ! In my CTF-3D I have an XL 300 and 2 JJ... so I use the extra space for ammo (= 90).

Really good build !

8. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

Only just started playing this build a couple days ago. Man is it fun!

Like Sabbath, I only have a 300XL atm so been using that.

Also, when I went to build it I found I only had one LBX. Since I'm saving for something and didn't want to splash out on a second, I paired it with a regular AC10. So far, I kinda like the combination. Whether I'll stick with it when I get the spare C-bills to get a second LBX, I don't know. But at the moment, it's kinda nice to know there's a solid 10-damage slug hitting one location in the middle of the LBX spray.

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

This build is nasty! Full stars

Blagg Zear

10. Severity

Severity Junior Member

I have been running around with the initial config, those LB10-X's are absolutely devastating and incredibly fun on this chassis with all the jump maneuverability. 5/5 stars!

11. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I tried double LBX on the Ilya, but on paper I like your version better. There's probably room for improvement, providing additional speed as well as added protection in the form of AMS.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  12. Strychnine

Strychnine Active Member

Some Nasty Cat action! Finally find someone around 3.45 in.

13. Roosterfish

Roosterfish Well-Known Member

I've just gotten into Cataphracts and this was the build I mastered my 3D with.

Ran mine with a 300XL with AMS cause I had the 300XL and didn't want to buy the larger engine for a new mech I wasn't sure about just yet.

For me it's a great ambush hunter, light hunter, and really shines in the last half of a match when the opposing team has been opened up some.

Right now I'd rate this one at 4 and 1/2 stars with the option to go to 5 stars when I've more experience using the LBXs. This is really my first foray into ballistics so I'm learning them.

14. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

My personal variation of this build. I call it the "Sandpaper". It fits my play style as I love to check for weak spots on the enemy, especially the legs.

At long range, the spread plasters the entire enemy mech with rounds, making it easy to identify underarmored areas. Which can then be focused easily using the lasers later.

15. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

My STD275 version:

Sacrifices a lot of jumpjet/poptarting and speed of course, but it's great for people who prefer their survivability

16. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Mmmmmm. Jumpy Cannons! I keep mine as fast as I can and cooler. Gotta keep those lasers firing to open up some armor for the Shotguns!

Edit: NEEEEDED more ammo. 60 rounds just didn't cut it.

17. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

I've started running STD engine in this recently. I run out of ammo frequently enough to refuse to compromise on ammo so it's a little down on heatsinks and speed. But your primary source of damage comes from the cool running LBXs anyway.

18. MinusMaximus

MinusMaximus New Member

heres my versions i didnt see these particular variants in the list

or if u want to trade ammo/range for firepower

both have similar performance though i slightly favor the first one because of the increased firepower

i also tried a bit of this but it seems the weakest of them all

19. Omniknight

Omniknight New Member

Awesome build, OP. I made some tweaks to maximize its potential, in my opinion, without changing its core.

Four JJs seems like overkill and I tend to be fine with just one. I also find 60 LB 10-X shots to be too little much of the time. Finally, with an XL I think getting the biggest one for the mech frame is the way to go. Therefore, I dropped 3 JJs and the XL 320 for an XL 340, and a choice of +15 LB 10-X ammo, +1 DHS, or +1 JJ.

Lose:
    • XL 320
    • 3 JJs
    Gain:
    • XL 340 (+5.1 kph w/ speed tweak)
    • +15 LB 10-X ammo OR +1 DHS OR +1 JJ
    http://imgur.com/SfT6ZGe
    http://imgur.com/lFGdqSl
    http://imgur.com/8jCtN4U

20. MinusMaximus

MinusMaximus New Member

gonna try that omniknight coz i agree if u want xl u should always try to get the fastest

but i want to add: instead of more ammo or dhs u can also change 1 lbx for 1 ac10

i do think it is painful to give up on ams though, but i will try and see

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast