CTF-3D Gauss-a-Phract (2x Gauss, 4x MLas, STD225)
4/5,

1 rating

Thread in 'CTF-3D' started by Agent1190, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Agent1190

Agent1190 New Member

Been playing this for a long time and finally decided to post this. I haven't seen any dual-gauss phracts yet, so I played with the idea. I first tried with a CTF-4X (arm-mounted) but didn't like the convergence. The 3D had ballistics in the right torso and arm which are closer together. When stable, they tend to converge better and at shorter ranges. It's very easy to run up 400-800 damage every round with patience and proper play.

I tried this with an AC/20 and AC/10 combo. Similar results, but they tend to get out of sync because of cool-down.

I run 3 fire groups:
    1. 4x Medium Lasers
    2. 2x Gauss
    3. Right Arm Gauss (for ranged shots)

This Mech is SLOW, even for a Heavy. It's fast enough to cover an Atlas, but you won't hit the front lines first (especially in Alpine). Also, there's no AMS, so use cover and team mates regularly. You are NOT Rambo in this Mech. Also, the Ballistic mounts hang fairly low on the arm and torso, so popping over the ridge on Frozen City will expose all of your Mech.

Feedback is welcome. GL and HF!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Mythweaver

Mythweaver Advanced Member

I was killed by one of these recently. It was really quite impressive, I was moving 150+ KPH in a Jenner and this person hit me twice; he/she didn't need a third shot. I'm not sure of who this person was, I don't keep track of that kind of thing, but props to anyone that can do that at 300+ meters.

Mythweaver.:sad:

3. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

There are some extremely competent snipers. I've been picked off a couple of times myself. :ph34r:

4. Agent1190

Agent1190 New Member

You get really good at judging your shots... until you play something with a different Ballistic weapon, then you have a round or 2 shooting dirt!

5. Marec

Marec Well-Known Member

I was coming up with a similar build when I played with Mechlab recently - I was looking for ways to build something like 5 PPCs into a Cat. Then I saw there was already a build with this loadout.
    However, my build is slightly different. I'm not sure if it is wise to put a Guass next to an XL engine, but it really doesn't matter much which of both goes, you're done either way. The engine is stock in this mech, so it's cheap to build, too.

6. Rusty Knuckle

Rusty Knuckle New Member

didn't find my niche in MWO till i found this build. have just been wrecking people with it.

7. NamesAreStupid

NamesAreStupid Active Member

Arm lock, yay or nay?

8. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

Tab it when you are using the gauss for pinpoint, reasonably stationary, sniping. Then let it go after.

9. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

How I'd run it. Personally, if I want two Gauss, I run a Jager for it's higher weapon mounts. However, if you give up some armor in your legs and your shield arm (only one MLas) You can fit more ammo and an XL295. I'd rather give myself some speed and be vulnerable with an XL than be a sitting duck with a 225.

Gives much better speed and only gives up minimal targets. Also, I moved some of the Gauss ammo to the weapon points to pad against weapon explosion.

10. Feylan

Feylan New Member

Hi Guys,

Came up with a build for my next target mech, the CTF-3D. (Currently on a CTF-1X, going for elite on the Cataphracts)

As you can see, it's got an excellent alpha-strike and the heat sinks for decent DPS too. A single heatsink can be swapped out for a jump jet for increased maneuverability without sacrificing too much sustained fire capability, but I probably wouldn't do it.

The thing I like most about this build is that it packs in a great punch without sacrificing too much speed or armour. It's fast enough to run from what it can't outgun and makes a great flanker, but it can still take an alpha strike or two from an Atlas and survive.

(Just in case smurfy's not working for you, the original can be found here: CTF-3D)

11. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

30 Bullets for 2x Gauss.Rifles? Way too low Ammo. You have 15 Snipe.shots and then you are empty. Try this one:

12. Feylan

Feylan New Member

Thanks for the feedback!

You're right, 30 is probably too low but I'd rather give up sustained fire than speed or firepower. How about this?

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

ok, but recommend you to put the Gauss.Ammo into the Torso, as they don't explode and can work as crit.padder and lower the Armor on the left Arm (with the single MLas) to max out Torso.Armor.

14. Feylan

Feylan New Member

Okay, finalised design:

15. e92

e92 Benefactor

This build needs serious attention!

I've been playing a nearly identical build in my 3D since I got it. It is surprisingly my favourite 'phract to pilot so far and a fantastic all-arounder. I get bigger top-end damage numbers in the Ilya or the 4X, but dual gauss on a mech that isn't half crippled like the other builds is so much fun!

The thing about dual-gauss and this build is that it can achieve a fantastic 9.36 sustained dps but it takes a fair bit of timing and steady aiming to do. I am still learning to do this, but in the hands of a better pilot this would be devastating at all ranges.

Pros:
    - 4 MLas make it competent at close range or when out of ammo
    - Jump jets!
    - High amount of armor
    - A side to twist with to protect the fragile gauss
    - Cataphract body/stance is less of a target than jagers/catapults (imo)

Cons:
    - Monkey arms makes it hard to peak
    - Arm lock is highly recommended due to the split arm/torso gauss hardpoints
    - Slower aim and less twist/pitch range on the torso gauss

I used the XL280 that the 3D came with. The gauss ammo in the head is moved to the torso to pad the XL vulnerability. I put the extra tonnage into armor due to my playstyle. I'm not a very passive sniper and tend to engage in fights and use the MLas quite a bit.

If I had to squeeze more ammo in, I'd put an XL255 in that a lot of people playing cataphracts will have for their 4X. Dropping the leg armor down to 35 will give you two more tons of ammo. The 255 with speed tweak gives the same speed as the 280 without and is adequately quick enough. The extra ammo can either go into stacking the left torso, or into the legs to make up for the reduced armor. [size=8pt][Smurfy Link][size=10pt][size=8pt]

16. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

Its a build for long game. You must be patient like that :

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  17. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I'd probably get at least 1 JJ in there. While poptarting is mostly a thing of the past, it still provides a lot of mobility. I run it with 6t and an XL295. the 4ML and left arm in general are cut for heat efficiency and tonnage.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  18. Evvo

Evvo Well-Known Member

4/5,
    Build: https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=89e43441_CTF-3D
    Interesting versatile choice. I believe it overall does not perform as well as other builds but you do have the ability to engage at long ranges with the GR. Found JJ's to be useful on it and went XL285. Gauss is viable for poptarting also and you can still enter the close range fight with this setup. DPS is traded for versatility
    Highest damage played: 860

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast