CTF-3D Firecracker (2x PPC, 2x LLas, 1x JJ, STD275) [w/ video + commentary]

Thread in 'CTF-3D' started by Soy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

Video available in 1080p

Ok, so this is it. The build I've been working on since July.

You guys know I don't mess around (for the most part); in preparation of the ghost heat changes and various crackdowns on boats/front loaded/pinpoint loadouts, this is what I was developing and mastering over the late summer.

But, lets get one thing straight - Firecracker is not a top-tier competitive build. At least, not in my eyes. However, the good news it's in a strong area just below top, making it a great example of an up-to-snuff and currently meta-viable pubstar build which is a blast to play if you like big damage, kill shots, headshots, poptarting, tanking shots from baddies, or mixing up your ranges and maneuvers.

Also, concerning the vid showcase - this is my first time ever doing commentary on anything. So, yeah. I hope it gives a little insight into the way I approach the build from a playstyle standpoint, and maybe give a little bit of insight into various things (like tactics). ;)

Oh and one more thing about the vid... the language is NSFW, cuz I get mad at rocks at one point. I also have more footage of this build in action for an upcoming installment of Sauce! :rofl: :rolleyes:

Oh, and one more thing... I've seen a lot of similar builds to this lately popping up, which all differ in slight ways but the loadouts are the same. That's great. But the issue with most of them is that they try and skate by on an XL engine - this is a bad idea, for various reasons I would explain if prodded. Suffice to say, those XL builds are better suited for very specific environments like, say, a solo tourny, where the risk vs reward dictates the necessity of extra speed to reach critical positions in matches. Otherwise, the survivability of this mech is untouched by other forms of this build.

Build is of course subject to change, but at the moment there is little leeway in terms of various tweaks. The only tweak I could even make a slight case for is removing one DHS to shore up a tiny bit more armor in legs, arms, and possibly the 2 missing from head (for the paranoid-inclined pilot).
    :D

Bottom line is if you like a build that is still viable against current meta power without pidgeonholing yourself into a boat or one-dimensional loadout, this is a pretty fun and strong 3D variant to have fun in. Comments, concerns, and criticism are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=1828.0

basically my version, I'm surprised you used a STD engine in this mech. You seem to be doing fine with it; so keep up the good work.

3. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

Thanks! :cool:

The bit about the STD is explained in the OP. I can go into more details for you, if you'd like..? :)

4. The Verge

I got the explanation, I was just surprised. I personally would run a STD 280, but that's because I don't have a 275 available ATM. If you want to explain more about your engine choice, by all means go.

5. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

Ok, cool, here goes:

Believe it or not, 275 was actually an upgrade from what it was originally (270) to get in that last DHS. Originally I fiddled around with an extra JJ, more armor, AMS, even a lone MG, but nothing was really working until I decided to stick in that 18th heat sink. It is what is needed to really maintain a healthy double punch of the LLs, into the PPCs, and so on. There's a really easy to integrate heat table to use in just about any situation, but it really shines at 18 heat sinks. I'm really referring to being able to engage Override, fling 2 PPCs at 80% heat, not shut down, and then chain fire the LLs back to back as singles, which will be just enough heat dissipation to override again at 80% as the PPCs come back around off refresh. It's not a tight firing cadence, but that's the point - with the 18th, it's flexible enough to run override as a form of piloting brinksmanship that really pushes out that DPS which you honestly cannot do at such good rhythms with only 17. It's a subtle aspect of the build.

The other thing that is important to me is having a lot of arm armor. I really like to soak lots of damage on my arm cuz it plays into snap shots very well, and being a lord of them with the 3D, I find it raises my survivability rather than hurts it. With some players, they would rather gain survivability via a speed increase through an engine upgrade. We're talking peanuts here at this point, but I will definitely agree that if someone is looking for more speed and less tankage - lower arm armor in this build to squeeze out another ton or so, and upgrade the engine to a 280-290. Just don't expect those LLs to last very long... also, remember folks - needing a 'tiny bit more speed' is really another way of saying 'I'm 5 secs out of position sometimes'. :p

Those might seem like 2 long-winded reasons, but, that's the approach I take when I'm making a 'serious' build, even if the 'seriousness' of it doesn't correlate to top meta. That round shown above isn't a ceiling of the mech, rather just a solid round that showcases different ways of playing it with some good tactical insight to boot, so. I'm sure you cats around here, when you really get a feel for the way it alphas and the rhythms you can fire the combos out with, will find it at least more interesting than the typical 3D lately without being a complete pile of junk.

6. The Verge

And this explanation makes me want to get the STD 275 for that extra DHS, without losing armor.

7. Villz

Villz New Member

good match soy commentating your own games is actually a step i recommend to improve rapidly to newer pilots. Its always interesting to listen to your own thoughts on your own game. The sooner after the game you make the commentary the more accurate it will be to.

Play one game recording. Before launching next rewatch and record an mp3 over it. Rinse repeat. Watch that the next day.

You will be amazed at how much faster you improve. And also some of the small things you do in your own game you didn't realise. Or perhaps a new way of looking at it as opposed to what you thought in the game.

8. DarkLobster

DarkLobster Well-Known Member

Man, I've got to stop using XLs as a crutch to cram more stuff into my mechs.

Your recent 3D builds, Soy, have made me rethink my design strategies. It's amazing what you can do on a Std engine when you think hard about a build and pare it down to the essentials.

Great vid too, very interesting to hear your commentary.

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Nice Game Soy. I love 6:55 - 7:00 and 9:17 - end. :rofl:
    Btw very good build. Voted.

10. Bolththrower

Bolththrower Star Lord

The smurfy link seems to have some problems, as when i click it it only opens a empty smurfy sheet with no mech build in it.

11. The Verge

Actually, some browsers need to refresh the page when they look at these links. I can use Soy's link just fine.

12. Soy

Soy Min-Max Maniac

K, threw up another one with everything correct again. It wasn't messing up for me, but, maybe this will fix w/e was messing up for ppl.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast