Crab Jambalaya - 2AC5+3ML+SRM+LRM+MG= Every Range in one Dish

Thread in 'King Crab' started by Toastygawa, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

I first outfitted my King Crab with a pair of matching +++ AC/20s, but discovered that it was so slow that it was always late to the skirmish. I wanted that beast front and center more quickly, but I found another way. This build allows the Crab to deliver damage and pressure at every practical engagement range. It runs tight on missile ammo for long missions, though.

[​IMG]

**Adjustment: Drop some armor to pick up another ton of LRM ammo, especially during long missions. Another option is to go with 3x LRM5s instead of the LRM15, and go with one SRM6, especially ++ or +++ gear. Doing so buys you 2 more tons to allocate as you see fit.
    Another good option: Drop the MGs and replace them with 4x SL and get 2 tons for HS or Ammo.

Pros: Far more survivable than stock, 289 dmg at medium range.
    Cons: No shield arm, no JJ, runs a bit hot, eats LRM ammo fast. ***Oh, and do NOT melee attack a mech that you want to salvage. By the time it's close enough, those MGs crit everything and shred components.

This build shown using standard equipment. Using + or ++ is a great idea, as is a Defense Gyro.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

If I can suggest a minor adjustment, you've got your missile ammo in the opposite torso from the launchers. Losing either torso means you lose the missiles. And 2 tons of MG ammo is way more than you need. Swap one of those for another ton of LRM or SRM ammo.

Toastygawa likes this.
  3. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

Good points! Practicality wins over balanced-looking presentation.

4. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

Revised and shown with ++ and +++ gear from Campaign. Upgraded 2 SLs keep the same damage output as 4MGs but with no ammo to manage. Medium range damage with this loadout is 353+Stab, if I calculated well (not including SLs, since bringing them to bear along with the LRMs isn't realistic... that's where Multi-Target comes in).

[​IMG]