Could use some input about IM

Thread in 'Cataphract' started by bart2o, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

Could anyone describe what is IM all about?

Is it a brawler, or more support gunner type variant? I can see similar builds to Jagermech (dual gauss, 3xUAC/5 2xML, etc), but I heard that CTF is more sturdy and therefore can engage in brawling rather than peeking over ridges.

There's the 50% price thing going on right now and I can't decide whether i want a Firebrand or Ilya Muro. I haven't tried Cataphract yet but i've always wanted to. And i'm most definitely a Jager guy. To be perfectly honest I'd buy both, but i've already dropped too much cash on the game this month.

2. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

It's quite similar to a Jager, with 5 more tons to work with at the price of significantly less advantageous ballistic mounts. Of course, a large portion of those 5 tons goes into armor and internal HP, and poorer engine scaling.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

The main difference you'll notice between the Jager and the CTF is the height of the hardpoints - something you need to be used to, at first you'll shoot a lot of rock. You can't peak over a ridge and fire your ACs, you need to expose yourself (the ST energy hardpoints are pretty highly mounted though).
    On the other hand, I find the CTF more durable than the fragile Jagermech. And the little tonnage difference makes it easier to mount heavy weapon systems.
    Therefore, you'll most of the time pilot a Cataphract at closer range than a Jager - it does not make it a brawler though.

I'd personally chose the the Muromets over the Firebrand, because it provides variety in the Cataphract's gameplay and allows unique builds, more than the Firebrand does of the Jager (except if, as a Jager guy, you feel very inspired by the arm mounted enerrgy hardpoints).

PS: I'm a Cataphract guy, so maybe biased ;)

4. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am scared of the low mounted hardpoints - bought an Orion recently and my excitement quickly faded after i discovered that in most circumstances i can't even fire most of my weaponry, or I have to expose my whole mech to enemy fire (which ends in side torsos going down suprisingly often). Small differences in elevation often making enough cover for an enemy made me extremely frustrated. Sold the mech after doing basic efficiencies.

I eventually took the Firebrand. Now that i've played a few rounds I regret the decision. It's not really that different from other Jagers, and I'm still curious about the CTF. 3D is next in queue ;)

Thanks for the replies.

5. tfun90

tfun90 Advanced Member

You could get a darn good feel for the IM by playing a CTF-3D without JJ's and/or the CTF-4X. I have an IM, and never found it particularly dominant ever since UAC jam rate was upped to 20%. I maintain that I'd rather run any multi- small caliber AC+laser boat on a JM6-S. Poke the ACs over cover at range, quad MLas if you ever bring your hipguns to bare.

As for the FB, I'd run it as Gauss/MLas in arms, or 2PPC/2AC5 in arms. It's only a 65 tonner, you cant expect dominance in weight/meta unrestricted pub drops.

6. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

As said by others already - the IM and the FB are worth the money because of unique hardpoints. The other heroes well.. Maybe YLW and Flame for mounting a BFG. Ow and Jester for Poptarding. The rest: you pay your money rather for the 30% Bonus.

7. Lokesh

Lokesh Active Member

I don't play the jager and am a phract-lover. However, I was avoiding the IM because it does seem so similar to the 4X and 3D. The current sale finally pushed me over the edge and I have to say I really like it. It is not God-awful slow like the 4X and you can mount paired ballistics on the same reticle (I dislike identical weapons mounted on the torso/arms when a mech has fully articulated arms), unlike the 3D. Your concerns about low hard points is valid, I generally keep sniping weapons out of the arms.

The 3D is still the "better" mech, but now I have something a little different that will let me grind cbills in my favorite chasis. I am happy with the purchase.

8. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

IM's biggest advantage is the larger Ballistics. That's it.

Dual AC/5s w/ AC/20, Triple LBX or Triple AC/10.

It's a great chassis with the Hero rewards boost, but, the only reason to buy it over the other CTF chassis is the ability to carry three 10 caliber Autocannons or an AC/20 w/ two smaller caliber Autocannons. Or, the Dual Guass with much more ammo than a Jager can carry.

Personally, I love the mech. You can do most of what a CTF-4X can do with a larger engine or many 3D loadouts without JJ. It's a great chassis to run with many different loadouts. However, it's an Autocannoner's mech for sure.

Chatt.

9. TheDevilsIncarnate

TheDevilsIncarnate Advanced Member

I just bought mine and oh my do I love it. Even with the nerf the three UAC's shred my opponents to bits

10. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

Bought mine the last day and it's awesome. 3xUAC/5 is better on JM, but it's still one hell of a build on Ilya!

11. Sassafras

Sassafras MechSpecs Addict

I don't know what it's official role name would be, but I consider it a direct fire support mech. Basically, stick with with the assaults, and when they engage, you hang back and rip apart anything you see.

As for unique builds, people have already mentioned the 3 big guns type builds, but it is also the only mech that can mount 3x AC5 and 2x LLas effectively, which is by far my favorite build on any chassis in the game. The high mounted LLas lets you hit anything you see at decent range, and once the brawl has started you tear everything apart with a constant stream from the AC5s.

12. knightsljx

knightsljx Well-Known Member

Ilya can run a lot of different ballistic build including the meta 2xPPC/2xAC5 build. It also runs the dual AC10 better than the CTF-3D due to the projectile convergence.

The 3x AC5 build is great. You can choose between a 15 point damage volley or a continuous stream of fire for suppression. It's like running dual AC2 but more damage and less heat.

So to answer the original question, I think it works best as a direct fire support mech rather than brawler. IMO, a brawler should pack both ballistics and missiles to be really effective.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast