Controllers / Joysticks

Thread in 'Hardware / Gaming Gear' started by Jaxx the Elder, Jan 3, 2015.

1. anonymized1

anonymized1 Dispossessed

I actually had some success using CH Pedals when I was having issues with my left hand a while back. I had steering, throttle and jumpjets slaved to it. It took a bit of getting used to, but it was fun. I was still able to play which helped in dealing with the pain of recovery... I also used a Saitek evo joystick/mouse combo for a while... I actually liked that more than the keyboard.
    Anyway, Cheers

2. Jaxx the Elder

Jaxx the Elder Star Lord

Hmm, I may tap friends list and see who has pedals I could have a try with - might be sensible path to experiment anyway given Star Citizen sometime in the future. I had a tendon split and re-attached two weeks ago and bootlaces are still an uphill struggle :p

Cheers for the input

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Well, after reading many many reviews and also regarding the fact that many available sticks are not fully functional in Win8.1/10, i think at the moment the Joystick Control System with THE very best price-performance-ratio right now is this one - the X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.:

[​IMG]

Official Site: http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x55.html

I might get this one when Star Citizen launches officially.

@Michael What Control System do you use/recommend for Star Citizen? :)

4. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

@Blagg Zear that is the stick I'm actually using for Star Citizen. There is much work that needs to be done to fine tune it but the community over there has really come together to make a good set of templates.

Blagg Zear likes this.
  5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

6. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Unfortunately, the Rogue Gamegear Mek-Fu is unheard of since 2013. There's nothing about the company overall since then. :(

7. Jaxx the Elder

Jaxx the Elder Star Lord

@users of joysticks and controllers....

Here's a quite possibly dumb question for you.....how do you anchor those to your desk? When in the distant past I used a joystick (on the original mechwarrior PC games no less), I seem to remember that joystick bases tipping over in the heat of combat led to me actually holding the base in one hand which is silly.......

8. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

First, start with a solid, wood desk. None of that plastic top, metal legs CRAP...
    Second, make sure your stick has good rubber feet, and enough weight to be able to keep the base on the desk.

Ex like the X-55 or an X-52 are not light weight toys like a Logitech set. They are housed in Aluminium and Steel, and weigh and feel like the real thing.

9. Jaxx the Elder

Jaxx the Elder Star Lord

So, lured out of his lair by wine and food, I quizzed my flight sim obsessed friend about controls yesterday

A certain amount of memory damage took place as the evening wore on (*cough* sloe gin *cough*) so I may have scrambled some of this.....

His take on the saitek kit is that is good and typically £70 - £80 cheaper than the Thrustmaster set up, but the drawback is the build quality. Apparently among the flight sim geeks he hangs out with its well known to have issues with buttons not working etc when its new, so I reckon if you do go that route then make sure its from somewhere you can return it easily if you find its duff

The Thrustmaster Warthog is his set of choice, but I have to caution that a) he has somewhat more money than is polite and b) his flight sim set up which includes pedals and a chair and special stand for the control gear, and much else beside costs something in the region of £3k new.........

When I asked him the question about stability that Vergere answered he sniffily replied that of course you have a purpose designed stand for them so its not an issue.......my revenge was waking him this morning at 7am to go out and walk the dogs with me as we all know that is a great hangover cure......:D:D:D

Happy new year all and BTW what's happened to mechlab? Getting 503 error on it and all the links to it etc

The Verge and PyckenZot like this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast