CN9-AH "Take on me" (1x AC20, 3x SRM2, AMS, XL255)

Thread in 'CN9-AH' started by Excalibaard, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

Variant on the SRM4+AC20 combo. Not strictly better, but you have more defense and you could have more ammo (so more potential damage if the match doesn't end too soon). SRM2sare like a tiny SRM6+A with cooldown modules galore, but you can also chainfire them like a high DPS close-range AC2. shouldbring some fun screenshakes.

Because you're firing SRM2s almost constantly, a DHS could be nice.

EDIT: New ammo values:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. bart2o

bart2o Well-Known Member

AC20, 3xSRM2, STD. Nuff said.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Jagger225

Jagger225 New Member

With the standard version, I'd run with another ton of SRM ammo, less one ton of AC20 ammo, but that's probably play preference.

I'd also put an ammo in the head...even though 10 is pretty light in the head. One ac20 shot and you're out anyway. :)

I like the OP's idea of SRM2s. I'll have to try a version of this out!

4. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You're not.
    Well, at least I wasn't, or I died stupidly when I tried. With an AC/20 centurion you want to BOOM and quickly present your shield arm. The SRM2s need a different playstyle, with more consistent fire on the target. On the end you have two weapon systems sending you mixed messages about how to behave...

Actually I haven't dropped with this Centurion since I made this observation, but as I choose the AC/20 as my main weapon I modified my build to pack a high missile alpha (to be combined with the AC shot) instead of DPS.

But your ammo amounts (damn, I use 5 tons of AC/20!) make me wonder: do you consider the SRM2s the primary weapon?

5. Excalibaard

High alpha is in my opinion a better build, but I still thought it fun to share a more 'mixed approach'. It's like an AC20+2AC2 banshee. Not exactly meta, but still fun to shake your enemies and suddenly BOOOOOMM!!! your AC20 fires. I use 4 tons/AC20 in most mechs. I'd probably consider going for 3 tons instead, because as you said, you want to use a shield arm. But, that's not really possible with constantly aiming at the target, thus you'll lose your cannon sooner than you can use all the ammo.

6. epikt

epikt Benefactor

You only use the shield arm while the AC is reloading, but as soon as it's ready you twist and shoot (sorry about that, I had the song in mind) so it does not reduce your rate of AC fire.
    Beware it's a 100% ammo dependant build, you need a large amount. Supposing I'll pilot it in a similar way than the YLW, I'll ran out of 4 tons most of the games (assuming I don't die soon of course). It might be OK if you have lasers as back up (but at the end I loaded a 5th ton on my YLW) but on the AH you don't want to run out.

There is one more thing though: SRM pack more dmg per ton of ammo than the AC (215 for SRMs, 140 for AC/20), but that's your call if you think you can make that higher damage more efficient than a precise AC shot.

7. Excalibaard

That's what I meant to point out, you cant use the shield arm to twist and shoot as you're almost constantly facing the enemy already anyway with the stream of SRM2s.

I think we're kinda talking past each other. This is not by any means a competitively aimed build, or one designed to be ultra effective. This build is supposed to generate lots of screenshake up close, while still using the pinpoint AC20 hurts. Instead of using the shield arm, I'm using screenshake to 'hide' my AC20. That's less effective than a piece of metal, so I mount less ammo for the AC20, because I think I'll lose it much sooner than on a STD engine YLW. Then, the tonnage is put into SRM ammo (because they're kinda your screenshaking tool) and not being slowed down to a crawl.

That's also why I compared it to a AC20+2xAC2 banshee, because that basically has the same playstyle, but a bit more armor to make it work.

8. epikt

epikt Benefactor

It look at it from a totally different angle: for me the fast rate of fire of the SRMs is useless because your evading manoeuvres synchronize them with the AC anyway.

But I see what you mean. I never had great success with those AC/2+AC/20 combos, I guess it's normal I haven't with that one too. I found shaking the enemy didn't prevent them to destroy my XL engine. Imho you only try to disarm a Centurion if it's mounting a standard engine, if it's mounting an XL (and with this weaponry it obviously is) it's easier to go for the kill.

It draws me to a conclusion I think both of us could agree on: if you can make it work with SRMs as your primary weapon, this build might worth it. And indeed in this case I would prioritize SRM ammo over AC.
    On the other hand, if the AC/20 is meant to be your primary weapon, better go for an higher SRM strike (and who cares about the RoF, it's limited by the AC anyway) and redistribute the ammo.

Excalibaard likes this.
  9. enileph

enileph Star Lord

It will be fine with ammo on the head.
    If you got a crit on the head you are dead anyways. There is no pilot to worry abour, the meat is just a useless piece of shit.
    That, and the head of CN9 is really hard to hit.

Oh, love your Glitterboy.
    I missed my Rift playing days, also nightbanes, that is lovely.
    Oh and those ultra munchkin dealings with 200+ attacks and what not (Battlefury blade, certain multi hand+attack Palladium Fantasy species, permanent doublespeed ward, certain special martial arts bonus, etc).

10. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

I used a slight variant to get my first 1000 damage game last night. Since I was down to 1 round of AC ammo at the end, the extra ammo was definitely needed.

11. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast