CN9-A TataWooof (2x LRM10+A, 2x MLas, AC2, XL255)

Thread in 'CN9-A' started by epikt, Jan 29, 2014.

1. epikt

epikt Benefactor

It's the CN9-A I'm playing right now.
    Mid/long range support mech.
    Definitely not meta, but quite fun, and somehow efficient.

Obvious con is the XL engine, as well as "low" armor :wtf:
    But you need that in order to mount this substantial (for a medium) fire power. Ihmo Artemis is a great addition, since most of the time you'll be in direct line of sight while shooting the AC/2.
    Keep low profile as much as you can, and keep the distance.

Non-Artemis variant:
    Since not everybody finds Artemis to be worth the 2 tons and crits, here is the non Artemis build I'd make: FF upgrade, max engine, one more ton of LRM ammo (3t is a bit short) and 1/2t more armor.

STD variant:
    Drops the Artemis (if you want to keep it, use a STD200) and upgrades the armor to free some weight. Definitely more durable, but loses the speed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

I started playing a similar build last week, but, without the Autocannon so I could have a little more speed and 1080 missiles. I am loving the Cent as a missile platform. It's not devastating like a Battlemaster, Stalker or Catapult, but it's so fast that it's just CRAZY fun!

I'll have to try out your build with the AC/2. Prolly be higher damage.

Chatt.

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Actually, it's when I saw your build (1x SRM6+A, 2x LRM10+A, 2x MLas, XL265) that I came with this one.
    At first I had three LRM5s (no Artemis) but I wasn't happy with it and the mech was rusting in the mechbay. I found that two LRM10s+A was a nice LRM system for this mech. I don't have enough ammo to spam, but at least the missile volley packs some punch.

4. Arujinho

Arujinho Junior Member

That one looks supermean! Very rarely seen loadout mixture on a medium 'Mech.

I'll give it a shot.

Btw Screenshot? :D

5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

What happened??? Everybody's going for LRM.Builds for the CN9-A now. Any Reason??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drop Artemis, you don't need it for LRM10.Launchers. Spend the Tonnage for more Speed, more Armor and one additional Heatsink.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  6. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

It could totally just be the rounds that I played, but, I find the tighter Artemis clusters help quite a bit with my scores. Even with LRM10s. It's especially useful with lights. I've legged plenty of Commandos and Ravens with the dual LRM10+A this week. :)

Chatt.

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

I also feel that Artemis helps to tighten the salvo and makes it more efficient.
    But well, a feeling is not a proof and I'd gladly drop the Artemis if it's proven ineffective with LRM10s. Did someone seriously tested the effect of Artemis for LRMs? (I remember Michael did this for SRMs, but no LRMs afaik)

Anyway, here is the non-Artemis build I'd make: FF upgrade, max engine, one more ton of LRM ammo (3t is a bit short) and 1/2t more armor.
    http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=7&l=700d92a32d7f1cab917a71770e38f37416aea255
    (OP updated with it)

Can't speak for the others, but the crappy hit detection, plus the "mid-long range and tight packs" meta, made me quit the SRMs and the zombie hugger.
    And unfortunately, with only one ballistic hardpoint that can't mount an AC/20, the CN9-A is weak without missiles (I tried several AC+laser combinations, it was sometime decent but never outstanding).

8. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Artemis has several effects, the one most talked about is the tighter cluster of missiles and the decreased lockon time. But what isn't talked about as much is the fact they track better on moving mechs. Like lights.

Check the latest breakdown on MWO forums, they talk about it there. But it's always been this way, afaik.

9. Arujinho

Arujinho Junior Member

Hi All!

So, I played the build (xl275 w/o artemis) and it is imho the most fun build for the CN9-A so far (due to the fact, that the zombie unfortunately doesn't cause enough dmg any more).

All in all a great support mech and easily the best loadout for the CN9-A.

@Blagg: I remember you giving me the advice to make the CN9-A a LRM Carrier. Thanks for that ;) :cool:

10. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I like your build and started tinkering around with it a bit. Here are two versions differing from yours, but which are also clearly close relevants.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  11. Xavion

Xavion Junior Member

Well, since PGI just dropped a free Zombie Hugger in everyone's lap and...

1) I refuse to run a stock build
    2) I refuse to spend money on a downgrade (I'm looking at you, FF and Artemis)

...I'm looking for the best/cheapest way to capitalize on this gift horse. This is what I've come up with:

CN9-A

Crit slots are at a premium, and of the two weapons I'd rather short the AC/2 on the ton of ammo that no longer fits from the OP. You can squeeze in a bit more armor and a bit more laser punch with the FF installed... not sure the trade would be worth it if the chassis hadn't been handed to me fully-upgraded.

By the way, anyone else find it amusing that the (first?) mech PGI decided to give away for free, is the single most prominent example of their hitbox/damage allocation issues, specifically outfitted to take advantage of said issues? Made me chuckle, but then again, this freebie gets me to 2/3 on Centurions, so I'm certainly not complaining!

12. Karl TenBrew

Karl TenBrew Star Lord

I've been enjoying this build! As a matter of personal preference, I do better in the non-Artemis...I've been able to unload the LRM ammo early either at large targets or targets who are unwisely standing still. One thing I found was you can utilize the torso better using LRM 10 + 2x LRM 5. The main reason is that with Artemis it's the same weight and only one additional crit slot, which you can afford for a stronger firing cycle. With the non-artemis/max-engine variant, this frees up an additional ton to either max your armor, get even more ammo, or change up your lasers (I prefer to max the armor). Can't zombie, but it's fast, it's fun, and it goes PEWPEW!

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast