BL-7-KNT "Moderation" (1xHPPC, 6xMPL, TC2, STD300) +Alt

Thread in 'BL-7-KNT' started by Excalibaard, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

A single HPPC is hot and devastating enough. There's 6 MPL that deal greatly with close range encounters. TC2 increases the effective range of MPL and HPPC due to beam range and velocity increases. Mount HPPC last so it's in the high hardpoint.

And here's a light engine alternative:

2. rinco

rinco Well-Known Member

Nice tip about the high mounted HPPC. Max damage with minimum exposure.

But still I attract LRMs so I have traded a DHS and some armor for a LAMS...

3. Gun Tuv

Gun Tuv Well-Known Member

Doing something akin with a high mounted HPPC and 6xERMeds. 350LE, max armour, TC1 and all of the DHS. Hot as a freshly baked pie but thems the breaks.

Excalibaard likes this.
  4. Excalibaard

@Gun Tuv

That looks very enjoyable, and not as hot as you describe ^^. I went with MPL for two reasons:
    - Low mounts, so extended range of ERML not as optimal (regular ML would be fine and cool alternative here)
    - MPL have twice the damage-per-tick of regular ML, and are thus much better at opening up enemy components. greatly improved pinpoint at the cost of 1 DHS and a few kph.

However, if I get my hands on another LE350 I'll definitely try it out! I didn't have one at the time so I didn't build a ML variant.

Gun Tuv likes this.
  5. Tactix

Tactix New Member

How would you say this stacks up to the GHP-5P as a laser brawler? I’ve always wanted a BL but never bought one as I figured the weight would make them slow, however, your numbers look pretty phenomenal....

6. Excalibaard

They're very similar, though I think the GHR has higher hardpoints and less survivability quirks. The extra armor is what makes the BLK-KNT great, tanky like a cataphract. The main draw of this build for me is the single high-mounted HPPC which is relatively not that hot. the GHR could do two high mounted HPPCs but will need a much more careful playstyle as a result due to the heat build-up.

TL;DR GHR = faster, BLKKNT = tankier, pick your poison ^^

7. Tactix

Tactix New Member

Question here: The last LE 350 build with reg lasers or your original, less armor, mpl?

8. Excalibaard

I have mine set up with the MPL from the original post and a LE325. As I assume you're a new player, I suggest to try the STD300 build first due to the cheap engine. That gives you time to think about the engines you want to buy later.

LE325: Nice engine for Mauler, Fafnir and heavies of 65t upwards
    LE350: Nice engine for Cyclops, Zeus, Victor, basically any IS assault with a high engine cap. Difficult to use on most heavies under 75t due to the weight.

9. Tactix

Tactix New Member

I've played off and on for years, however, I used a firestarter back when they were great and then I bought a Marauder (IS) pack and played it for the other 150 hrs (but yea, 200hrs isnt much in this game)

10. Excalibaard

Both LE325 or LE350 work in a marauder, but the 325 leaves more tonnages for a stronger loadout. Just make sure that you get an engine that you could use on another mech you plan to buy later just for trying out builds.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast