BJ-1X "St. Helen" (2xERLLas, 6xMLas, XL295)

Thread in 'BJ-1X' started by Cpt Chattahah, May 19, 2014.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

Cannot believe this hasn't been posted!

BEHOLD! My go-to go-getter! For a, BJ1-X, this is all I run anymore.

Six arm mounted lasers for elevated battles, eight total for a few VERY strong alphas out of a 45T mech. Great speed. Near full armor. Great coverage of ranges.

For long engagements, you have a pair of ERLLs that will reach out to 1km respectably and keep INCREDIBLY cool. (70% heat efficiency when mastered) Much more heat efficient than you will ever see a Dual ERLL Raven.
    [​IMG]

Moreover, once you get into the 270m range, you have a 30-point alpha that can tear people up Jenner Style and, again, stay much cooler! (46% heat efficiency when mastered)
    [​IMG]

Pros:
    Great coverage of all ranges
    Highest Weapon Mounts
    Bigger Alpha than most heavies!
    Max Speed
    Full Armor
    Dynamic Heat Efficiency with proper use

Cons:
    XL Engine
    Hot if alphaed too often
    Requires some heat management skill for prolonged fights

Go forth and reap the bounty of the 45-Tonne Monster! :D

Chatt.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Cpt Chattahah

I have found that for most engagements, putting the ERLL on chainfire lets you slip a few more shots in at close range. The 6x MLas only get overly hot with long engagements and with this speed, you should be using cover to your advantage enough that you never find trouble with heat. That allows you more chances to put that full 48-point alpha right into someone's weakest critslot. NOM. :D

My Weapon Groups:

1: ERLL (group)
    2: MLas (group)
    3: MLas (chain)
    5: ERLL (chain)

(I simply use 5 because that is the group assigned to my scroll wheel)

3. epikt

epikt Benefactor

Just back from few test runs.

I don't know how you can find 13 DHS for 6 MLas heat efficient, it overheats with 4 shots on most maps and can't keep with any sustained engagement.
    Long range harassment is great, but close range goes tricky real fast if you don't have cover opportunities to cool off (the speed helps).

Don't get me wrong, I got great results with this mechs. But I find it way less flexible than the LLas + 5 MLas I usually run. Maybe I'll try something "in between".

Anyway:

[​IMG]
    http://i.imgur.com/Iw2Udxv.jpg[/img]

(so I guess it's definitely not a bad build)

BTW I mounted the LLas on the torso in order to have all MLas on the arms. It makes more sense imho.

edit: weapon groups i use:
    1/ MLas linked
    2/ MLas chained
    3/ LLas linked
    4/ and 5/ 3 MLas linked (for better close range flexibility and "over a corner one side only" fire)
    No LLas chained, I only use them for long range sniping so heat is not an issue here, so better not spread the damage.

4. Cpt Chattahah

Very nice, E. The reason I find the heat sufficient is that I reaaaally stick to the Striker/Skirmisher role. I engage primarily from the outskirts. Then, when close quarters draw in, I pop out, give MAYBE one full alpha, one or two strikes from the MLas and by then I'm back into cover. At 117kph, I just run it like a light. Full speed all the time, weaving through mechs and terrain/buildings.

You're still at the same heat efficiency as a JR7-F with 13 DHS and 6x MLas.

5. epikt

epikt Benefactor

My Jenner has 15 DHS and I still find it too hot ;)

edit: I agree, this build (as well as most BJ-1Xs) is meant too be played like a light. That's what makes it so good.

6. Ballimbo

Ballimbo New Member

13 DHS for 6 MLs isn't bad. At least not bad for how Chattahah drives this BJ. I do it with only 12 DHS in my BJ-1DC. :p
    Altough, firing the ERLLs in addition in close ranges could cook it quite a bit. So you got some "waiting" time in between the green broadsides, hm. On the other hand, having something for the range isn't bad either. And the speed makes it up in close quarters.
    So when doing it right, this build should do quite well.

7. epikt

epikt Benefactor

It does.
    But it really requires fire discipline.

8. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

IMHO there is a fine line between 'Heat Management/Fire Discipline' and 'Damage Efficiency'

If you have only 13 DHS for 6 ML and 2 ERLL, you'll have to be on your toes about your heat and sure that takes skill. But what do you get in return? a chance to run away, twist your torso, fine. But go too low in your efficiency and you'll have way too much of these 'moments'. You'll be forced to wait out behind cover and lose a lot of engagement time and thus damage. That's even worse when you are forced into a duel and can't take cover quite as easily, it basically gives the enemy free damage. In that case you're better off swapping 1 ERLL for 5 DHS (or 2 ML for 2 DHS). And lets not forget that those ERLL you use from range will also heat you up, so the effective time to overheat is shorter than the one displayed.
    This is exactly why I changed up my beloved 2LL 6ML XL275 hunchback craziness into something with 2 LL 6 SL, and that one had 16 DHS.

9. Cpt Chattahah

I have found it to work excellently. I ONLY use my ERLL for targets over 300m and ONLY use my MLas for targets under 300m. Heat management has not been much of an issue for me. I just run it like a combo of a RVN-3L and a JR7-F. Two weapons types used exclusively.

10. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

I realized that and if it works for you that's okay. But I think it's not optimally effective as long as you can rely on your team.

You have less heatsinks/speed than either playstyle on its own so when forced into only ERLL sniping or ML bursting by the course of the game, you're at a disadvantage sustained DPS and survivalwise (and the RVN would have ECM too). Thus, when forced to duel against a RVN or JR7, they would win simply because they can get into their optimal range and get more shots off. Even if you use your ERLL first on the JR7, you will just increase your heat before he closes the distance and you're forced into alpha-trading.

The advantage you get is the ability to do something somewhat meaningful (even if it isn't optimized as specialized builds) at all ranges, which is nothing to be scoffed at. However, I see that more as a PUG guarantee for fine damage and target-type coverage in every game, like mounting streaks on a sniper. It might be a difference in playing the game but I think it's better to pick and stay in one role for a match. If I play sniper I'll have others skirmishing on my team, and vice versa. Having 2 roles on your own as sniper and skirmisher will make the positioning for the other role inherently worse once you use the mindset of one.

So yeah, for solo dropping I'd probably recommend this, but groups (4-mans or larger) you're better off taking something else.

11. Cpt Chattahah

I just want to argue with you, S7. :D^_^

Most Dual ERLL RVN-3L builds run 10-11 DHS and most 6x MLas JR7-Fs run 13-14 DHS max. This build has 13, making it at the very least, just as heat efficient in each category.

Obviously, it's not for everyone as you do need to be mindful of the dual role. I agree that it will not perform either role as well as a 3L or JR7F, however, it does (very effectively I might add) give your team both a long-range direct-fire and a close-range dependable-alpha build.

I've run it quite a bit and if using the Hard-Range Rule, you can give almost any 4-man a very effective lance-mate. However, you are absolutely correct for any form of Comp Drop. This is nowhere near Meta enough to ever let Gumpy see. ;)

12. dranozir

dranozir MechSpecs Addict

my build :

Cpt Chattahah likes this.
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast