BJ-1 Zappo's Zippo (1x PPC, 1x AC5, 3x MLas, XL235)

Thread in 'BJ-1' started by Cpt Chattahah, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Cpt Chattahah

Cpt Chattahah Min-Max Maniac

So, Don Zappo got me thinkin' this morning... Why am I so confined by symmetrical builds?? He posted a great mix of ballistic/energy on the arms of a 'Jack. So, I tried it. I loved it! So, the mix/maxing began...

The weapon ranges play in perfectly together. Long range softener, mid-range/brawl ballistic and back-up MLas to keep the pain coming. Very heat efficient when mindful of weapon ranges and quick enough to keep lights at bay if not give chase. Plus, the AC/5 keeps up a steady barrage while the PPC reloads. Dig it.

It can mini-poptart, it can harass, it can cap, it can retreat quick enough to defend. Overall, this morning it has been a solid support - filling multiple roles on the battlefield.

Thanks for getting me to think outside my own box, Don. My newest creation, named in your honor, sir.

Chatt.

[​IMG]
    [img width=700 height=437]http://i.imgur.com/DFGcBCe.jpg[/img]
    Savior kills what, what!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I often get legged in the BJ, so I would trade some arm armor for more leg armor. otherwise, a very good build. 5-5 stars.

3. Cpt Chattahah

Very good point, my friend. I also usually lose my left leg first from the way I circle-strafe. So, I should also move the ammo.

Still, easy things to bounce around. The weapon combo w/ JJ really took me by surprise. I'd never run a medium like this...

4. Cpt Chattahah

This another one of those builds where I would really love to be able to load ammo by the 1/2 ton.

5. Cpt Chattahah

HOORAY FOR THE NEW AGILITY BUFFS TO MEDIUMS! I will get murder videos up as soon as possible.

6. Cpt Chattahah

[​IMG]

I can look BACKWARDS! :D Take that Stalker... Think you had my back? ACTING! :rofl:

7. don Zappo

don Zappo Advanced Member

Wow, nice! I had to fight the urge to make everything symmetric as well. Once I broke that barrier, I started to see all sorts of build possibilities, though! I never even considered this sort of build as the PPC and AC5 add 4 tons to an already tonnage strapped mech. But, of course you can strip out some heat sinks as you aren't running that AC2 anymore! Also, it seems reasonable to drop the JJs down to 2 as it's not as good as brawling as the mech I'm running (1x AC2, 1x ERLL, 3x MLs) so you don't need the extra escape distance. Plus, the AC5 and PPCs do work *very* well together.

I am tempted to run this mech with the XL210 I have lying around. I have that in my BJ-3 poptart (2x PPC, 4x SLs) since it doesn't need the extra speed. This blackjack can stay at range as well so it might work quite well in there. Those two tons can be all sorts of useful things for mech like this: 2 DHS, AMS + JJ, JJs + DHS, or more ammo. All of those seem better than the extra speed to me. I view the XL210 as sort of the minimum engine to make blackjacks viable so it is very tempting to me with the heavier toys that this mech packs.

That being said, I still rate this build 5-5 as it looks top-notch! The rating doesn't reflect the kudos I was given at all. No... not at all! :)

Edit: Of course its still only 1 extra ton as you still need that 10th DHS regardless. So, it's less tempting to switch engines, but a ton is still a ton!

8. don Zappo

But that's where I keep all my precious guns! Fine... maybe... They are so tiny that they hardly ever get blown off anyways.

9. don Zappo

And... taken to its somewhat natural conclusion when you start downgrading engines I present don Zappo's Less Zippy Zippo variant!

I somewhat dislike the fact that the Large Laser and AC5 don't both do pinpoint damage like in the original build, but if you flank you can hold down that LL for the second it needs. It's harder with the slower speed and you can't really stand in the middle of the gunline with this. Subterfuge is definitely necessary! I do love the extra tonnage afforded by this variant, though, as it allows the Blackjack to be filled out.

By the way, why is the Blackjack so fun to pilot? Every time I switch to my Ilya for some c-bill grind I get sad as my ape arms cause all of my shots to make giant dirt clouds as I lumber my non-flying mech from point to point. I need to be freeeeeee!

10. Cpt Chattahah

They've been fun to pilot since they were put into the game. With the new agility tweaks they are back to my favorite mech. I can't get enough of that quick, airborne shot behind you only to keep running away at 93kph. :D

11. Cpt Chattahah

12. don Zappo

Alright, forget farming with my hero mech to get my Atlas... I know what I'm running tonight!

13. don Zappo

Holy cow am I impressed running with this mech. I have been tearing it up better than I ever have. First game did 600 damage with 4 kills, 5 assists. Here's the last game I just ran with it:

[​IMG]

I am don Zappo and I approve of this build.

14. Cpt Chattahah

lol VERY nice! :D

I'm going on vacation all this coming week, but, you can add me in-game (name spelled just like on the forums) and we can rain death in twin Jacks sometime! :D

15. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

same, but my forum name is different from my in-game name. I should update my profile to show that...

16. Cpt Chattahah

4-MAN BLACKJACK DEATHSQUAD!!! :D :D :D

17. don Zappo

I'm wondering how the new PPC update will impact this build. I don't think the +1 heat will be too terrible as it only has one PPC, and I'll just have to stop firing the PPC when close to 90 meters...

On the plus side, there is now a closer sync between the AC5 and the PPC so it will help with pinpoint damage. I definitely look forward to testing this some more. PGI just keeps trying to drive me back to my ER LLas. But... I just love this build so much!

18. Cpt Chattahah

It hurts... It doesn't kill the build, but, you definitely notice. No more hugging for brawls. I switched to an ERLLas, extra DHS and full JJs.

This PPC nerf was ridiculous and uncalled for... Not a happy fella.

19. Cpt Chattahah

Zap and I ran two of this build tonight in a lance. VERY fun. I really want to run a 4-man with this build and alternate to lights every few matches. Speed/DPS havoc! :D

PS: The PPC still works VERY well in this build. Just changes it to a jump sniper at range, then, a 30 alpha skirmisher up close.

20. don Zappo

It sure was a lot of fun and we did show the world what Blackjacks can do! :)

Last night I ran a modified build of this to help with the extra heat burden and provide some more disruption. It was just a simple swap of the AC5 for an AC2 plus two more DHS. I thought it worked as I was doing exceptionally well in it. I had a number of 500+ and 600+ games which is good for a loadout like this. Typical game was about 300-350 damage, though. It seemed to be better at the brawl while giving up a bit of the long range punch. Although, if you don't have to pop-tart you can still train the AC2 on the enemy to get a bump in your normal DPS.

I'm still on the fence as to which build I like better. I may lean towards the AC2 as packing in two more heat sinks is really nice.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast