AWS-8Q "The new Single-Meta" Single Heatsink build (2x HPPC, 5x ML, LFE285)

Thread in 'AWS-8Q' started by Zyrrashijn, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Zyrrashijn

Zyrrashijn New Member

Inspired by the awesome (pun intended) performance of the stock build of this 'mech, I modified one of the designs from Baradul's YT channel to benefit from the new SHS values of patch 6/2018.

Original

My take

It exceeds the original DHS-build by 1% only by sacrificing 3KPH and a TC3. I'm curious, how the efficiency will be post-patch!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Excalibaard likes this.
  2. TucsonKaHN

TucsonKaHN Junior Member

If you nix 3 heat sinks, you can bump the engine up to a Light 300 and fit an I.S. Targeting Computer 1 in the CT. At least, that's how I've been running the build. It isn't bad, but I'm not sure if it's worth the loss of armor and zombie potential.

3. Excalibaard

Excalibaard 101 010 Staff Member

With SHS, more is better IMHO. exchanging one for a TC1 may be a good idea, but wouldn't go further for speed.

TucsonKaHN likes this.
  4. TucsonKaHN

TucsonKaHN Junior Member

@Excalibaard Duly noted. I originally went with 25 singles because they immediately surpassed 18 doubles in terms of dissipation and heat threshold.Kanajashi's "Spreadsheet Warrior" was the tool I consulted, and it showed diminishing returns compared to double heat sinks that reached similar values at reduced tonnage. In hindsight, I should have looked at whether I could achieve better results with the max number of singles I could fit in contrast to the max number of doubles I could fit.

Another reason behind taking the Light 300 over the 285 was that it offered an additional space for mounting heat sinks. Speed alone was not the factor, so much as the impression that I would achieve superior heat management values. This may have been misplaced or erroneous thinking though.

5. Lorgot

Lorgot Advanced Member

Post patch upgrade

6. Excalibaard

Does the IS PPC quirk extend to HPPCs? The ERPPC quirk on the 9M doesn't. @Lorgot

7. Lorgot

Lorgot Advanced Member

Yes, but when it only mentions ppc, like sometimes there are ml quirks, it prolly means all of them @Excalibaard
    When a specific weapon is meantion like mpl then it’s only it

8. Excalibaard

But then an AC20 quirk is only the AC20, while UAC20 and LBX AC20 are excluded.
    PGI uses 'classes' of weapons ('PPC') and specific weapons ('IS PPC') almost interchangeably. Because it said IS PPC, I assumed only regular PPCs would be included in the change :)

9. TucsonKaHN

TucsonKaHN Junior Member

@Excalibaard It's always rather weird. Machine Gun R.o.F. quirks affect all variations of machine gun. Regarding your autocannon example, it seems that the system checks for the specific weapon type because "AC20" refers to a specific weapon. The UAC-20 and LB-20-X are functionally different compared to the Standard AC20, as well.

If PGI had thought ahead and wanted to guarantee that the Awesome 8Q's new quirk would affect only the basic PPC, I would have suspected it would have listed/coded the quirk in a similar fashion to some laser quirks by stating "IS Std PPC" to specify the system check only for the standard/"vanilla" PPC.

Personally, I think the inclusion of all PPC models is likely better for the game. It encourages a degree of build diversity.

10. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

The word I saw from multiple sources is that it may be a mistake that it's affecting all PPCs but they're going to let it ride for now and see how it goes. I can attest that running 3 HPPCs on the 8Q is quite viable (and fun). It's too soon to say if it's better than it should be

11. CarloArmato

CarloArmato Professional Potato Carrier

If they allow a 45 pinpoint damage alpha strike with 540+ optimal range on such build (and they do, because it really works), I would expect to see at least another build with 2xAC20 alpha that doesn't trigger ghost heat (HBK-IIC does not count, those clan AC are not pinpoint).

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast