AS7-K "DT" (1x Gauss, 1x LRM10+A, 1x ERPPC, 2x LLas, AMS, STD 300)

Thread in 'AS7-K' started by IanSane, Aug 19, 2013.

1. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Wanted to see what I could come up with for a long range build on the Atlas using a variety of weapons. I ended up enjoying this "Distant Thunder" build the most. Definitely NOT for the weak of pocketbook.

Many thanks to Lan and Blagg for their gentle (?) encouraging ;)

As always I am open to tweaks or suggestions.

I now dub thee the "Ian BlaggLan" limited edition collaborative mech beast.

Changes.
    Gauss ammo in with Gauss cannon as crit buffer
    Heatsinks now in the torso for zombification preventative measure
    ERPPC now in left arm to match Gauss cannon in left torso.
    LRM 10 to beat that pesky more ammo than holes thing issue doohicky thing.
    Maxed armor with more placed frontally.
    More cooling
    More ammo...
    and as a bonus TWICE the headaches!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  2. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Well, controversial is just the beginning of this build. XL engine, Gauss Rifle at the same time, Gauss ammo is safe and will not explode yet it is stored in the leg while lrm ammo is in right arm. :wtf:

The XL in an assault is not recommended, a Gauss Rifle has 3 hitpoints and explodes for 20 damage while sharing engine space...not a good idea.

If you want to do ballistics and a XL in a Atlas, maybe a ac10? If you want to keep the Gauss, loose the XL and use the Gauss ammo to critpad with. :D

I do like the PPC and 2 LLAS though, nice. Will think about that one.

3. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Thanks, thats why I put these here before buying them. I was told by a long time MWO friend that Gauss ammo is the most likely to explode. After checking the forums though it appears its not the ammo itself which is the danger but the rifle itself. It WILL force me to rethink this build a little. Most will still work but I need to get that volatile rifle off my engine. An autocannon WILL save on slots and weight but unfortunately the AC10 does not have the distance the gauss has nor the alpha punch which kind of negates the point of the build. Its easy enough to switch the LRM ammo to the legs to mitigate the LRM ammo particular danger but I still would love to get this combination on an Atlas. Will the max armor help mitigate the danger to the engine somewhat?

Well modified the build to make it less prone to spontaneous detonation at the expense of potential spontaneous combustion. Can fit everything with the STD300. I lose a ton of speed, a lot of efficiency but gain an extra ton of Gauss Ammo

4. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

XL Engine on an Atlas?? And that with a fragile Gauss.Rifle at Sidetorso???? Say Sayonara to your friends..

Your faults:

1. XL Engine on an Atlas -> never go for XL because Atlas lose Arms + right Sidetorso very fast
    2. LRM15.Pod on a 10'Missile.Tube -> 2 Volleys of 10 Missiles + 5 Missiles, no Good!
    3. Artemis for a single LRM15 with 10'Missile.Tube -> just a waste of Tonnage/Critslots
    4. BAP -> unnecessary for just a single LRM.Pod, only if you play pure LRM Boat Builds
    5. Only Long Range Weapons.. what do you do, if caught in Close Range?

My suggestion:

1. Go for STD300
    2. Replace the LRM15 by an SRM6
    3. Drop Artemis
    4. Drop BAP
    5. Either go for cooler dual MLas at CT, or go for cooler LLas or LPLas

Here my Mod:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=25&l=80aec0ffcf6f7832d6d7d255e54ceb06f16fddd6

you still can keep the ERPPC if you like. I prefer PPCs because of better Heat Management. You can also swap 1ton of Gauss.Ammo by 1ton of SRM6 if you like.

Weapon Groups:

1. Gauss (Sniping / Cooling Down)
    2. Gauss + PPC (Powersniping)
    3. LPLas (Mid - Close Range)
    4. SRM6 (Close Range)
    5. Alphastrike (Finisher)

Have fun & good luck! ;)

Blagg

5. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Relax Blagg, no need to panic that's why I put this here to begin with so I could get CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and have you veterans POLITELY help me with the build. I was misinformed about the Gauss which led me to the decision to use it with an XL. It was corrected in the second version albeit with some compromise to speed and efficiency.

6. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

edited my Post... :cool:

7. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Thanks for the critique now THATS what I was lookin for ;).

I used the ER PPC simply because they can be used in close unlike normal PPCs which helps with close in defense. Going to SRM6 and LPL is a great idea but unfortunately it is 180degrees out from what I wanted out of my mech. I have a close in brawler what I wanted was a way to make my Atlas have a decent alpha at long range while not gimping myself too much if things got close. The only weapons system I can't employ to their full effect at point blank range is the LRM. Yes I lose some DPS/Alpha at close range but if I were to build it any other way I would lose Alpha at long range which is where I wanted it.

8. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Hey again fhfwolfy!

Your second version is a lot better, I would place the ammo slightly different though.

By putting the Gauss ammo with the weapon, it increases the chances a critical hit will kill a ton of ammo instead of the weapon. If you loose the rifle, the ammo is useless anyway (except as critpads and they serve best protecting the weapon, IMHO). Also stuck the AMS ammo in the cockpit, you get hit there and it's goodnight anyways.

Now we are at 3 stars and climbing for 4 (I scored the first build as a two star and will change it :) ). The road to 4 and 5 stars is challenged by three things.

1/ You have a spare AMS slot which is a shame not to use but sure, it's your choice and it is not absolutely necessary.

2/ You are using a LRM15 on the K model which only has 10 tubes. Meaning you will get a fire cycle of 10, then 5 missiles. If you use a LRM10 you will cycle faster, if you use a LRM20 you will achieve two volleys and then a reload.

3/ That heat efficiency is not too great. Might want to consider going LLAS instead of ERLLAS.

Something like this?

But it's your build mate and your call, I'm just jogging your brain and helping you see new angles. I just may try the version above though cause it's very close to one of my current ones but with the ERPPC+2LLAS it's very interesting. :)

Edit: Blagg is making sense about dropping the Artemis, on a 10 pack it is hardly worth it. However, I do not agree with swapping it for a SRM6. It is very useful to stress the enemy and send some missiles into a retreating foe. As a Atlas, you cannot expect to catchup and will be plodding a fair bit. Being able to reach out and do damage is not a bad thing at all. As for BAP being useful, I think it is. You get faster target info data, increase the sensor range and can lock onto enemies with ECM (thus helping your teammates to lockon and see you have a foe close).

9. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

If you want long range Power then try dual ERPPC + Gauss. And forget the LRM.Pod. you need some Defense/Backup Weapons at Close Range. Really!

10. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

I like it.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback on the Missiles. I was unaware that this had a limited number of tubes so it makes a lot of sense to switch to the LRM 10 instead. I was actually staring at the LLAS myself when your reply came through. That settles it, excellent suggestion....hmmm lemme get to work...oh and Blagg...still love yer posts ;)

11. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Mind you, if the enemy has AMS he will kill about 5-7 missiles in every incoming flight.

With a LRM20, the 10 tubes will launch the second salvo a little bit faster then a normal recycle so the target will not be able to kill as many as he would have done, with a LRM10 firing twice.

Did you follow? :)

12. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Yep sure did unfortunately I am not certain I would be happy with the compromise id have to make going with the LRM 20 vs the 10. Its a huge weight slot difference between the two. In the mean time while I look for my shoehorn to try the LRM20 in it here's the latest incarnation.

2 AMS and much better cooling.

Alright I REALLY wanted a PPC for the x-factor it has...ECM etc but here ya go.

2tons of Gauss ammo critpad but only 1 AMS. LRM 20 and no ERPPS.

My personal preference is still the LRM 10 with the ERPPS but you have the experience not me so I will go with your suggestion instead.

13. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

i like your second last version. Why not drop one of the AMS for (2tons) more Ammo? Due to the purpose of your build, you keep Long Range Distance, so youd have time to get cover. More Ammo = more Defense, especially nowadays at 12v12 maps. ;)

btw, you need more Frontarmor. And why keep the Sniperweapons separated? Keep them together so you can sneak out of the corner for a Snipe and then get back in Cover. Aaaand put the DHS in the Sidetorsos for the case, if you lose Arms, you still have the Cooling!

here:

14. Lan

Lan Mech Wrangler

Bit of a warning here, 3 LLAS is going to cause extra heat. There's a funky heat penalty that comes in when you have more then 2 LLAS.

15. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

drum roll please........

I now dub thee the "Ian BlaggLan" limited edition collaborative mech beast.

Changes.
    Gauss ammo in with Gauss cannon as crit buffer
    Heatsinks now in the torso for zombification preventative measure
    ERPPC now in left arm to match Gauss cannon in left torso.
    LRM 10 to beat that pesky more ammo than holes thing issue doohicky thing.
    Maxed armor with more placed frontally.
    More cooling
    More ammo...
    and as a bonus TWICE the headaches!

16. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

change your Original Post with your optimized version and get some better rating! :cool:

17. IanSane

IanSane Advanced Member

Done!

18. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

voted with 4 of 5 stars. Its not a perfect build, but a decent one! ;)

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast