Career Archer 2S --- 22SRM+2ML Kintarcher Brawl

Thread in 'Archer' started by Toastygawa, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

So, the Kintaro is a beast. Fast, tough, and enough SRMs to destabilize the big mechs. Take that same concept and give it an increase to stability damage with SRMs, and it's obvious how to make the Archer into the same build, but with more power.

If your mech driver has 2 specialization in Tactics, the Archer can operate that turn early, just like if it were a Kintaro. Gunnery specialization isn't necessary, as this mech is best used to knock down other mechs early so your laser boat or stomper can coup-de-grace the fallen opponent. If you use Defense and Cover effectively, it keeps it alive.

[​IMG]
    Adjustments: As you like. Making that SRM4 into an SRM6 and dropping 1ML is doable, which would give you a shield arm.

Pros: 1120 Armor lets this walking missile rack soak damage, and heat is easy to manage. Loads of stab damage on the enemy.
    Cons: The Kintaro does all this as a medium, earlier in the turn, 2JJs barely contribute, no shield arm unless you do the above-mentioned adjustment.

2. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

Here's the same mech with career ++ optimizations.

[​IMG]

Note: Heat Efficiency rating is skewed by the Heat Bank, but is actually still about 7/10.

3. Shock

Shock Patron of the Underdog Staff Member

I'm curious what your experience is with heat banks. I find them not worth the tonnage as the increase in heat cap is rarely enough to make a noticeable difference.

4. Toastygawa

Toastygawa Active Member

So, the heat management equation is always fun. The simple answer is that if your tactics include alpha strikes with multiple hot weapons, spending a ton on a Heat Bank will give you maybe one round of overhead before using heat mitigation, which can be exactly what you need to get a threat off the field. This comes at the cost of longer cooldown time, especially in certain environments.

Most of us, I think, already use big bursts of damage to take out an opposing mech or two early in a fight, then mitigate heat after a couple turns by using melee or sacrificing damage output that turn. A Heat Bank lets you put off that mitigation method for another turn while your Grasshopper or Hunchback cores out 3 of the enemy lance instead of 2 before going for the punch.

They are similar in game mechanic to the Coolant Purge skill in that manner... With Coolant Purge, you clear enough heat (is it 50?) to keep fighting at the cost of 8 additional heat per 3 turns thereafter, making it ideal for finishing a fight, but a poor choice to deploy early on. The Heat Bank does almost the same thing constantly, giving you more room by adding 15-30 heat to your available ceiling, but does not help the cooling at all.

I like using Heat Banks on certain mechs to allow me to wipe an opposing lance in 2-3 turns instead of 3-5.

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast