Anansi "Wolfbane" (2x MPLas, 1x SRM4, 2x MG, 1x JJ, XL255)
5/5,

3 ratings

Thread in 'Anansi' started by lord_auriel, Oct 5, 2014.

1. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

Okay I had posted this before but it got lost in the Forum migration process.
    This species of spider is called called "Wolfbane" because it feeds of Timber- / Direwolves' legs.

I think this is it, the best setup for this magnificent mech. It is the ultimate nightmare of Direwhales and basically everything else too, even Jenners. I'm having 500 dmg games consistenly with this bugger and I think it's way better than my previous build, "Atrax Robustus". It also has much more ammo, you can now spam the MGs and less micro-management is required.

I like this much more than my Ember, which feels like a submarine compared to this.

The Anansi circles fatties and eats them alive, it's scary. It's a brawler and executioner.

Short description / justification:

- SRM4: Better "real" DPS than the SRM6 because it fires faster.
    - Medium Pulse Lasers: Medium lasers just suck on this mech. Painting damage all over is a waste and too risky (exposure time)
    - MGs: Don't underestimate them, two are enough for "lolwut where's your leg dude" from time to time.
    - 1 JJ: Enough. More just get you killed faster.
    - XL255: Fast enough, that engine is the sweet spot and you might already have it from the 5D

MODULES:

- MPLas cooldown / range
    - SRM4 cooldown
    - Radar Deprivation

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. Jacob Ling

Jacob Ling Benefactor

I can appreciate your thinking here but don't you really cripple the spider by removing the jump jets from it? I have not tested this one yet so won't rate it until I do but I always thought the strong point of the spider was the jumping ability.

3. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

I have tried similar versions of this with up to 3 JJ and I have to say that the only downside of having only one JJ is the inability to overcome vertical walls of a certain height (e.g. on Mining collective)
    One JJ is enough to fly across valleys and obstacles though ... I would NEVER remove that last JJ from it as it is what makes a spider special! But as it turned out, it works pretty well with only one.

Also I get taken out a lot by Gauss rifles, and that ALWAYS happens when I am using my Jumpjets to fly :p

4. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

PS, I use the SRM4 in the same group as the MGs - I fond three weapon groups too distracting in this twitch-monster

5. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah Staff Member

This could be caused by not having enough vertical and horizontal thrust; meaning you are slower in the air. I think PGI already put in thrust ratio didn't they?

Also, when engaged in combat, while in the air, you are lit up like a Christmas ornament, just hanging there, waiting to be smashed. :eek:

6. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

:rolleyes:

I still don't see what else you'd need JJs for than jumping over obstacles and crazy cornering-maneuvers

Don't get me wrong but I HAVE been playing the Spider 5V with 8 JJ and that's not a memory I'm fond of :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  7. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

[​IMG]
    source: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/164389-jump-jet-update/

This kept nagging me so I looked at the data from the latest JJ nerf in June.
    So let's take a quick look at this. 1 JJ va 3 JJ isn't even a 25% increase.

I agree that 5JJ vs 1 JJ make sense if you are willing to sacrificing something. You can do this on the anansi with srm4, 2MLas, 2xmg and XL255 Engine.

On the other hand, if you want SRM6 or MPlas on this mech, you can't possible go with more than 3JJ and that's just not worth it all. That's why I run this with only 1 JJ and see myself as a hybrid between a commando and a Spider.

EDIT:
    -----

I have tested 1, 3 and 5 JJ. Yes. 3 is better than 1 but you won't fly over the battlefield. The best option imho is

3jj (srm6, XL255)
    5jj (srm4, XL255-270)
    1jj with pulse lasers..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    The Verge likes this.
  8. LT Satisfactory

LT Satisfactory Benefactor

5/5,
    I'd rather drop some srm ammo for more JJ but I like the idea of MPLs even if you do lose a small amount of ML Quirk

9. Procellus

Procellus New Member

I think 2 tons of SRM ammo is too much. I would drop .5 ton of SRM ammo and use it for another JJ

10. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

"Ammo is Bae"
    -Mechlife Magazine 2014

11. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

hi guys I have decided to let the Anansi rest until the next Quirk pass. Right now with the new spider hitboxes and the COM-3A outperforming it as ankle biter in any way possible, there's not much to talk about really

If that thing gets what it deserves, namely 30% srm4 cooldown quirk and much stronger medium laser quirks, then i'm going to love the sh*t out of it again. Until then.. meh.

12. Matheos

Matheos Active Member

5/5,
    Even though the quirks don't match up with the MPL, using a pair of those over regular medium lasers completely changes the game. I wouldn't run this guy without them.

Some video of this build in action:

The Verge likes this.
  13. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

I bought the Anansi at 50% discount during the latest sale and this seemed to be the first obvious build to go for. Let's see how it fares.

14. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

5/5,
    Build approved.

[​IMG]

15. lord_auriel

lord_auriel Benefactor

lol.. yeah, it seems the anansi is back. This build is hotter than I'd like it to be but boy oh boy it is the most fun I've ever had in any mech in any game in any universe.
    1168 damáche and a duel with a warhawk in the end which I won.... my heart is still racing!