2H - It doesn't work for me...

Thread in 'Shadow Hawk' started by cs_kami, Dec 20, 2013.

1. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Partly venting partly not sure if i'm doing something wrong (actually i know i'm doing something wrong)...
    I'm loving the 2D2, i'm getting lots of kills and great damage. Plus i'm loving the harassment of lights that I can do in it... But the trip AC 2H... i just can't do well in it. I always die early. I think I need to switch to an STD engine and see if that helps. Any other advise?

It feels similar to my experience with Cataphracts... At least with the Cataphracts i'm now a proficient with the 3D and can really do damage.

2. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I would run the same loadout as your 2d2 in the testing ground, and see why it works so well. Then do something completely different.

3. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

really? strange. For me its the 5M, which has the most balanced Hardpoints of them all, but it's also a weakpoint. It can't streak very hard, can't dakka as the 2H and the two Energyhardpoints all in the right Arm - well, hope you don't lose that arm early. The 2H is actually great!

Which build do you use??

4. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

With the 2D2 i have 2xLLaser and 4xSSRMs with BAP and AMS.
    With the 2H i have tried the 2xAC5 and AC2, I am now running the 3xAC2 dakka dakka dakka build.
    I've tried doing an LRM build with tag (you can do an LRM 30 with this easily)
    I tried 2xAC5 and 3xSSRM (not BAP though).

I am using a 275xl in this though, and i think the 2D2 has a 300XL

5. Blagg Zear

Blagg Zear Star Lord

Try my Skirmisher Build, or the AC20.Build. If that doesn't help then load a (ER)PPC and some Streaks for Sniper Role.

6. The Verge

The Verge Moderator Staff Member

I just posted my build for the 2H. I mainly use it as a brawler, and with the JJ, the side torso's don't become a large liability

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=5128

7. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

I liked a skirmisher build, the 2xMGs plus the LBX (forgot that i started out with that one)... Gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling when i was playing it. I think that might be the most fun one i tried so i might go back to it.

8. Bashiba

Bashiba Well-Known Member

Its like you read my mind, I'm running the exact same two builds, Triple AC2's and 4streaks 2LL in the other.
    I was on the cusp of selling the 5m, but now I have been running 2 SRM 4's, and LBX, and 2 medium Pulse's. Its a blast I might keep it even though I can run the same build in the 2H.

9. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Little update, the Bug Zapper and the Skirmisher (very similar builds) are proving to be the most fun. I did get a handle on the 3xAC2 Infinite Dakka build of this mech too, and it can be a good deal of fun... Just stay way behind and make yourself look inconspicuous. If the enemy is 300m from you.. you're too close.

http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=4190.0
    http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/index.php?topic=4084.0

10. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

I found the 2xAC/5, 1xAC/2 to have not enough dakka for my tastes, and the 3xAC/2 to run too hot. I went with 1xAC/5 and 2xAC/2 and a backup MLas. The XL255 I shoehorned in is a bit slow and the torso twist speed suffers as a result, but if you hang back with fire-support 'mechs it works like a charm.

11. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

Archwright, i think that's part of the problem with Shadowhawks.. They need a minimum of 275 engine. Otherwise they become to slow and sloppy. They become prey for the heavies. It reminds me of the 4x quad AC5 Cataphract. sure it can pump out AC rounds, but it's so slow that it's a liability. (i'm liking the 3D thus far, the only Cataphract i've liked)

The role definition of a ShadowHawk is a light/medium hunter (As far as i am able to play it) With a PPC or LLaser, you can also hit the heavies/assaults, but without speed, either heavies or lights will chew you up, so your ideal speed should be closer to 90+kmph. If your doing 80, you can wind up dead, either from not being able to retreat fast enough or from being pecked away by lights.

12. Aylek

Aylek Administrator Staff Member

There are indeed only a view viable builds for a SHD with a slow engine. The 2D2 Smasher build mounting AC20 + PPC is one of them. That one is easily capable of taking on heavies as well. I stopped using oversized engines on the SHDs, though, XL300 being the biggest one at the moment. I still enjoy an XL350 on my KTO 18, but I prefer a stronger punch on my SHDs nowadays.

Current loadouts on my SHDs:
    2H: "Bodyguard" (LBX + LL + 3x SSRM2 @ XL275 (leftover from 5M))
    2D2: "Smasher" (AC20 + PPC @ STD 225)
    5M: "Suppressor" (Ac5 + AC2 + 2x SSRM2 + 2x MLas @ XL255)

13. Regina Redshift

Regina Redshift Sass Elemental

Ah, yes... the 2H Dakkahawk (aka: DH) is a very different playstyle. It's fast enough to keep pace with the quickest Jagermechs, but slower than basically every skirmisher of comparable weight. You have to play the DH very conservatively and stick close to things that can actually kill lights or next to a 'mech with comparable dakka (like an AC/2 Jager). I've also found that the advanced zoom module is a must for the DH, my damage output climbed dramatically when I added that. It's also very tricky to get the right dakka tempo while still maneuvering (and staying out of tight spaces).

The 2D2 begs to be a light hunter. Drop an XL325/350 in there, 4 SSRMs and BAP. With the spare tonnage cram 2xLLas or 2xMLas (maybe swap a laser out for a TAG), and you're golden.

14. cs_kami

cs_kami Benefactor

My most successful ShadowHawk build to date has been the 5M: 2xPPCs, 1UAC5, 2xJJs (a must for this build). I have been able to pin point shoot lights with (my T-16 back home) the twin PPCs, and those lights don't need too many hits to go down, but it is more of a heavy/assault hunter. It is the slowest Shadow Hawk, the only one that runs at 80kmps (without speed tweak), but it has a good punch. it definitely has the most weaknesses of any Shadow Hawk i've played, but it has the best K/D score too.

15. McleodUK

McleodUK New Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum after just recently getting back into the game.
    I'm using a 2H after watching some vids and reading some reviews etc. I find it really fun to play and with 3xAC2, 1 Mlas and an XL275 with double heatsinks I cant really say I find heat an issue.
    I can dakka away for a good length burst without any worry of overheating even when using the Mlas too. So far I've been averaging between 400-700 damage a round (in pugs) which I think for a relatively new player is quite good. I can see me doing a lot more as my piloting and map knowledge skills increase.

16. Michael

Michael Grand Poobah

I recommend just using the 3x AC2 without the MLas... Either add a DHS or another ton of ammo. That MLas is kinda like tits on a bull in my opinion.

For a relatively new player who hasn't honed the skillset yet 400-700 damage is excellent!!! Hell a lot of the top tier guys in the unit I belong to average that so well done!!!!

17. McleodUK

McleodUK New Member

Thanks Michael, that must have been a good day, took it out for a few battles today and averaged 250 ish, still I was never the worst guy on the team lol

top-fast
top-fast
top-fast
top-fast